New enduro bike - lapierre spicy 516 2012 vs specialized enduro 2012 vs transition covert 2012

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
New enduro bike - lapierre spicy 516 2012 vs specialized enduro 2012 vs transition covert 2012
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 29, 2012 at 9:32 Quote
Hi,

I'm going to buy an enduro bike and I'm thinking about lapierre spicy 516, specialized enduro, transition covert and (all 2012 model).

Please let me know what you think about these bikes and which one could be better for going also downhills (and also the right size for me - I'm 6.1 tall for 180lb).

thanks a lot

Enrico

O+
Posted: Jan 29, 2012 at 13:04 Quote
I personally have not ridden the spicy or covert. However, I've ridden and test ridden many different bikes in that category and I would recommend the Enduro. I ride a stumpjumper EVO, but rode the enduro quite a bit and abolutely LOVED it. It is by far my favorite decender in that category and pedals really well. At 6'-1", I would probably get a large.

Posted: Feb 1, 2012 at 10:57 Quote
Thank you very much ggillings

I'm going to test a specialized enduro and a lapierre next weekend and so I'll decide what to do

regards

Enrico

Posted: Feb 14, 2012 at 13:18 Quote
I'm trying to make the same decision (Covert or spicy) can you let me know how you found the spicy, sizing etc. Cheers.

Posted: Feb 15, 2012 at 16:35 Quote
im quietly confident you`ll be treating yourself to the spicy mate. ive got the 316 2009 mod. but i`ll be purchasing the new 516 nxt month. add abit more spice to your life dude. you wont regret it Big Grin

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 at 17:23 Quote
spicy316 wrote:
im quietly confident you`ll be treating yourself to the spicy mate. ive got the 316 2009 mod. but i`ll be purchasing the new 516 nxt month. add abit more spice to your life dude. you wont regret it Big Grin

Psh, a bias opinion

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 at 13:44 Quote
well im pleased to say that after a couple of months on the new beast im absolutely buzzin! the tweaks that ave been made from previous spicy`s really shows in performance. hard 2 pin point exactly what it is, it just feels better which in turn gives u so much more confidence. im the same height as u n went 4 the large size. spot on 4 me. check out my pics of it. my only gripe about it is the own branded seatpost. its dogsh#t!!!! got back intouch with them and theyve replaced it with a ks seatpost which i sold n put towards a reverb. by far the best out there.

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 at 13:45 Quote
Angryham wrote:
spicy316 wrote:

Psh, a bias opinion
guilty! Fab

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 at 14:27 Quote
i work in a bikeshop thats sells both lapierre and transition. cant speak for the spesh but i have a mate that has one and loves it to bits. the spicy is a 4-bar linkage like spesh, and pedals really well for a 160mm bike, solid spec (except for the rear hub, ball bearings=shit) bolt through rear keeps it stiff, took it off some doubles about 15ft and didnt phase it. the tranny is a link driven single pivot, doesnt pedal as well as the spicy and slightly less standover clearance than the spicy but still a rad bike. this year you can get the tranny as a bolt through rear too, but still has a stiff rear end without, again a bike you can hammer.
as for size im the same height as you can ride both a medium and large, comes down to preference at the end of the day. if i were to pick one id go spicy with a couple of mods. best thing to do is try them, theyre all pretty different!

Posted: Jun 9, 2012 at 3:36 Quote
thank you guys

in the last weeks I've tested covert and spicy and I think that 2012 spicy is really better than last year model and also is easier to manage than the covert but probably the covert seam to be stronger....

this wend I'll test an enduro so I'll decide what to do

henry

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 at 2:26 Quote
Hey guys,
Sorry for bringing up this topic, but it's better than open a new one.

So I'm in a hard position to chosse a AM bike where I can pedal long distances (100 km) and do mtb trails, as DH and FR.

I'm in doubt to choose these two bikes:
An used Specialized Enduro Expert Carbon 2012 (bought in May 2012) or a Lapierre Spicy 516 2012 (but new). Which one I get, considering they have almost the same price?

There are theses 3 things I'm worried about:

- Suspension system:
SPZ Enduro Expert Carbon: Fox RP23 Boost Vale shock (FSR System) and FOX 36 Talas R 160/120mm fork.
Lapierre Spicy 516: Fox Float RP2 shock (OST+ System) and Fox 36 RLC 160mm fork.

I'm not worried with Fox, because they are good, but about the system of each frame and I unfortunatelly cannot test the bikes.

- Weight:
Specialized is a Carbon frame, which weights about 12,9 kg (28,4 lbs). While Spicy 516 has 14,4 kg (31,7 lbs) and is an aluminium frame.

- Kit:
Specialized comes with Avid X0 World Cup brakes and SRAM derrailleur, which I personnaly prefer than Shimano.
Lapierre comes with Formula RX brakes and SHIMANO XT, which I don't like that much and I don't have much knowledge about it.

So considering I cannot try both bikes, which one should I get? I'm really undecided!

Thank you all!

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 at 2:52 Quote
Spicy. Mostly for the fact that you'll have a warrenty with it as youre buying it new.
Also, it has a fork that you can fully service yourself unlike a talas where you need proprietary tools. also its an R fork vs RLC...one has rebound the other has rebound and compression so you have more adjustment.
Avid brakes....the most unreliable brake ever made, thats from experience working in a bike shop they are so problematic its not even worth considering unless you sell them staight away. Formula are reliable and nice brakes.
Shimano vs sram, in my experience shimano gives a slicker nicer shift and sram seems a little tacky in comparison but personal preference.
as for suspension design, theyre both similar as theyre 4-bar. the spicy has a strut that alters the leverage ratio from previous models so it ramps up a bit more.
what you get with a lapierre is none of this proprietary spesh parts only nonsense on a specialized that makes getting hold of spares a pain sometimes.
so unless you cant tell...get a spicy

edulk wrote:
Hey guys,
Sorry for bringing up this topic, but it's better than open a new one.

So I'm in a hard position to chosse a AM bike where I can pedal long distances (100 km) and do mtb trails, as DH and FR.

I'm in doubt to choose these two bikes:
An used Specialized Enduro Expert Carbon 2012 (bought in May 2012) or a Lapierre Spicy 516 2012 (but new). Which one I get, considering they have almost the same price?

There are theses 3 things I'm worried about:

- Suspension system:
SPZ Enduro Expert Carbon: Fox RP23 Boost Vale shock (FSR System) and FOX 36 Talas R 160/120mm fork.
Lapierre Spicy 516: Fox Float RP2 shock (OST+ System) and Fox 36 RLC 160mm fork.

I'm not worried with Fox, because they are good, but about the system of each frame and I unfortunatelly cannot test the bikes.

- Weight:
Specialized is a Carbon frame, which weights about 12,9 kg (28,4 lbs). While Spicy 516 has 14,4 kg (31,7 lbs) and is an aluminium frame.

- Kit:
Specialized comes with Avid X0 World Cup brakes and SRAM derrailleur, which I personnaly prefer than Shimano.
Lapierre comes with Formula RX brakes and SHIMANO XT, which I don't like that much and I don't have much knowledge about it.

So considering I cannot try both bikes, which one should I get? I'm really undecided!

Thank you all!

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 at 12:28 Quote
Thank you very much for your answer dude!

So I decided to forget the Specialized, but I just found a new offer today.
A Mondraker Dune RR 2012, it's used but less than a year.

Would you think the Zero Suspesions System of Mondraker is better than the OST + System of Spicy 516?
I'm afraid with maintanance of Mondraker, because of the complicated frame and geometry, even if the warranty is lifetime...

By the way, in All Mountain bikes, is there a shock position where it works better for climbing and descend? (vertical, inclined horizontally...)

Thank you!

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 at 12:44 Quote
The bottom line is that I'm looking for a good bike to go UPHILL... the downhill is not a problem, because I can use my body performance to correct the obstacles... but to go up, it's harder if you don't have a good bike.

So which bike I can take with a 160mm rear travel that I won't be disappointed.

Thank you

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 at 13:37 Quote
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-lapierre-spicy-316-11-41142
edulk wrote:
The bottom line is that I'm looking for a good bike to go UPHILL... the downhill is not a problem, because I can use my body performance to correct the obstacles... but to go up, it's harder if you don't have a good bike.

So which bike I can take with a 160mm rear travel that I won't be disappointed.

Thank you

the lapierre spicy 316 OR 516

5 stars! that's why i bought the 316 haha

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-lapierre-spicy-316-11-41142

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.045235
Mobile Version of Website