deemax's out of fashion?

PB Forum :: Downhill
deemax's out of fashion?
O+
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 at 13:00 Quote
I don't know, and this is just my opinion, but if you consider all factors (strength, weight, price, style, performance, durability etc.) you can't do much better than Deemax. Some people have had trouble with the hubs, but you should adjust and maintain your hubs regularily anyway. Yeah, CK's, I9's and Spinergy's are hella nice and are very high end, but talk about price! You can buy full bikes, that go just as fast without I9's, for the same price if not less. Someone said something about how the yellow colour made Deemax what it is, and if you painted it black no one would care about them anymore. True, the yellow colour is a well known trademark of Deemax, but consider CK and I9's. What if they were only offered in flat black, or didn't make any hub noise? I'd bet good money you would loose lots of customers just over that. The truth is, in this day in age, colour and design is a major buying factor for most people, save for sponsored riders. It's no secret. So Deemax's going out of fashion? No. They are no longer the most expensive or 'ritzy' wheels out there, which makes them less popular and less desireable today. My 2 cents

Posted: Jul 2, 2009 at 14:45 Quote
mackdaddy55 wrote:
I don't know, and this is just my opinion, but if you consider all factors (strength, weight, price, style, performance, durability etc.) you can't do much better than Deemax. Some people have had trouble with the hubs, but you should adjust and maintain your hubs regularily anyway. Yeah, CK's, I9's and Spinergy's are hella nice and are very high end, but talk about price! You can buy full bikes, that go just as fast without I9's, for the same price if not less. Someone said something about how the yellow colour made Deemax what it is, and if you painted it black no one would care about them anymore. True, the yellow colour is a well known trademark of Deemax, but consider CK and I9's. What if they were only offered in flat black, or didn't make any hub noise? I'd bet good money you would loose lots of customers just over that. The truth is, in this day in age, colour and design is a major buying factor for most people, save for sponsored riders. It's no secret. So Deemax's going out of fashion? No. They are no longer the most expensive or 'ritzy' wheels out there, which makes them less popular and less desireable today. My 2 cents

Except, now they are Silver !

I think a lot of the hub problems were with the 135mm rears, they are a 2 pawl design and completely different to the 150mm hubs. The 150mm hubs are 4 pawl and a completely different construction ( and we are talking pre '09 here ). Spokes popping out is another problem apparently too, keeping the spokes correctly tensioned seems to resolve this issue.

The '09 sets have addressed a lot of this but they are silver and IMO have lost their identity as a result. You only have to watch some FR/ DH WC footage and the Yellow says "DeeMax" straight away.

Out of fashion - NEVER !!!

O+
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 at 16:52 Quote
photo

Think again! Mick Hannah, rockin' the Max's.

slowmtb wrote:
mackdaddy55 wrote:

Except, now they are Silver !

I think a lot of the hub problems were with the 135mm rears, they are a 2 pawl design and completely different to the 150mm hubs. The 150mm hubs are 4 pawl and a completely different construction ( and we are talking pre '09 here ). Spokes popping out is another problem apparently too, keeping the spokes correctly tensioned seems to resolve this issue.

The '09 sets have addressed a lot of this but they are silver and IMO have lost their identity as a result. You only have to watch some FR/ DH WC footage and the Yellow says "DeeMax" straight away.

Out of fashion - NEVER !!!

Posted: Jul 3, 2009 at 3:07 Quote
Niiiice, did they bring back the Yella ?

Just checked the Mavic web site, only silver listed. Must be a factory rider thing.

Posted: Nov 10, 2009 at 23:37 Quote
slowmtb wrote:

Just checked the Mavic web site, only silver listed. Must be a factory rider thing.

yeah they brought back yellow for 2010

Posted: Nov 12, 2009 at 9:09 Quote
Stinkyboy09 wrote:
slowmtb wrote:

yeah they brought back yellow for 2010

well your right and wrong, yes yellow is brought back in 2010 however it isn´t the standard deemax as the standard deemax is kept silver. The yellow deemax is a special one as it is made to cut off some weight from the standard deemax (and a good excuse to bring back the yellow color xD).

standard deemax - weight: 2160 grams per pair

http://www.mavic.com/mtb/products/deemax.996194.1.aspx

special deemax which are called the deemax ultimate - weight: 1975 grams per pair

http://www.mavic.com/mtb/products/deemax-ultimate.106575.1.aspx

Posted: Nov 12, 2009 at 9:23 Quote
The Mavic Deemax Ultimate is simply a Mavic Crossmax SX with steel spokes and yellow. But I'm sure the kiddies will still go for the Deemax Ultimate instead as it's yellow and sports the Deemax name..

Posted: Nov 12, 2009 at 14:44 Quote
im gona be running 2010 yellow deemaxs this spring . deemax's will never go out of style

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.026716
Mobile Version of Website