Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Mar 29, 2016 at 2:12 Quote
Hope carbon frame

Hope carbon enduro frame?

Posted: Mar 29, 2016 at 3:28 Quote
waldo1 wrote:
Hope carbon frame

Hope carbon enduro frame?

They've been testing a few and I'm 90% sure the design is based very loosely on an SB6, seems that's what all the team riders have been riding and now a few are up for sale....

Posted: Mar 29, 2016 at 6:02 Quote
pics or it didn't happen

Posted: Mar 29, 2016 at 8:54 Quote
dingus wrote:
So pretty much a 9.8?

Except without an air chamber. I guarantee that's what is causing problems in the RF/Easton posts, the quality of the seals and bushings used in the air chamber.

Part of what makes the Gravity Dropper so reliable is that it doesn't really have much for seals because of the spring. It has bushings, but it takes years for those to wear out.

Posted: Mar 29, 2016 at 9:28 Quote
Just checked the one I am going to warranty and it had 0 air pressure. Not sure if its the problem or not. But sending it in anyways as there is a reason there is no air in there and there was when it was new 3 rides ago.

Posted: Mar 29, 2016 at 9:36 Quote
PHeller wrote:
dingus wrote:
So pretty much a 9.8?

Except without an air chamber. I guarantee that's what is causing problems in the RF/Easton posts, the quality of the seals and bushings used in the air chamber.

Part of what makes the Gravity Dropper so reliable is that it doesn't really have much for seals because of the spring. It has bushings, but it takes years for those to wear out.
seeing as the raceface and Easton posts have issues with slipping, it has nothing to do with the air system. Do you even know how a 9point8 post works?

If I had to make a guess, it would be fox trying to save money by running the bore tolerances loose on the part be brake engages against.

Posted: Mar 29, 2016 at 9:39 Quote
The issue with mine was not the air pressure. I double and triple checked my pressure before sending it back, same issue regardless of 15-30psi. I tend to agree that it’s an issue with the air chamber. It would make a hissing sound when compressed, which it didn’t do when new, and the replacement doesn’t do either.

Posted: Mar 29, 2016 at 10:24 Quote
Nobble wrote:
seeing as the raceface and Easton posts have issues with slipping, it has nothing to do with the air system. Do you even know how a 9point8 post works?

If I had to make a guess, it would be fox trying to save money by running the bore tolerances loose on the part be brake engages against.

I know how they work, but it sounds like there are a variety of problems.

I'm just kinda miffed on why the major manufacturers are so stuck on overly complicated air/hydraulic springs in dropper posts, when a normal metal spring is so much simpler. Just because it has a metal spring doesn't mean it has to return quickly, nor does it need to be limited to only certain points of engagement.

Posted: Mar 29, 2016 at 10:30 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Nobble wrote:

I know how they work, but it sounds like there are a variety of problems.

I'm just kinda miffed on why the major manufacturers are so stuck on overly complicated air/hydraulic springs in dropper posts, when a normal metal spring is so much simpler. Just because it has a metal spring doesn't mean it has to return quickly, nor does it need to be limited to only certain points of engagement.
sure, but there are other constraints in using a helical compression spring such as free length, stroke, diameter, weight, and fatigue. Coil springs can only be compressed so far before they are damaged. To increase that length you can increase the wrap count, but that also adds weight and lowers the stiffness. To save weight you can reduce wrap count and increase diameter, but you have seatpost diameter constraints.

TLDR: totally not worth the engineering for a product that would perform worse.

Posted: Mar 29, 2016 at 10:45 Quote
Because ya know, Gravity Droppers have so many issues with spring longevity. They even offer a 130mm drop.

Posted: Mar 29, 2016 at 12:28 Quote
I really think the way to go would be with a shaped stanchion (think lefty) with a dual sprag clutch locking system, Install a gas strut to bring things back up and Viola a post that wont suck...

Posted: Mar 29, 2016 at 14:20 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Because ya know, Gravity Droppers have so many issues with spring longevity. They even offer a 130mm drop.

GD and DOSS, 99.32% reliable, everything else is still a bit of crap shoot at the moment

Posted: Mar 29, 2016 at 14:33 Quote
I've seen a failed DOSS...

Posted: Mar 29, 2016 at 14:35 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Really? What was the deal with that? That's the first I've heard of a failed DOSS

Posted: Mar 29, 2016 at 14:41 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:

fair comment, edited my post Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.032227
Mobile Version of Website