Megavalanche 2020

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
Megavalanche 2020
Posted: Jun 16, 2017 at 11:51 Quote
Yer surrey just isn't the same....Maybe a quick run to Cwncarn or Afan to get some steeps and rock/roots?....that's where I'm heading! I find what works there works in the alps.

Posted: Jun 16, 2017 at 12:24 Quote
Travel66 wrote:
Yer surrey just isn't the same....Maybe a quick run to Cwncarn or Afan to get some steeps and rock/roots?....that's where I'm heading! I find what works there works in the alps.
Unfortunately I'm under pressure to work virtually every day through June so I'm going nowhere.

O+
Posted: Jun 16, 2017 at 13:00 Quote
Travel66 wrote:
yeti-monster wrote:
Travel66 wrote:
Does anybody have any thoughts on Mega specific suspension set-up?

Keep it as normal?
Keep plush for the rocks and save getting fatigued quick?
Keep it stiff because there is lots of peddling?

Cheers

Cheers
Just so I can get some context....which shock are you running?
What did you do with your fork?...did you reduce the number of tokens?...are you using pikes?
I have some Vibrocore bars knocking around...might take them along in case.
I have found thicker but softer grips eradicates hand/arm pump. I use guides across all my bikes and have never had an issue unless they simply haven't been set up correctly and that goes for shimano as well.

I cant wait to have another go at Hellvelyn!
Fox 36 up front and pushed fox ctd on rear last year on 26er. Fox 36 and float x with evol removed this year on 650b.
I'm a big lad so very sensitive to poor brakes on long runs. I thought the modulation on the guides was amazing and the sealed bearing lever action top notch, but not a patch on ultimate force especially when things get heated. Gone for saints this time, but actually not quite as good as the zees, different master cylinder.
When it comes to brakes on Mega I started to fade as I came to forest section about 2/3 down. It's following others and having to drag brakes if you can't get past. Nothing you can do about it on steep single track.

Posted: Jun 16, 2017 at 23:56 Quote
Travel66 wrote:

For me the bridleway that goes from the top of Holmbury hill, next to Wet n Wild is steeper and rockier than anything Afan or Cwmcarn has to offer IMO. It always reminds me of a shorter version of some of the riding in the Alp d'Huez area.

Posted: Jun 17, 2017 at 6:52 Quote
Travel66 wrote:
konabigshed wrote:
yeti-monster wrote:

There are only a few isolated sections of rocks and most is equivalent to general downhill trail riding but still tires arms due to length. However after a few long runs I dialled all lsc and hsc off and ran with no spacers. Made a huge difference on the fatigue. Also ran high rise vibrocore bars, zee brakes and silicone grips. Didn't suffer with arm pump once and normally do on long dh runs like snowdon and helvellyn.
Interestingly got a new bike last September and went straight to helvellyn and had to stop half way to get arms back! Got rid of guide brakes, and went back to mega setup and all is well.

Cheers that's interesting, I've never used the tokens before as I figure I'm average weight so kit should work for me as it comes. Perhaps I'll just take them out.

just a thought...you might want to test new set-ups before using something a lot different to your norm.

Completely agree with this statement. If this is your first Mega I would get there, untuck your balls which WILL have shrivlled up inside you when you see the runs Wink , then progressively tweak your set-up if needed.

There are plenty of good riders and mechanics around that will be able to help tweak whilst you're there.

Big thing is not overthinking your set-up. Honestly!

Posted: Jun 17, 2017 at 12:34 Quote
Thinking about running a ghetto huck norris setup in my rear tyre. First time i'm trying it. Last time i didn't run tubeless and had slightly higher pressures than i normally run, but didn't puncture. Of course i was loosing grip now and again...
So hoping tubeless with lower pressures and a huck norris setup will help protect the tyres and rims.

Posted: Jun 17, 2017 at 14:20 Quote
Hey guys quick question regarding the medical certs. Raced before so should remember but am i right in saying if you have a full international UCI licence you dont need the medical cert?

Thanks

Scott

Posted: Jun 18, 2017 at 6:16 Quote
And does someone know if you are not a UCI licensed rider, if you DEFINITELY need a medical certificate? Heard that the medical certificat is no longer necessery because you can sign up for insurance at the mega... can someone confirm?

O+
Posted: Jun 18, 2017 at 9:03 Quote
Foxy87 wrote:
And does someone know if you are not a UCI licensed rider, if you DEFINITELY need a medical certificate? Heard that the medical certificat is no longer necessery because you can sign up for insurance at the mega... can someone confirm?
you absolutely fine with insurance only it states this when you sign up. I have had both and not got asked anyway. You will get number upon registration at the sports centre and your lift pass at the main lift.

Posted: Jun 18, 2017 at 11:18 Quote
Thanks, so I definitely DONT need a medical certificat AND i can sign up for insurance right there when I get my number, right?

Because I do have a regular health and accident insurance, this doesnt cover races though...

Posted: Jun 18, 2017 at 13:07 Quote
Well just checked the official Mega rules 2017 here:

http://www.ucc-sportevent.com/wp-content/uploads/RULES-UK-MEGAVALANCHE-ALPE-2017.pdf

Page 3, point 2.2 states, that non licensed riders need a medical clearance...

So it looks like a medical certificate is mandatory nontheless...

Posted: Jun 18, 2017 at 13:40 Quote
If you buy their Multi Sports Assurance cover then you don't need a medical certificate. I've done that the last 2 years with no problems

O+
Posted: Jun 18, 2017 at 15:08 Quote
kes2903 wrote:
If you buy their Multi Sports Assurance cover then you don't need a medical certificate. I've done that the last 2 years with no problems
Kes is right I should have made it clearer....it's their multisport insurance you need when you signed up. You might be able to add it now? Probably can't buy it when you turn up to register at the event.

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 5:00 Quote
I paid for the insurance on registration but also had a quick medical, only cost £20.

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 8:50 Quote
As far as I know I bought every insurance I can when I signed up. None of them were expensive... but how can I check now to be shure?... it doesnt say anything on the confirmation mail (recept)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012471
Mobile Version of Website