Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 20:15 Quote
sosburn wrote:
theminsta wrote:
I love clean air and water as well, but there is a far better way to regulate. It just happens that anything government related grows like cancer and is too easily subject to the whims/emotions of hippies that don't know any better. I would much rather let the free markets decide the framework.

Axxe wrote:

The one I ride the most, ~28 pound titanium 29r hardtail. Heavy fork. Wanted 35mm stanchions. Will check exact weight today.

That's heavy. You should be ashamed. Ti hardtail should weigh ~25 pounds

Ti hardtail should weigh sub 20 lbs, with rider fully spandex clad and unresponsive when you say hello

Yuri Hauswald's titanium singlespeed Marin rigid hardtail was 19 lbs. Thing was a rocket ship. Roughly 21 lbs when he put a Float on it.

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 7:26 Quote
Standard Fox 34 Float stanchion thickness: ~1.6mm
EBike Fox 34 Float stanchion GIRTH: 2.9mm

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 7:29 Quote
Is that really it? Damn that's thin as f*ck

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 7:40 Quote
Holy hell. Why is the 34 so skinny?

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 7:49 Quote
bikeis4life wrote:

Because it doesn't need to be any thicker.

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 7:55 Quote
Charge262 wrote:
bikeis4life wrote:

Because it doesn't need to be any thicker.

Right? No one said anything about it being thin until they knew the thickness

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 7:55 Quote
The 36 is also roughly 1.6mm. No idea on the 40, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's also 1.6mm

Anyone have the numbers for the Lyrik and Pike stanchion wall thicknesses?

I'm lowering the 34 Float Ebike fork down to 90mm and putting it on my dirt jumper Joker it's gonna be [lit]

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 7:56 Quote
sosburn wrote:
theminsta wrote:
I love clean air and water as well, but there is a far better way to regulate. It just happens that anything government related grows like cancer and is too easily subject to the whims/emotions of hippies that don't know any better. I would much rather let the free markets decide the framework.

Axxe wrote:

The one I ride the most, ~28 pound titanium 29r hardtail. Heavy fork. Wanted 35mm stanchions. Will check exact weight today.

Ti hardtail should weigh sub 20 lbs, with rider fully spandex clad and unresponsive when you say hello

I have had one that was under 19lb. Sid fork, 1.9” semislicks with home brew tubeless, XTR 1x9, Juicy Ulimates: worst brakes known to man, Ashima cheese grater rotors, American classic with Stan’s race rims, masterpiece post, tiny flat Easton bars with syntace stem, eggbeaters (I know) etc. etc.
It was amuzing but it quickly gained normal tires. Then wheels went on wife’s bike, as she weights under its limit. Then I made it into my “road” bike after getting Formula brakes with hope rotors, functional pedals, wider bars and comfy saddle.

This one is 29r with 1950g trace roughcut hlr 34mm xfusion fork, 65deg front end on much heavier frame, 2.4” tires, Xt/xtr with Gorbaruk 11-50, and I am not worried it will break over small pebbles. I use it for long rides.

.. tried taking real weight but can’t find scales. Garage is a mess, middle of bathroom remodel project going on.

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 9:09 Quote
Axxe wrote:
sosburn wrote:
theminsta wrote:

I have had one that was under 19lb. Sid fork, 1.9” semislicks with home brew tubeless, XTR 1x9, Juicy Ulimates: worst brakes known to man, Ashima cheese grater rotors, American classic with Stan’s race rims, masterpiece post, tiny flat Easton bars with syntace stem, eggbeaters (I know) etc. etc.
It was amuzing but it quickly gained normal tires. Then wheels went on wife’s bike, as she weights under its limit. Then I made it into my “road” bike after getting Formula brakes with hope rotors, functional pedals, wider bars and comfy saddle.

This one is 29r with 1950g trace roughcut hlr 34mm xfusion fork, 65deg front end on much heavier frame, 2.4” tires, Xt/xtr with Gorbaruk 11-50, and I am not worried it will break over small pebbles. I use it for long rides.

.. tried taking real weight but can’t find scales. Garage is a mess, middle of bathroom remodel project going on.

Not possible since Magura brakes exist.

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 11:30 Quote
seraph wrote:
Axxe wrote:
sosburn wrote:

Yep.. Went to bleed a set of Maguras yesterday and did a proper bleed and they felt worse.. Finally got them feeling slightly better, then sold the customer some XTs and he has been stoked.

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 11:51 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
seraph wrote:
Axxe wrote:

Yep.. Went to bleed a set of Maguras yesterday and did a proper bleed and they felt worse.. Finally got them feeling slightly better, then sold the customer some XTs and he has been stoked.
Happens to me nearly every time I bleed them to. So finicky holy shit. Easy deore salez!

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 11:59 Quote
We used to stock XT M8000s for bikes with Tektro and Magura brakes. It was such an easy upsell.

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 13:26 Quote
seraph wrote:
We used to stock XT M8000s for bikes with Tektro and Magura brakes. It was such an easy upsell.

At the peak of the avid shit show, we were selling 2-4 sets of deores a week... Sucks that shimano is such a shit show, becaise the brakes kick ass..

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 13:33 Quote
But the very worst part on that old light bike was that low profile Crank Brothers headset, Iodine was the name I think. It looked oh so frigging cool. It had that tiny rubber o ring instead of a compression ring in top cap.

In about a couple weeks it ate a groove in steerer - as sharp edge of machined cup would hit it. f*cked up a good fork - had to buy new uppers.

That was the last piece from Crank Brothers I bought ever.

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 13:35 Quote
I have shimano SLX M 7000 brakes on my hardtail..I plan on swapping the rear rotor from 160 mm to a 180 mm. Any worthwhile upgrades I can do to improve braking w/o breaking the bank, or should I leave them as is..? TIA..

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.031700
Mobile Version of Website