SPIKE RACE 28 WHEELSET any one used them?

PB Forum :: Downhill
SPIKE RACE 28 WHEELSET any one used them?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 13, 2012 at 14:28 Quote
Was looking to get these for my knew Transition build this spring and just curious if anyone has had a chance to spend some time on these? I was just wantin to know if they are pretty heavy duty and would make a whole season of ridin DH and freeride.

Any info. helps
Thanks

Posted: Jan 15, 2012 at 11:37 Quote
No one has used these yet?

Posted: May 28, 2012 at 13:34 Quote
Bump, any1 used em yet im wandering about buyin a set

Posted: May 28, 2012 at 18:45 Quote
Darthmord wrote:
Bump, any1 used em yet im wandering about buyin a set

I have set on my M9..I don't want to sound like having a biased point of view, because of sponsorship, but I love my SPANK EVO RACE 28's
New Tuf Rack s Picked them up today Thanks to Jon Tuf Rack
SPANK Ind Thank you
I have the 35's also. Both rims are the same in construction, but the 28's are much lighter. pretty comparable to the 6.1's I rode in previous yrs. They are a little narrow which changes the tire profile a bit compared to the 35's but that's expected. I have the 35's on my SS with a 2.35 MAXXIS and they look like 2.5's. The 2.5's on my 28's are fantastic. Profile is good, weight is perfect. The black finish is mint. I don't think you'll have a problem with the 28's. Race proven through rock section after rock section. The wheel is only as strong as it is built. NOTE: People always get buddies to build a wheel and the rim blows to hell on a burly section. Properly built and tension-ed any hoop is strong as hell. Its your choice, but this weekend I seen a lot of SPIKE 35's and mine were the only EVO 28's. Turned a few heads.

Posted: Dec 10, 2012 at 4:58 Quote
My friend is using the race28s tubeless with thin tyres, 2.35 minion and 2.1 medusa. He tells me he can hear them banging off rocks and there is no damage after a good few rides and two races. Actually he doesn't seem bothered because it's a bike he borrowed.

Anyway on the back of that I'm planning to get a set in a couple of months when I change frames.

Currently I have the Hope/Stan's Flow wheels which were very highly rated by every website I looked on. I think the rims are pants. Rolled the back tyre off first ride and scratched the shit out of half the rim. A couple of weeks ago hit an errant rock on a DH practice run and dinted the shit out of the front rim. On closer inspection there are three dints on the back rim and that massive flat spot on the front.

Props to the Schwalbe tyres for not flatting on any of that.

In my opinion the Flow rims' "BST" bead shape is too thin and flimsy.

Mike from Spank tells me the quality of the alloy used on the race 28 is higher than any other company are currently using. The strength of the race 28 is said to be on a par with the DT FR600, and that's for a 500g rim.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012982
Mobile Version of Website