Dan's Ride Blog

O+
Posted: Dec 18, 2012 at 15:59 Quote
Ride # 159
Vedder-DFL
Light snow

photo

I had to go out to Chilliwack to grab some goodies for my stocking from Jack's today so obviously that means it's a Vedder day today. After checking to see if Dr. Mark was off today which he wasn't he mentioned the DFL was in good shape so I decided to hit that side of the mountain. It was a light snow on the way there but nothing was really sticking the trail on the way up untill the very top. On the way down the trail was in good winter shape other than a new river that has emerged but Dr. Mark has a plan to remedy that soon.

O+
Posted: Dec 21, 2012 at 14:58 Quote
Ride # 160
Cloudy
Ledgeview

photo

The weather around here has been pretty crappy and we've had some icy snow hanging around on our local mountains so I had to hit a lower elevation route for today. I decided the south side of Ledgeview would do the trick. Rode up the road to then to S.O.B over to Hidden Valley then down Flinstone's, Autobahn, and Lower Ambi. The conditions were great Flinstones down got to love the rocky south side trails.

O+
Posted: Dec 23, 2012 at 17:27 Quote
Ride # 161
Heritage Park
Cloudy

Eugene put out a post about an ugly sweater ride today at Heritage Park so that sounded like a good plan as I wanted to try out some of the recent trail work done there my the Mission builders. There ended up being 5 of us on the ride which Mike lead up around the trails. Once we got to the top and had a little Fireball we headed down with most of the trails in good shape with just a few mud holes. There are lots of plans in the works at Heritage and I think when they are done it will be a go to lower elevation riding spot when we have crap weather like we do this last week.

Here is a shot of Eugene cleaning a tough climb in his fancy sweater.(he really just organized the ride so he could wear that sweater)
photo

The rest of the group
photo

O+
Posted: Dec 24, 2012 at 12:34 Quote
Ride # 162
Ledgeview
Cloudy

photo

Got out to Ledgeview for a sweet Christmas Eve ride this morning so I can eat even more than usual at the next couple day's festivities. The snow level has receded a bit but I still cut across at S.O.B and up Hidden Valley to south side cause I knew the conditions of the those trails would be good. I had never done Upper Ambi in a loop before and actually have not even been on the first half of the trail when going in the counter clockwise direction. What an awesome trail! You have to work for the goods but it's worth it. Matt did a great job carving out this trail. From there it was back onto Lower Ambi and out to the road. A fantastic ride that I wouldn't even need to clean the bike after if we didn't have all this salt and crap on the roads around here. Have a Merry Christmas and enjoy your family time.

O+
Posted: Dec 26, 2012 at 21:24 Quote
Ride # 163
Ledgeview
Cloudy

photo

Tom sent out an email to see who was up for a Boxing Day ride? Turns out only Kim and myself were around and off work to join him. With most of our local hills still covered in snow we headed for Ledgeview south side. Our first lap was Upper Ambi and we could all definately feel the excess food and drinks from the holiday festivies. From there we headed down Lower Ambi then up Lazy Boy, Tools of the Trade towards the top again. The snow was a little harder to navigate then the previous snow rides last week it was more like a tobagan ride than a bike ride. Once we got part way down the snow was gone and we got back to the sweet traction of the south side rocks again.

O+
Posted: Dec 27, 2012 at 15:39 Quote
Ride # 164
Heritage Park
Light rain

After taking the kids out to a friends hockey tournament this morning when I got home the weather was pretty decent so I decided to head up to Heritage Park after lunch to try and find my way around up there to see if I can put together a good lap. After getting started the rain stopped and I was off to find my way over to Gondola. After spending some time on Glen's Loop and a few wrong turns and some turn arounds I made my way to Gondola. Once finally on the trail I had a good ride up cleaning the freshly rebuilt corner near the top only getting stopped about a bike length from the top of the steep climb spinning out oh so close.But I was happy to clear the next 2 rock shelves to get to the intersection of Gondola, Hanaha's, Cory's Corners. The trail going up from there turned out to be Corey's Corner and it was a fun tight little single track that I hadn't been on before. There was just patches of snow on the sides of the trail and all the trails were in pretty good shape.

O+
Posted: Dec 28, 2012 at 16:08 Quote
Ride # 165
Ledgeview
Cloudy

The plan was to ride with Greg this morning but it turned out that he didn't get much rest on his night shift with AFD last night so he was in no shape to ride today. I couldn't pass up this nice December day so I headed for Ledgeview. The ride up was so I headed right up to the tower. There is less snow at the top then Sunday but the stuff that remains is wet and heavy with not much grip.Once I wrapped around to the south side the snow was gone and it was it's usual great condition over there. It was good to see a few tire tracks along the way and a handful of hikers out enjoying the sweet Ledgeview trails.

Posted: Dec 29, 2012 at 16:25 Quote
Nice work on 165 rides, Dan, way to go!! Are you gonna keep posting for 2013, or are you done? Thanks for the reading, I've enjoyed it. Happy new year, sir!!

O+
Posted: Dec 29, 2012 at 18:21 Quote
micanole wrote:
Nice work on 165 rides, Dan, way to go!! Are you gonna keep posting for 2013, or are you done? Thanks for the reading, I've enjoyed it. Happy new year, sir!!

Thanks! At least 1 more ride to come yet. I won't be doing a blog like this year but will continue to post up pics and little blurbs about about some of the cooler rides. Hoping to hit some new to me rides in 2013.

O+
Posted: Dec 30, 2012 at 17:04 Quote
Ride # 166
Ledgeview
Sun!

Well there is nothing like waking up to straight sunshine at the end of December so Greg and I got up to Ledgeview for Greg's 2nd ride on his 2013 Stumpy Evo 29er. The way up the road was good frozen for the most part and little tricky to navigate some of the icy rocks but still good. There was still a bit of snow at the top but cold temps over night made the old snow grippy again.
photo
We headed over to eXCelrator for some sweet south side action but mangaged to take a wrong turn at some point but that was ok as the weather was perfect for a tour of the mountain. We ended up riding a bunch of trails and I'm not even sure what they all were.
photo
Eventually we did end up at the Flinstone/Autobahn intersection and made our way down the usual trails from there. I ended up taking a little bit of time on Greg's bike and man was that a cool machine I'm thinking it's probably a bad idea as I have proven in the past riding new bikes puts bad thoughts in my brain.............

O+
Posted: Dec 31, 2012 at 13:01 Quote
Ride # 167
Ledgeview
Overcast light snow

Well I started 2012 with a ride and I'm ending 2012 with one too. Greg and I got up to Ledgeview for a ride this morning and the conditions were great. Most of the trails were frozen with lots of grip. Greg hadn't been on Upper Ambi before and now he has the perfect bike for it so we headed that way from S.O.B. over to Flinstones then up Upper Ambi. It's a solid grind up but worth while when you get there. Here's a couple shots from the rock roll near the top. The pics don't do the steepness of the rock justice one day we will need a real photographer(Ian)lol up there to get some real keeper shots. Stayed tuned for a recap when I get chance.

Greg
photo

Dan
photo

O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2013 at 12:58 Quote
2012 Ride Recap

photo

I thought it would be fun to go through the ride blog from the year and see where I rode and who I rode with. There are definately some people that I need to ride with more often some of you I didn't ride with at all this year unfortunately. I won't be doing a blog on all my rides this year but will post up pics and little blurbs about the more exciting rides over the year.

Ride total 167

Bear-60 rides
Ledgeview-50 rides
Sumas-19 rides
Vedder-18 rides
Red-9 rides
Heritage Park-4 rides
Other-7 rides

People I rode with

Ian H- 26 times
Nik V-16 times
Greg D-15 times
Linden V-9 times
Tom M-7 times
Josh C-6 times
Bob J-5 times
Mike S-5 times
Brian B-4 times
Wayne I-4 times
Jetta Mike-4 times
Dennis M-4 times
Rob F-4 times
Steve U-4 times
Mark S- 3 times\
Eugene S-3 times
Gavin L-3 times
Pete S-2 times
Shawn G-2 times
Others once each-3 times3

Thanks again to everyone I rode with this year and hope to ride with you all more often this year.

Dan

O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2013 at 13:01 Quote
Nice work Dan! That was the right bike for your season man - good looking fork too!

O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2013 at 13:14 Quote
whoo hoo! I won. My season ended a couple of weeks early. I am having a hard time getting the new season going. I will probably ride today.

O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2013 at 13:26 Quote
eyun wrote:
whoo hoo! I won. My season ended a couple of weeks early. I am having a hard time getting the new season going. I will probably ride today.

Indeed Ian you did. South side of Ledge has been sweet and Heritage is getting some nice new bridges if that helps your decision making?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022236
Mobile Version of Website