Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 10:44 Quote
I had some magnesium pedals with Ti axles from HT. They where 260g?

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 10:49 Quote
Twenty6 Predators with ti spindles.

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 11:15 Quote
dchill wrote:
Twenty6 Predators with ti spindles. We

Top performers

O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 11:46 Quote
Circe wrote:
I had some magnesium pedals with Ti axles from HT. They where 260g?
My Superstar Ultra Mags with Ti axles are 255g the pair, probably the same ones!

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 11:48 Quote
Problem is magnesium cracks easier then aluminum.
If you want inexpensive and light the Kona WaWa2 looks good

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 11:50 Quote
dchill wrote:

Never had a pedal crack. Doubt you'd run into many breaking pedals on a pump track bike unless you're a complete hack.

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 11:53 Quote
seraph wrote:
dchill wrote:

Never had a pedal crack. Doubt you'd run into many breaking pedals on a pump track bike unless you're a complete hack.
Forgot about the pump track part. I have broken mags on a dh bike

O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 12:03 Quote
I know this frame is heavy, but I have lots of light parts on it.. I am planning on racing in one of the red bull pump track events. I am not fast, but I at least want to have one of the coolest bikes there.

Large Yeti DJ, Specialized Roval Carbon hoops, Rockshox Pike DJ, SRAM XX1 Cranks Chris King 16t cog, Easton 35mm Haven DH Carbon, Easton carbon seat post, XT Brakes. 22.4lbs without pedals

I know the front brake is some weight and I may take it off later but that's not leaving yet.. Going to go to a lighter carbon seat, but loosing weight now gets hard.. Brake lines will be cut too when I put the 100mm air shaft in the Pike.

Large Yeti DJ Specialized Roval Carbon hoops Rockshox Pike DJ SRAM XX1 Cranks Chris King 16t cog Easton 35mm Haven DH Carbon XT Brakes. 22.4lbs

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 12:08 Quote
Losing weight shouldn't be too hard. My steel Edit 1 was 21 lbs with two DH brakes. The Pike DJ is defo heavier than the Velvet I was running, but I also had E.13 TRS+ alloy cranks and King hubs on there, as well as the Formula T1 with 2-piece rotors. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get down around 20-21 lbs.

O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 12:18 Quote
seraph wrote:
Losing weight shouldn't be too hard. My steel Edit 1 was 21 lbs with two DH brakes. The Pike DJ is defo heavier than the Velvet I was running, but I also had E.13 TRS+ alloy cranks and King hubs on there, as well as the Formula T1 with 2-piece rotors. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get down around 20-21 lbs.

I knew the Pike was heavier than some offerings.. I actually considered tracking down a carbon Revelation for the event. But that seemed kind of silly to spend that much when I have a perfectly functional pike that rides well when I have the bike in 4x garb.

I know it seems silly, but this is still a spare parts build that hasn't cost me all that much, I want to avoid spending stupid money on things just to shave grams.... But 20lbs sounds fun..

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 12:22 Quote
Yeti DJ , what a bike!!

O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 12:32 Quote
12t rear cog, proportionately smaller chainring and shorter chain will shed some grams without too much $$$ going out. And for the pump track race all three come off anyway!

Seatpost cut as much as possible?

O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 12:36 Quote
secondtimeuser wrote:
12t rear cog, proportionately smaller chainring and shorter chain will shed some grams without too much $$$ going out. And for the pump track race all three come off anyway!

Seatpost cut as much as possible?

The Seatpost is as ghetto as can be and it's cut short... I pulled it out of a clapped out DH bike a kid had and it came out in pieces, then I filed down the ridges on the head so that its buried in the frame.. Super janky, but for a dj bike, it works..

Cog is a 16t king cog and the 34t was what we had on the shop wall.. Like you said, it comes off for the event anyways.

List of things you shouldn t do.... File down a broken carbon post to fit deeper into your DJ frame. Pulled this post out of a kids Haggered dh frame in multiple pieces.. She isn t pretty but saves 200g

O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 12:39 Quote
Get one of those full carbon seats on Amazon, theyre like 30 bucks and super light. Not super comfortable but youre not sitting anyways

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 12:41 Quote
Get a carbon Tioga Spyder. 120g and actually pretty comfy if you need to sit down. Actually a carbon pivotal setup might be light.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.043258
Mobile Version of Website