Raw / Polished - Bikes & Frames - No paint allowed

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Raw / Polished - Bikes & Frames - No paint allowed
Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 8:01 Quote
Right on he said he tries to blast it first if that doesn’t work he dips it and charges 120$ for that but this is Bay Area with tech money prices

Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 8:22 Quote
Client9 wrote:
This is the frameset I'm building this Spring: [Jamis Portal]
With this shock: [coil]

Just so you know, the Portal has a falling motion ratio. It is the least suitable bike on the market, in this category, for a coil shock.

O+
Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 8:39 Quote
splayleg wrote:
Right on he said he tries to blast it first if that doesn’t work he dips it and charges 120$ for that but this is Bay Area with tech money prices

Wow that’s steep. Very different cost of living from here in Utah. Not that it’s getting any cheaper here though...

Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 9:52 Quote
What´s the best way to raw an orange stage 5 frame? would a paint remover do the trick?

Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 17:34 Quote
splayleg wrote:
[PI=][/PI]
photo
Like tearing up a hardwood floor and finding beautiful 70s shag carpet under 5 onces of paint

Nice bike!

Jason, right? Your PB name sounded familiar and I had to look back at old inbox messages (we crossed paths at Pacifica and Demo a while back). LOL!

Just recently discovered UCSC goodies but haven't had a chance since this SIP thing. Hope to see you and this World Cup monster on the trails sooner than later. =)

Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 18:44 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Client9 wrote:

Just so you know, the Portal has a falling motion ratio. It is the least suitable bike on the market, in this category, for a coil shock.

Damn. Guess I'll reconsider then.
Would a progressive spring help matters?

Thanks.

Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 19:17 Quote
Client9 wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
Client9 wrote:

Damn. Guess I'll reconsider then.
Would a progressive spring help matters?

Thanks.

Yes, but not enough for me to recommend it.

Posted: Apr 14, 2020 at 12:15 Quote
hi how would i go about stripping the paint off my bike i have a specilized pitch fsr 2012 and i want to bring some life back into it i was thinking of striping the paint of with a sander and then going over it with some lighter sand paper then polishing it and waxing it with car wax would this work

Posted: Apr 14, 2020 at 12:48 Quote
mattcoop353 wrote:
hi how would i go about stripping the paint off my bike i have a specilized pitch fsr 2012 and i want to bring some life back into it i was thinking of striping the paint of with a sander and then going over it with some lighter sand paper then polishing it and waxing it with car wax would this work

For getting the paint off you're better off using paint stripper or getting it media blasted than using a sander.

Posted: Apr 14, 2020 at 15:10 Quote
commental wrote:
mattcoop353 wrote:

For getting the paint off you're better off using paint stripper or getting it media blasted than using a sander.

I'm not saying it's pretty (wasn't the goal), but I've done this with the flat bit of a pair of scissors and sandpaper...

zircus covid treatment

O+
Posted: Apr 14, 2020 at 15:52 Quote
mattcoop353 wrote:

Pay a powder coating place to chemically strip it. Cost me $40. Clean it up with a purple scotch brite pad and polish if you wish. I used Mother’s wax and it was almost annoying how reflective it was on a sunny day.

Posted: Apr 15, 2020 at 12:42 Quote
would i be able to use nitromors all purpose to remove the paint of my bike as it took me all day to clean up one bit of my bike and it does not look the best

Posted: Apr 15, 2020 at 13:13 Quote
Yes. You'll probably have to leave it on for a lot longer than the instructions say, but eventually it'll take the paint off. Be prepared for a lot of work.

Posted: Apr 16, 2020 at 6:42 Quote
Forget Nitro morse, its main chemical ingredient was removed some years back due
to new regulations, it now rides on its reputation prior to this main ingredient being removed
as the go to paint stripper, in the UK at least.

The industrial grade paint strippers will have Dichloromethane (DCM or methylene chloride)
this is what was removed from most DIY comercial paint strippers.

You can buy Dichloromethane (DCM or methylene chloride) online, though it will not have the
gel medium to stick and hold on your frame, its a watery liquid therefore placing tissue paper
over your frame to hold it then cover in cling film to prevent evaporation, 10mins later the paint will
have flaked off leaving bare metal. Though in one instant it failed to remove any paint from a frame,
only barely removed the satin clear coat, unknown paint type that was resistant to the chemical.

The best and easiest way to remove paint is go to a auto paint shop, powder coater, wheel refurbishers or
similar, who may have an acid bath for chemical dipping, they will dip your frame fully
removing all paint, costs around £15-20

Then if said paint shop has a means of medium blast see if they have a soda blast option,
this is basically blasting soap like balls at the surface of the metal, which polishes it to mirror.

Near me is a wheel refurbisher restorer, they powder coat wheels and so have chemical bath
aswell as soda blast for polished alloys, and fortunately have the facility to do large items,
motorbike frames, mtb frames auto parts etc, they only advertised as doing wheels but on
contacting them they were open to doing all kinds of stuff, so worth a call to see.

Posted: May 14, 2020 at 1:12 Quote
Hi, I was going to get my Ransom acid dipped and clear coated. Absolutely love the bike but hate the colours. Got a £70 quote from a local metal works place. Wondering if there's any specific UK shops that deal with bikes on a regular basis? That would save me getting a mechanic to remove then reinstall the bearings after. Debating also getting it polished now too. I have access to printing my own decals at work, so i will be making a couple of custom Giger/Alien graphics for it.
Cheers

https://m.pinkbike.com/photo/18684742/

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013099
Mobile Version of Website