Am tyres all round

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 18, 2012 at 13:22 Quote
I'm looking for a new set of tyres for my am bike I currently have a hobby nic on the front ( it's alright not the best) and a rocket Ron on the back which is awful , give me your recommendations

O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2012 at 18:08 Quote
I'm running Continental Rubber Queen (sold as Mountain King in the North American market) on my AM hardtail and they look great so far. I'm running 2.2 rear/ 2.4 front and both of them are the UST version run tubeless. 2.2 rolls nicely while 2.4 is huge which makes for a great front tire with lots of grip.

Still the same tires may work differently on diferent bikes so tyre choice is always a gamble. I wish you good luck in your search and I hope you nail it on the first try.

Posted: Jan 19, 2012 at 8:34 Quote
I like the 2.1 kenda nevagals with the "stick-e" compound. Not the fastest on hardpack, but great on everything else! I usually ride wet rocky trails with lots of roots. They are very predictable tires.

Posted: Jan 19, 2012 at 11:24 Quote
Lapsus wrote:
I'm running Continental Rubber Queen (sold as Mountain King in the North American market) on my AM hardtail and they look great so far. I'm running 2.2 rear/ 2.4 front and both of them are the UST version run tubeless. 2.2 rolls nicely while 2.4 is huge which makes for a great front tire with lots of grip.

Still the same tires may work differently on diferent bikes so tyre choice is always a gamble. I wish you good luck in your search and I hope you nail it on the first try.
Yes, not only are the "best" tires often regional (especially for UK riders) but tire clearance varies for different bikes too.

Lapsus - yes, I've heard the Black Chili rubber used in the Rubber Queen/Trail King is very sticky, so sounds like a good tire choice for damp/wet (UK winter?) conditions.

Posted: Jan 19, 2012 at 11:34 Quote
Cheers , I was looking at maxxis cross mark lust , are these any good?

O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2012 at 11:40 Quote
You got a huge range to choose from so 1st thing is to get your priorties.
If you want all out grip and dont mind a harder climb then something around the 2.3+ would do you. However if your on a bike with less travel eg 120 area (like i am) then something like a 2.1 might be better for easier climbing. Another thing to check with lesser travel bike is if a bigger tyre will even fit on my Whyte a 2.1 is the biggest i can fit any more and the wheel will hit the frame at full travel.

I personally like a tyre upfront that has good side knobs soit will bite in when cornering other than that im not that fussy.

On an am bike a belive a rear tyre to be the hardest choice as its doing so much you want a tyre that will brake well grip on techy climbs and also corner and decend well.

My favorite tyres would be on the front:
Specialized Eskar 2.3 Good high volume tyre that was predictable hoever did like to skate around on loose marble type stuff.
WTb wierwolf 2.1 This suprised me as it not an aggressive tread but came on my new bike so thought id try it and for its size its a damn good tyre deffintly recommend however ive only ever ran it tubless and other reviews do say this make a big diffrence to how supple it feels.

Rear:
Specialized captain good climbing and predicable when its going to slide.
WTB wierwolf 2.1 again came on my bike and is a really good tyre

some other tyres ive tried but didnt get on with are the specialied purgatory on the back it just had no bite and span on more slippy climbs, Continental vertical was just teribble as was a hutchinson tyre i tried.
Finally Kenda Nevegals they wernt bad as a rear tyre it performed well but front was nothing special.

Sorry that turned into an essay hopefully its of some help

Edit just notied you asked about the crossmark ive not used it but a friend has in the exception casing he said alot of grip but 4 puncture in one ride however the lust casing should solve that so should be a good tyre.

Posted: Jan 19, 2012 at 11:51 Quote
Cheers mate , I have a commencal meta team 5.5 it has 150 ml on the front so climbing is a litter bit harder , I reckon the biggest it could have is 2.5s , my dad has specialized captain tyres they are good for in the summer and have lots of grip for 2s but I prefer wider tyres

Posted: Jan 19, 2012 at 14:16 Quote
I will have to support the rubber queens too, tried all my mates spare tyres (around 8 diff ones) in September as my high rollers were dragging too much. Fell for the rq instantly, got the 2.2 black chilis on my alpine 160 and run them at unbelievably low pressures with little drag, the grip is amazing on all surfaces which I think is down to the compound, they are definitely on the large side for a 2.2, similar to other brands 2.3 or 2.35.

Try a few different tyres before you commit to one off the basis of reviews though, everyone has differing opinions

Posted: Jan 20, 2012 at 11:37 Quote
Liamcrook wrote:
I will have to support the rubber queens too, tried all my mates spare tyres (around 8 diff ones) in September as my high rollers were dragging too much. Fell for the rq instantly, got the 2.2 black chilis on my alpine 160 and run them at unbelievably low pressures with little drag, the grip is amazing on all surfaces which I think is down to the compound, they are definitely on the large side for a 2.2, similar to other brands 2.3 or 2.35.

Try a few different tyres before you commit to one off the basis of reviews though, everyone has differing opinions
Yeah, I hear RQ 2.4" is huge.

Posted: Jan 20, 2012 at 13:12 Quote
JoeeeCunningham wrote:
I'm looking for a new set of tyres for my am bike I currently have a hobby nic on the front ( it's alright not the best) and a rocket Ron on the back which is awful , give me your recommendations
Conti Rubber Queen or Panaracer CG All Condition/All Mountain.

Hard to go wrong with either except for extreme wet/mud.

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2012 at 8:56 Quote
brianl wrote:
Yes, not only are the "best" tires often regional (especially for UK riders) but tire clearance varies for different bikes too.

Lapsus - yes, I've heard the Black Chili rubber used in the Rubber Queen/Trail King is very sticky, so sounds like a good tire choice for damp/wet (UK winter?) conditions.

So far I'm very happywith them: low drag, good grip and a softer ride. The latest is a big plus for any AM hardtail rider. Wink I'm using them in northern Greece where it gets quite damp in the winter but I haven't had the chance to test them on mud so far. They cope well with wet but not muddy terain. I'm going for a ride tomorow so I guess I'll do some more testing. Smile

Posted: Jun 28, 2012 at 16:15 Quote
Would you recommend another Continental Baron 2.3 Black Chili to match or another tyre either front or back, for all year all round use?

Which tyre is best to pair with Continental Baron 2.3 Black Chili?
Thanks!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012361
Mobile Version of Website