All Mountain Build

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 28, 2012 at 19:55 Quote
Looking to start an all mountain build from the frame up. I don't have much experience doing builds only light repairs, how much time/effort am i looking at? How difficult will it be to make and tune a bike from scratch?

Posted: Jan 28, 2012 at 20:50 Quote
Depends on your wallet.

Honestly.

Posted: Feb 3, 2012 at 7:37 Quote
Unless you have a huge budget and very fancy tastes, it's usually much cheaper to buy a complete bike and swap some parts. You also save yourself the hassle of building it.

When I wanted to build my am bike I did the calculations and well sometimes just the frame+fork is nearly the price of a full bike. Some bike shops might even credit you the parts you dont want if you buy the new parts there which makes it even more affordable to build your dream bike.

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2012 at 20:48 Quote
I'm a hack hobby mechanic working in a poorly lit garage. I just finished building a size large Heckler from a complete size medium I had been riding. I changed the fork to a different one while I was at it. It took three hours. I've built a few bikes from scratch so I'm not a complete rookie and I've accumulated the tools I need over a few years.

Don't forget about the tools. You want to be prepared to press or drive in a new headset. Installing your bottom bracket will take a special socket depending on your brand of choice. Are you bleeding your brakes? Are you equipped to re-cable your bike? None of this is insurmountable but budget for the essential tools you will need.

Last weekend I priced for a friend building an all-mountain spec Heckler from used parts on pinkbike. $1350 and I tend to go cheap on some not very bling components (cheap hubs and rims/FSA Pig headset/bargain bucket cranks). At that time there were two complete bikes for sale used but in obviously very good condition and using higher quality components both for $1200. 2 cents

Posted: Feb 13, 2012 at 15:12 Quote
Out of winter bordum and just wanting to learn how to do it all myself, I torn down my bike all the way last year and rebuilt it. There are a ton of videos and web sites out there that can help you through the more difficult stuff. For the most part everything was pretty easy. The only thing that kicked my ass was rebuilding the hubs, get them too tight and your wheel will bind up, too loose and everything wears out fast. My front wheel ended up locking up on me about a month after the build. I decided to just leave the hub work up to the shop after that. Just take your time, use the right tools and have a clean work space. I acutally enjoy tearing my bikes down now, especially the shock and forks. Plus the experience will save you a lot of time and money as opposed to turning into the shop for every little problem. Also helps a ton when stuff goes wrong on the trail and you have some idea on how to do a field repair.

Posted: Feb 16, 2012 at 18:08 Quote
building your bike is easy if you have the tools and know how. im still in a build of my heckler. but i work at a bike shop so i dont have to buy tools. and the hard part of building is lacing the wheels. i had my boss show me 3 times. exspect to take them apart. and redo it. when putting in a bb exspect to check the chain line and ad the spacers to the bb. for a fork and head set you need them to press the crown race in and head set in. then have them cut the fork. you need alot of tool. you can get the parts and have a shop build the bike. they would just charge by the hour and it really take them an hour to build. but it takes a steep wallet. and research

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006160
Mobile Version of Website