Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Sep 29, 2017 at 17:29 Quote
Pivot uses dw link not vpp... and vpp is better than pretty much everything you listed. You start drinking early on a Friday or what?

Posted: Sep 29, 2017 at 17:30 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Pivot uses dw link not vpp... and vpp is better than pretty much everything you listed. You start drinking early on a Friday or what?

edit; fixed. Meant to say "DW is like VPP"

Great pedaling
Average kickback
Bad braking
shit LR/force curve

Is what the graphs indicate.

Posted: Sep 29, 2017 at 17:42 Quote
theminsta wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

edit; fixed. Meant to say "DW is like VPP"

Great pedaling
Average kickback
Bad braking
shit LR/force curve

Is what the graphs indicate.
BBLB is on that VPP koolaid.

Posted: Sep 29, 2017 at 17:54 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Thanks dudes.

Currently have access to Santa Cruz, Transition, Kona, Scott, Marin, and Pivot. Short list thus far is; Heihei, Smuggler, Hightower, or Tallboi. Want something I can really play with, and think those four are pretty much there, even if I do wish the CS lengths on them was a bit shorter.

Any recommendations?
Tallboy all day. Buy it with the s kit and plus wheels and get a set of bling 29r wheels.

That and classon/ calon are rad dudes and riding their platform is cool

Posted: Sep 29, 2017 at 19:51 Quote
Call me crazy, but I like riding a bike before I make my buying decisions. You can get a good approximation for how a bike rides by looking at the numbers, but that’s no substitute for riding it.

The other intangible, which has been touched upon, is customer service, ease of service, and reliability. I know a brand like Santa Cruz or Transition has my back. They’ve both bailed me out over the years. Yeti and Specialized? They’ve both tried to charge me for known product issues.

Speaking of known issues, are Yeti’s still cracking?

Posted: Sep 29, 2017 at 20:32 Quote
no mention of Giant meastro?

Posted: Sep 29, 2017 at 20:39 Quote
Devinci Marshall with 29 wheels

scotteh wrote:
sherbet wrote:
Thanks dudes.

Currently have access to Santa Cruz, Transition, Kona, Scott, Marin, and Pivot. Short list thus far is; Heihei, Smuggler, Hightower, or Tallboi. Want something I can really play with, and think those four are pretty much there, even if I do wish the CS lengths on them was a bit shorter.

Any recommendations?

Smuggler would be my pick from that list - tons of great reviews and I like the durability/simplicity of the frame (alu, threaded bb, etc.).

Are you planning to go for "modern" geo? You're 6'2"ish if I remember correctly, but I feel like I saw you riding a medium Process or something? I'm a really big fan of the longer reach, but only if paired with a reasonably steep seat angle to keep the effective top tube size in check. That's what turned me off the SC bikes, they are long in reach and short in seattube (I could easily ride an XL), but the effective SA is like 73 degrees. That would mean a uncomfortably stretched out seated pedaling position.

Point is, you won't need to make that consideration if you're riding a shorter frame - SA won't matter nearly as much.

Posted: Sep 29, 2017 at 20:42 Quote
i took a shot in the dark on my evil wreckoning and I could't be happier.

Posted: Sep 29, 2017 at 22:06 Quote
Circe wrote:
Call me crazy, but I like riding a bike before I make my buying decisions. You can get a good approximation for how a bike rides by looking at the numbers, but that’s no substitute for riding it.

The other intangible, which has been touched upon, is customer service, ease of service, and reliability. I know a brand like Santa Cruz or Transition has my back. They’ve both bailed me out over the years. Yeti and Specialized? They’ve both tried to charge me for known product issues.

That is crazy. Must be the time of the month when people use common sense..

I completely agree with riding it/after sale service/support/front triangle bottle space, etc.. I just wanted to throw the objective/graph-based remarks in as they are rarely talked about in proper (frankly not much) detail.

Also, you won't see me talking about frames from Spesh/Trek too often because it's just too expensive.

I haven't heard of anymore cracking but my preprod front triangle has a crack in the BB area. Looking to getting it checked out this winter sometime

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2017 at 22:08 Quote
Circe wrote:

Yes.. I cracked another the other day.. My DJ is the only one still surviving..

And Special-ed had also gone above and beyond for us for customers before... Like guy brought in a 20 year old base level hardtail that frame cracked... They offered him a comparable complete bike or half off any other new bike..... He bought a carbon Stumpy.. That was pretty legit. We also have a good relationship with them and our rep.

Posted: Sep 29, 2017 at 22:10 Quote
RollinFoSho wrote:
no mention of Giant meastro?

Acceptable pedaling/braking/LR/force curve
Lowish kickback

Well-riding/balanced bike but nothing special.

Posted: Sep 29, 2017 at 22:41 Quote
After looking at the charts and graphs and component list I am rarely surprised nowadays about how something fits and rides.
What’s hard to predict are new tires.

Posted: Sep 29, 2017 at 23:48 Quote
Circe wrote:

Santa Cruz have the sickest warranty. They just sent me a whole new pivot kit just yesterday after I emailed just asking for a new pivot bolt and a upper link bearing, all from a distro in Denmark (now living in Sweden) that had nothing to do with the original purchase in Melbourne. Above and beyond CS.

Posted: Sep 30, 2017 at 0:50 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Thanks dudes.

Any recommendations?

Marin wolf ridge 2018?

Posted: Sep 30, 2017 at 6:42 Quote
Axxe wrote:
After looking at the charts and graphs and component list I am rarely surprised nowadays about how something fits and rides.
What’s hard to predict are new tires.

I wish every company would include kinematic graphs whenever they release a new frame.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.037226
Mobile Version of Website