Flatspot in headtube after buying/ getting shipped a used frame

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Flatspot in headtube after buying/ getting shipped a used frame
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 17, 2012 at 11:23 Quote
06 Iron Horse 7 Point

Top leading edge of over-sized headtube has been impacted/pressed flat,

Can this be fixed?

Can aluminum be bent back, or will it crack, or is frame ruined?

I purchased paypal, so i can make a claim and send the frame back i believe

BUT I JUST WANT TO KEEP THE BIKE AND RIDE IT!

Posted: Jan 17, 2012 at 11:52 Quote
Get some pics up, but it sounds like you're in the market for another frame...

Posted: Jan 17, 2012 at 12:52 Quote
drinkhit wrote:
06 Iron Horse 7 Point

Top leading edge of over-sized headtube has been impacted/pressed flat,

Can this be fixed?

Can aluminum be bent back, or will it crack, or is frame ruined?

I purchased paypal, so i can make a claim and send the frame back i believe

BUT I JUST WANT TO KEEP THE BIKE AND RIDE IT!

nope it cannot be easily fixed, as it is

unless the head tube is long enough that your local shop can effectively shorten the head tube length by facing the top portion with a HT facing tool (this can often be done, as long as you don't end up cutting into the weld between the HT and top tube

this would remove the damaged section so you are starting with a fresh head tube face and bore to insert your headset into

if your frame has a short head tube, and no spare room to undertake this procedure, you should ship it back to the seller and claim your $$ back

Posted: Jan 17, 2012 at 12:53 Quote
http://drinkhit.pinkbike.com/album/06-Iron-Horse-Headtube-damage-out-of-USPS-Box/

(check my photos under my profile to see pics if link dont work)

This is an album of a dozen photos of the headtube damage.

Appreciate any opinions, thoughts, experience, strategy, or drink recommendations.

Posted: Jan 17, 2012 at 13:00 Quote
Just looked at the pics. If it were me i'd send it back and start looking for a refund, that thing was absolutely not packaged properly. bandit has a valid point about facing off enough material to get a clean interface, but it looks like that headtube is bent all the way down to the weld. Rogue, Dead Guy Ale, it helps me deal with unfortunate biking related experiencesSalute

Posted: Jan 17, 2012 at 13:01 Quote
I wouldn't recommend bending it back. It's doable since aluminium is quite flexible, but that'd probably weaken the headtube. It's not really a stressed area, but well ...

I would recommend to start a claim through Paypal and clear that with the seller. You may be able to see with him and the transporter for any insurrance claim.

Posted: Jan 17, 2012 at 13:25 Quote
The whole story right heea

headtube dent flatspot in front top edge 06 Iron Horse 7 Point Aluminum

Posted: Jan 17, 2012 at 13:30 Quote
Yeah, well there was no padding on the head tube, seat tube, bb or rear dropouts.

The droputs started wearing through the box, and the derailleur hanger is bent 99% sure it's toast.

So, despite it's diesel construction....

Thank you IMAKETHINGS, Hampsteadbandit, and Ploutre. You guys are what make pinkbike and bikeriding community awesome.

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 at 13:18 Quote
Well a paypal claim would be best and get a refund.
As if you start messing with it and then it cracks that would be your fault.
Also was this the senders fault or the delivery company's fault?
Do you still have the box it was sent in?

Or you could try and heat it up and push the headset in , or file it and make it more round than it is.

But if it was me i would be paranoid about it all the time and may be unsafe.

Hope you get it sorted buddy.

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 at 17:39 Quote
Bad luck chap send it back ASAP

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 at 17:43 Quote
I wouldn't ride that. Shipper should have packaged it better, although if they put insurance on it you may be able to get something from the shipping company as well. Either way I'd say you should get a refund unless it was clearly damaged before it was shipped, in which case you're at fault for buying an already wrecked frame--but I'm guessing that is not the case Big Grin

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 at 17:47 Quote
did you buy it off PB ?

Posted: Jan 20, 2012 at 11:04 Quote
Yes, I bought it off Pinkbike. Advertised as fully operational, and shown built up.
(Obviously, a headset cannot be pressed in right now.)

Bike was not packaged properly. (No padding on frame at all--just peanuts)

There is some evidence that bike was damaged in shipping, (Holes in box matching headtube and rear dropouts)

For liability reasons what IS important is that I received damaged goods when sold as functional.

REALLY RATHER JUST RIDE THE BIKE!!! BUT I GATHER THERE IS NO WAY TO FIX IT? NO SAFE WAY?

SHOULD I EVEN ATTEMPT TO RIDE IT? SAY IF I GOT A PARTIAL REFUND?

Posted: Jan 20, 2012 at 11:17 Quote
drinkhit wrote:
Yes, I bought it off Pinkbike. Advertised as fully operational, and shown built up.
(Obviously, a headset cannot be pressed in right now.)

Bike was not packaged properly. (No padding on frame at all--just peanuts)

There is some evidence that bike was damaged in shipping, (Holes in box matching headtube and rear dropouts)

For liability reasons what IS important is that I received damaged goods when sold as functional.

REALLY RATHER JUST RIDE THE BIKE!!! BUT I GATHER THERE IS NO WAY TO FIX IT? NO SAFE WAY?

SHOULD I EVEN ATTEMPT TO RIDE IT? SAY IF I GOT A PARTIAL REFUND?

don't bother, the integrity of the headtube is so fundamental to the safe operation of your bike that its simply not worth the grief

do everything you can (go after the seller and the shipping agent) to get your hard earned $$$ back

Posted: Jan 20, 2012 at 11:19 Quote
karma police never forget.. go buy a lottery ticket....

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012375
Mobile Version of Website