Raw / Polished - Bikes & Frames - No paint allowed

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Raw / Polished - Bikes & Frames - No paint allowed
Posted: Apr 19, 2022 at 3:41 Quote
My vintage around town/road/gravel/trail build.

Posted: Apr 19, 2022 at 17:47 Quote
Here is an update from the build, the silver bullet, or silver surfer, ahh I cant decide!! Got chrome transition logos on, and it is pretty trippy, thinking about buying a set of red chrome decals for some more pop. Also scored a vorsprung coil Lyrik for the front. Bike is 170/170mm and feels like a magic carpet,

Posted: Apr 20, 2022 at 3:57 Quote
Loving the look of the Patrol !

You’re making me want to do my Process 134 next winter

Posted: Apr 20, 2022 at 12:00 Quote
mountainman24 wrote:

Thanks man! Dot it! It's been pretty fun building this bike up, still need to figure out how to clean aluminum without having to scratch/sand the stains off the surface, I was reading vinegar works or some lemon juice. The aluminum stains easily with any type of oils that touch it or rubber like from my bike stand clamp.

I want to fully clean the stains that have been picked up then wipe some polish on it to create a protective barrier.

Anyone have any good tips for keeping the RAW frame from collecting ugly stains?

Posted: Apr 20, 2022 at 12:58 Quote
Its been a while, but Isopropyl alcohol is worth a try, I’d also be curious to try mr clean magic eraser on it , maybe even combines with isopropyl

A polished frame is going to be much easier to keep clean than a matte / rough texture - keep experimenting and post what you find !

Posted: Apr 20, 2022 at 13:45 Quote
907nattylight wrote:
mountainman24 wrote:

Thanks man! Dot it! It's been pretty fun building this bike up, still need to figure out how to clean aluminum without having to scratch/sand the stains off the surface, I was reading vinegar works or some lemon juice. The aluminum stains easily with any type of oils that touch it or rubber like from my bike stand clamp.

I want to fully clean the stains that have been picked up then wipe some polish on it to create a protective barrier.

Anyone have any good tips for keeping the RAW frame from collecting ugly stains?

I use Renaissance Wax on mine. It lasts well, buffs up nicely and slows oxidisation. It looks like it's available in the US.

Posted: Apr 20, 2022 at 14:21 Quote

I used Mother's wax, and you could almost get a reflection off of it. Almost annoyingly bright and reflective. Not the best pic, but it's another option.

Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 6:43 Quote
I use Eagle One PVD/Aluminum wheel cleaner and a Scotch Brite pad. I have used it on a few bikes.
It leaves a satin matt aluminum raw finish. Not a polished look, but I enjoy not giving it much attention when done.....

Posted: May 21, 2022 at 8:17 Quote
Rockshox have the Pike Ultimate in the polished lowers version. I want to make my Zeb look like that.
People say nothing will stick to the polished mag lowers. Is the Pike polished and treated, or is that just a very nice paint colour that looks like polished metal?
Years ago there was a grey raw totem. I heard it was galvanised though. Can anyone comment on either?

Posted: May 21, 2022 at 9:04 Quote
jaame wrote:
Rockshox have the Pike Ultimate in the polished lowers version. I want to make my Zeb look like that.
People say nothing will stick to the polished mag lowers. Is the Pike polished and treated, or is that just a very nice paint colour that looks like polished metal?
Years ago there was a grey raw totem. I heard it was galvanised though. Can anyone comment on either?

The silver pike ultimate is NOT polished, its painted. I've come close to replicating that paint job though, as I made some parts that I wanted to match my silver Pike. Here are some photos of the paints I used, as well as comparison to the Pike. The saddle shell and rear fender have the 'replicated' paint color.
https://www.pinkbike.com/u/Fabris/album/parts-I-designed-and-built/

Posted: May 21, 2022 at 9:57 Quote
Thanks for that... so if it's paint, I could feasibly get my carbon frame donw that colour too.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 13:11 Quote
Here is the final build.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 14:41 Quote
While you were busy polishing your frame your grass got really long.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 16:26 Quote
DJ-24 wrote:
While you were busy polishing your frame your grass got really long.

Not to mention that I aged a year while polishing lol I live in a rental and the landlord doesn't let me use his mower Thumbs Down lets the grass grow long..

Posted: Jun 5, 2022 at 18:10 Quote
https://m.pinkbike.com/photo/21868356/

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012751
Mobile Version of Website