Raw / Polished - Bikes & Frames - No paint allowed

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Raw / Polished - Bikes & Frames - No paint allowed
Author Message
Posted: Nov 13, 2018 at 9:54 Quote
Good to know! Might give it a whirl over the winter.

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 15:19 Quote
Hey everyone! I would love it if you guys could help me, I’m 15 and I have this old road bike hanging around. I want to remove the paint and polish it. What do I need for polishing? Would a simple drill suffice? Also do I need to clearcoat it? And if I don’t will the Aluminium turn dull?
If it turns out to look really good I might try it on my Canyon Torque from 2011.
Keep in mind I’n 15 and I am currently working on saving up for a brand new bike, But it’ll be more than a year untill I have enough money saved up for that bike. So please keep in mind that my budget is kinda thight.

Do you guys have any tips for me? And maybe give your opinion?

Sorry for my bad English, I’m from The Netherlands and English is not my first language

Thanks alot!

Posted: Jan 21, 2019 at 17:48 Quote
BikeFanboy111 wrote:
Hey everyone! I would love it if you guys could help me, I’m 15 and I have this old road bike hanging around. I want to remove the paint and polish it. What do I need for polishing? Would a simple drill suffice? Also do I need to clearcoat it? And if I don’t will the Aluminium turn dull?
If it turns out to look really good I might try it on my Canyon Torque from 2011.
Keep in mind I’n 15 and I am currently working on saving up for a brand new bike, But it’ll be more than a year untill I have enough money saved up for that bike. So please keep in mind that my budget is kinda thight.

Do you guys have any tips for me? And maybe give your opinion?

Sorry for my bad English, I’m from The Netherlands and English is not my first language

Thanks alot!

Your English is perfect. No need to apologize.

Depending on your frame finish, you can start off with a chemical strip (for spray and powder coat). If it's anodized, you have no choice but to sand it down. Even if your frame was painted, you will still need to sand it down. The level of shine/polish will depend on how fine your sandpaper is. People usually start off with a coarse sand... about 320 grit, to 400, to 600, to 1000, up to 2000 grit. I usually stop at 1000 (I don't care if it's not a mirror finish).

If you have access to a buffing wheel, use that before the final polish using metal polish.

You don't clear coat... the paint will just peel off. You just maintain by polishing periodically.

Posted: Jan 21, 2019 at 17:53 Quote
I need a new hobby.


Posted: Jan 21, 2019 at 18:21 Quote
That fork Drool the crowns and lowers look awesome!!! Have you thought about replacing the stanchions with the black ones? Would look unreal tup

Posted: Jan 21, 2019 at 18:26 Quote
microfiz wrote:
I need a new hobby.


Hot DAMN!!!! nice one

Posted: Jan 21, 2019 at 18:56 Quote

It started off as a 2018 Rocky Mountain Altitude in May 2018.

had the paint sandblasted and left raw. I apply a wax coat to prevent rust once a month.

Posted: Jan 22, 2019 at 1:49 Quote
Aluminum doesn’t rust silly

Posted: Jan 22, 2019 at 8:28 Quote
beeboo wrote:
That fork Drool the crowns and lowers look awesome!!! Have you thought about replacing the stanchions with the black ones? Would look unreal tup

Haha! Thanks. I'll probably only do the stanchion swap if I stumble into a deal. I'm notoriously cheap. To a fault.

Posted: Jan 22, 2019 at 9:41 Quote
dhmtbr777 wrote:
Aluminum doesn’t rust silly

It oxidizes, which you'll want to avoid regardless.

Posted: Jan 22, 2019 at 10:01 Quote
sherbet wrote:
dhmtbr777 wrote:
Aluminum doesn’t rust silly

It oxidizes, which you'll want to avoid regardless.

Thanks for clearing that up

Posted: Jan 23, 2019 at 5:05 Quote
sherbet wrote:
dhmtbr777 wrote:
Aluminum doesn’t rust silly

It oxidizes, which you'll want to avoid regardless.

Yeah...no.
Aluminum is reactive and will react spontaneously with water and/or air to form aluminum oxide. Aluminum oxide, Al2O3, forms a stable passive layer that protects aluminum from corrosion or further oxidation. This layer is about 4 nm thick and will provide corrosion protection as long as this oxide layer is stable.
Same goes with the anodizing, it's colored oxide layer.

No need to care for the bare aluminum, it can take car of itself.

Posted: Jan 23, 2019 at 11:14 Quote
Scart35 wrote:
sherbet wrote:
dhmtbr777 wrote:
Aluminum doesn’t rust silly

It oxidizes, which you'll want to avoid regardless.

Yeah...no.
Aluminum is reactive and will react spontaneously with water and/or air to form aluminum oxide. Aluminum oxide, Al2O3, forms a stable passive layer that protects aluminum from corrosion or further oxidation. This layer is about 4 nm thick and will provide corrosion protection as long as this oxide layer is stable.
Same goes with the anodizing, it's colored oxide layer.

No need to care for the bare aluminum, it can take car of itself.

No what?

It does oxidize, some people don't like how that looks so they apply a treatment in order to prevent it. That's what he's done.

Posted: Jan 23, 2019 at 11:16 Quote
6061 Aluminum oxidizes. T7 Aluminum doesnt.

Posted: Jan 23, 2019 at 12:23 Quote
thunder-nuggets wrote:
6061 Aluminum oxidizes. T7 Aluminum doesnt.

T7 is only a hardness spec. I think you mean 7075, but whether or not it oxidizes, I don't know.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014624
Mobile Version of Website