Raw / Polished - Bikes & Frames - No paint allowed

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Raw / Polished - Bikes & Frames - No paint allowed
Posted: Jun 2, 2017 at 21:32 Quote
Looking for some advice guys,Just polished up to bird aeris frame(pics to follow)looks great.How do I stop it tarnishing when I comes in contact with water and how do I remove the last of the black residue from the polish/oxide?
Got some Everbright,washed the frame with neutraliser before adding the protector coat,but it just tarnished it again,had to repolish.Can I just put the protector coat on with out the neutraliser?

Posted: Jun 3, 2017 at 13:07 Quote
My 2008 Focus Black Hills - nowhere near finished, but I thought I'd post it anyway. A friend and I attacked it with some heavy duty paint stripper and it took us ages to clean the downtube as Focus apparently puts foil over different layers of paint. Anyway, I've still got to figure out how to clean the welds completely as steel wool hasn't been of much help.

Long term plans include polishing and putting chrome stickers (similar to what you would find on a Canyon Stitched 720 or a Devinci YYZ). After that I might try to make a custom headtube logo for it Beer

BEFORE | Factory paintjob

My 08 Focus Black Hills moments before being completely disassembled in order to strip the paint off the frame.

AFTER | Raw unfinished frame

photo

photo

Posted: Jun 3, 2017 at 16:13 Quote
Has anyone had experience with chroming before? I rawed one of my previous builds, but will be chroming my current one this time.

Posted: Jun 4, 2017 at 16:04 Quote
holly hell, love it!!

Posted: Jun 14, 2017 at 5:51 Quote
My newest build taking shape, rawed Trek Remedy 7.
Mock-up photos......Smile

Trek Remedy 7 Mock-up. -Rochshox Monarch RC shock -Rockshox Yari 150mm.
Wheel and tire Mock-Up. -Velocity blunt 35 -Nobby Nic s 27.5x2.8

Posted: Jun 14, 2017 at 9:03 Quote
The perfect amount of red. Love it!

Posted: Jun 24, 2017 at 6:34 Quote
Old thread I know but I'm polishing my Intense spider and its looking pukka. How do you keep polished aluminium shiny???

Posted: Jun 24, 2017 at 7:14 Quote
ewawuwa wrote:
Old thread I know but I'm polishing my Intense spider and its looking pukka. How do you keep polished aluminium shiny???
everbright coating

Posted: Jul 30, 2017 at 7:28 Quote
Just finished stripping my 2014 Specialized Enduro

Stripped it using methylene chloride soaked kitchen rolls and wrapped in cling film for 20 mins. Removed the remaining paint using a rotary brush tool on my drill and went up the grades of wet and dry paper from 120 to 1200. Finished with wire wool. Sprayed ACF50 on the frame for a bit of protection. I used to run polished rims on my motorcycle, riding them in winter all the time, and ACF50 did the job nicely.

photo

photo

Posted: Aug 3, 2017 at 19:32 Quote
'09 BR. Just finished resurrecting it. Rawed and built up. Still a few things to swap out on it. Now has Sram Guides and I reamed the seat tube to fit a Reverb dropper.

photo

Posted: Aug 4, 2017 at 7:27 Quote
mrfrench2013 wrote:
'09 BR. Just finished resurrecting it. Rawed and built up. Still a few things to swap out on it. Now has Sram Guides and I reamed the seat tube to fit a Reverb dropper.

photo

Ya buddy! I have an 07 which I converted to trail use too (see my previous post and profile). Did exactly what you did and reamed out the seat tube to take a 30.9 mm dropper. Went with lightweight rims too (just a shade under 33 lbs now) and most importantly, and angle set to get my HA to 66.5 deg.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.019733
Mobile Version of Website