Thud sound after oil change in rockshox lyrik?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Thud sound after oil change in rockshox lyrik?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 18, 2012 at 7:16 Quote
K, I just changed the oil in my 2010 lyrik coil, no new seals or anything, just fresh oil. It was purchased brand new, maybe 4 months of riding on it total. After changing the oil I turned it upside down and noticed a thud sound coming from the lower on the non-coil rebound side. I can actually feel it. I didn't shake it around before the oil change so I'm not sure if this is common or I put it back together wrong....? The lowers were removed and re-installed according to manual. Anybody know what this is....? Thanks, Joe

O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2012 at 10:12 Quote
There is a rubber spacer/bumper at the bottom of each fork leg. When you pull the lowers, and clean them etc, this rubber piece sometimes gets dislodged. It is possible that the rubber bumper wasnt seated properly back at the bottom of the fork legs when you re-installed? If it were loose, it would slide up and down inside the fork leg when you turned it upside down and give a light thud I would think. Just drain the oil out of your lowers and pull them off to see they are seated properly.

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 at 11:40 Quote
Right on, I'll check that when I get home. Any pointers on how to reseat the bumpers if that's the issue?

O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2012 at 11:51 Quote
Just use a piece of wooden dowel, or something that is long enough to make sure it is seated on the bottom, but wont scratch up the sides of your lowers. You just need to make sure it is sitting flat in the bottom of the fork leg and it doesnt matter which way up it is.

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 at 12:04 Quote
Cool deal man, thanks again! I'll let you know how it works out...Cheers

shoreboy1866 wrote:
Just use a piece of wooden dowel, or something that is long enough to make sure it is seated on the bottom, but wont scratch up the sides of your lowers. You just need to make sure it is sitting flat in the bottom of the fork leg and it doesnt matter which way up it is.

Posted: Jan 19, 2012 at 15:14 Quote
shoreboy1866 wrote:

Sweeeeeet!. After 2 more attempts I finally got it! It was the rubber spacers at the bottom. All good now, thanks again!!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009390
Mobile Version of Website