Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 15:11 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
2018 Broduro 29er elite..

2018 Enduro Elite 29

It's good... Spent the weekend in Oregon and Got 70+ miles of trails, 10k of climbing and some time on some jumps.

Jumps well, corners well, climbs well for what it is, descends like a monster.. I am on a XL and loaded down with tools, tube, pump, and sandwich in the swat box and 2.6 tires, it was 33lbs..

New 4 piston brakes code brakes are good.

My only things I am going to change are carbon 35mm bar and then look at swapping out the Ohlins for a Pike. I have played with the Ohlins and I can't get it to where I love it.. I know it rewards more aggressive riding style, which I generally don't have issue with.

It's not bad.. But just doesn't feel any more sorted than my Pikes have been when things get aggressive and it's definitely less supple when you are chilling out descending or climbing.. I may play with it some more, but I forsee me going back to a Pike.

Is that a chainring for ants?

Where in Oregon were ya? Such solid riding down that way!

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 15:51 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

2018 Enduro Elite 29

It's good... Spent the weekend in Oregon and Got 70+ miles of trails, 10k of climbing and some time on some jumps.

Jumps well, corners well, climbs well for what it is, descends like a monster.. I am on a XL and loaded down with tools, tube, pump, and sandwich in the swat box and 2.6 tires, it was 33lbs..

My only things I am going to change are carbon 35mm bar and then look at swapping out the Ohlins for a Pike. I have played with the Ohlins and I can't get it to where I love it.. I know it rewards more aggressive riding style, which I generally don't have issue with.

It's not bad.. But just doesn't feel any more sorted than my Pikes have been when things get aggressive and it's definitely less supple when you are chilling out descending or climbing.. I may play with it some more, but I forsee me going back to a Pike.

Is that a chainring for ants?

Where in Oregon were ya? Such solid riding down that way!

Hey yo! I am washed up and havnt ridden in a minute, I need stock chainring.. Also this bike is so damn big that it makes the 29er wheels look "normal" and makes the chainring look small.

I rode Syncline, Blackrock and then Oakridge.. So many goods. Considering relocating somewhere that way for the Mrs work.

Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 16:02 Quote
We thought of moving to Ashland or Bend. Still have to visit the latter in person, but we've heard it's awesome.

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 16:07 Quote
swan3609 wrote:

2018 Enduro Elite 29

You must like fork maintenance..... I get 5 rides out my pike and it needs lowers serviced. Also needs air seals twice a year. When it works it's great, but go past 5 rides and it is a pos.

Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 16:11 Quote
seraph wrote:
We thought of moving to Ashland or Bend. Still have to visit the latter in person, but we've heard it's awesome.

Bend is a nice area. MIL lives there and we thought about a few spaces in south central OR to move to as well.

They even have after-school riding programs to take kids into the woods!

Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 16:17 Quote
Bend is great for a central location to trails. The riding here is meh.. 3 hours any direction and there is so much to ride it makes up for it. We ride Oakridge a ton. Next time your around you should drive over Patterson Mountain and ride the Brice Creek area. Crawfish and Adams trails.

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 16:24 Quote
I'll be honest, after how much I heard about Bend, I was a little underwhelmed with the riding there (and Oregon in general). It's great if you just want blue flow trails, but there wasn't much that blew wind up my skirt. This should be taken with a grain of salt as I was just using Trailforks and didn't have much insider info. Although I talked to Hood River Bikes and did a shuttle with them up Post Canyon (again, meh). Great people at that shop though and Hood River is an awesome, awesome town. Mckenzie River Trail was pretty cool too, it's not often you get to ride through old growth forests and past waterfalls and spring fed pools.

Swanduro, what are your thoughts on the E29 as an only bike? Is it playful enough to be fun on mellower trails, or does it just smash everything in its path? I hate how much I'm liking the 2018 Specialized stuff, it looks awesome. They sorted a lot of my complaints with my 2015 E27.5 (downtube cable routing, stupid 142+ rear spacing, PFBB). Still have the dumb proprietary shock mount though I think. Have they sorted out the rear shock tune? I remember with my E27.5, I had the CC DBAirCS stuffed full of volume spacers, HSC and LSC cranked all the way up, and it still bottomed non-stop if I ran the recommend 30% sag. Only when I got to about 15-20% sag did it stop bottoming like crazy. This happened with a DB Inline and DB Air, so not just a defective shock.

Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 16:29 Quote
We would need to move to a town that was large enough that there would be a decent collection of bike shops for me to work in. In all honesty the quality of the riding is an afterthought. But also I take into consideration that the riding around where I live currently is awful, so almost anything else would be an improvement.

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 16:56 Quote
scotteh wrote:
I'll be honest, after how much I heard about Bend, I was a little underwhelmed with the riding there (and Oregon in general). It's great if you just want blue flow trails, but there wasn't much that blew wind up my skirt. This should be taken with a grain of salt as I was just using Trailforks and didn't have much insider info. Although I talked to Hood River Bikes and did a shuttle with them up Post Canyon (again, meh). Great people at that shop though and Hood River is an awesome, awesome town. Mckenzie River Trail was pretty cool too, it's not often you get to ride through old growth forests and past waterfalls and spring fed pools.

Swanduro, what are your thoughts on the E29 as an only bike? Is it playful enough to be fun on mellower trails, or does it just smash everything in its path? I hate how much I'm liking the 2018 Specialized stuff, it looks awesome. They sorted a lot of my complaints with my 2015 E27.5 (downtube cable routing, stupid 142+ rear spacing, PFBB). Still have the dumb proprietary shock mount though I think. Have they sorted out the rear shock tune? I remember with my E27.5, I had the CC DBAirCS stuffed full of volume spacers, HSC and LSC cranked all the way up, and it still bottomed non-stop if I ran the recommend 30% sag. Only when I got to about 15-20% sag did it stop bottoming like crazy. This happened with a DB Inline and DB Air, so not just a defective shock.

Bend is neat, but I'd agree the trails I rode were just kinda ok, lacked technical features that demanded a enduro bike... Definitely a 120-140mm trail bike or even aggressive Hardtail territory

Hood river has some other goods that I like, little moab on syncline is one of my all time favorite quick pit stop rips.

Oakridge has some legit technical goods that I was stoked on. Definitely want to go explore the goods there more.

And this new Enduro is a monster... No way around that. I am regularly matching or beating times on dh trails that I set with DH bikes...... So mild trails end up getting ridden that much faster, or you start doing manuals and seeing how far you can huck to flat off everything...

Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 20:36 Quote
d-man wrote:
You must like fork maintenance..... I get 5 rides out my pike and it needs lowers serviced. Also needs air seals twice a year. When it works it's great, but go past 5 rides and it is a pos.

I ride almost everyday and my fork hasn't been touched since June and it's cherry. Maybe you got a dud, bud.

Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 21:01 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
How old is it??

SRAM's warranty is two years...

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 21:08 Quote
iggzdaloc wrote:
d-man wrote:

I ride almost everyday and my fork hasn't been touched since June and it's cherry. Maybe you got a dud, bud.

Yep this.. My Pikes and lyrik have been flogged in the past and been awesome..

Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 21:10 Quote
But you two are hacks so....

I am kidding!!! Sheesh!

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 22:24 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
But you two are hacks so....

I am kidding!!! Sheesh!

I know iggz can do a wheelie and I know I can too. I will out drink you while doing a wheelie on my tandem.. So suck it!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.039364
Mobile Version of Website