Raw / Polished - Bikes & Frames - No paint allowed

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Raw / Polished - Bikes & Frames - No paint allowed
Posted: Jan 23, 2019 at 12:28 Quote
7005 is used too in konas. As for oxidation, I have many polished aluminum parts including a set of NOS MTX polished 24 inch wheels and they don’t have a lick of oxidation on them. I don’t even know what oxidation looks like on aluminum. Never had it happen.

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2019 at 12:33 Quote
masonstevens wrote:
thunder-nuggets wrote:
6061 Aluminum oxidizes. T7 Aluminum doesnt.

T7 is only a hardness spec. I think you mean 7075, but whether or not it oxidizes, I don't know.

thats it 7075 not T7... 7075 does not oxidize

Posted: Jan 23, 2019 at 12:49 Quote
dhmtbr777 wrote:
7005 is used too in konas. As for oxidation, I have many polished aluminum parts including a set of NOS MTX polished 24 inch wheels and they don’t have a lick of oxidation on them. I don’t even know what oxidation looks like on aluminum. Never had it happen.

Just gets a little cloudy looking. Can be rad.

Posted: Feb 3, 2019 at 14:37 Quote
Recently had an op and couldn't ride for 6 weeks, so I thought I'd keep myself busy.

Before
photo

After
photo
photo
photo

Posted: Feb 3, 2019 at 15:49 Quote
Way better. Commencals paint sucks

Posted: Feb 3, 2019 at 15:50 Quote
dhmtbr777 wrote:
Way better. Commencals paint sucks

I dunno, the new commies look pretty good. Still, RAW rocks..

Posted: Feb 3, 2019 at 19:03 Quote
metaam wrote:
Recently had an op and couldn't ride for 6 weeks, so I thought I'd keep myself busy.

Before
photo

After
photo
photo
photo

That looks great tup

How do you like the 350? Thoughts on the rear shock too? They are very rare to come by

Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 0:17 Quote
beeboo wrote:

That looks great tup

How do you like the 350? Thoughts on the rear shock too? They are very rare to come by

Thanks Guys. I'm really happy with both the fork and the rear shock. I prefer the 350 to the Pike I have on another bike and the 053 is superb. It has a real bottomless feel on this bike and it's very tunable, no need for messing around with spacers/tokens. The only hassle is I have to send it to Germany for a service. No one in this country can do it as Silverfish, the UK Marzocchi distributor, don't support it.

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 6:21 Quote
That looks awesome meta!

I was thinking I should raw my warden when it’s time for new bearings/bushings, and that settles it! Definitely going to pull the trigger now.

Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 10:17 Quote
Thanks. Be prepared for a fair bit of work, it's not a 2 minute job if you want a good finish.

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 15:08 Quote
I did my old Devinci Wilson by soda blasting it and nothing else. Cost about $100 and was dead easy. Finish was pretty dull but it looked decent. I think I’m going to do the same thing, but go the extra mile and polish the Warden a bit this time.

What method did you use?

Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 23:37 Quote
I stripped the frame with Nitromors. I found it worked best when left on the frame for 5-6 days (rather than the 2 hours it said on the can!). I then took off the worst of any defects with 120 grit wet and dry. After that I flatted down the entire frame with 800, 1000,1200,1500,2000 and 2500 grit.Went over again with T Cut, then polished with Silvo Wadding. Fair to say it took a while. I've also sealed it with Renaissance Wax in an attempt to keep oxidation at bay.

Posted: Feb 6, 2019 at 9:05 Quote
I can't remember if I ever posted a picture of my Commencal V2 after I finished it.

photo

And here it is setup for the slopes because why not?

photo

Posted: Mar 9, 2019 at 17:29 Quote
4yrs raw, just got some fresh raw bars..
photo

Posted: Mar 11, 2019 at 7:24 Quote
Nice DJ! Just got one too and could not resist doing some cleaning:

From this:
Before photos. Fork was shot aluminum was oxidized needed a little TLC. Fork rebuilt using existing parts inner foam was dry and super dirty . Removed spacers 80 mm travel currently . Repainted lower from white to black. Removed decal. Sanded buffed and polished frame. Painted cranks. Reinforced sliding dropouts the threads were stripping... used longer bolts and nuts to secure . New post and saddle blue to match headset .

To this:
New tires new pedals new cranks. Travel set at 100 mm. Wheels trued.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.022578
Mobile Version of Website