Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 20:20 Quote
Fly bikes Ruben plastic pedals. Concave light and cheap. Hold your feet well enough.

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 20:21 Quote
I've been turned off from ever buying another I-beam saddle because of how uncomfortable the Atlas I-Beam saddle + Sixc I-Beam seat post is. It feels like I'm trying to sit on a steel top tube with a thin sponge on top. Can I-Beam saddles be comfortable? Do any of them have flex built in?

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 20:32 Quote
I beam - I don’t.

O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 20:48 Quote
I could see a lot of advantages for going I-Beam if more dropper post manufacturers made adapters. Currently its Thompson, 9point8, Gravity Dropper, Ks and thats about it. Then again SDG is one of the few companies who makes those saddles so not a big demand.

I ran Xpedo Spry pedals. I also bent/cracked them after a rock strike. I prefer plastic pedals these days.

O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 20:53 Quote
So I read the Knolly Fugitive should be 7.1lbs for 120mm with shock and 7.2lbs for 135mm with shock. No mention of frame size.

Thats pretty good for an alloy 29er designed to be ridden hard.

Better than the Sentinel/Smuggler and Prime/Phantom for sure.

O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 23:26 Quote
PHeller wrote:
So I read the Knolly Fugitive should be 7.1lbs for 120mm with shock and 7.2lbs for 135mm with shock. No mention of frame size.

Thats pretty good for an alloy 29er designed to be ridden hard.

Better than the Sentinel/Smuggler and Prime/Phantom for sure.

Are they actually making different frames for different travel or is it just a bigger shock?

O+
Posted: Feb 26, 2018 at 5:56 Quote
I was under the impression of longer stroke, same i2i but maybe its longer i2i as well. Say, 210x55 to 230x60?

Edit: Fugitive LT is 185x55 Trunion and shorter travel version is 185x50. Not enough to warrant any difference in weight.

Edit 2: Found it! The 120 is claimed weight with DPS shock, the Fugitive LT at 135mm is claimed weight with the heavier DPX rezzy shock.

Posted: Feb 26, 2018 at 7:13 Quote
Regarding this talk about the new XTR coming (possibly Sea Otter) do you guys think there will be another revamp of brakes or it's just the drivetrain? Also, isn't Saint due for a remodel, the 820 brakes have been on the market for years now without updating?

O+
Posted: Feb 26, 2018 at 8:29 Quote
SileTzar wrote:
Regarding this talk about the new XTR coming (possibly Sea Otter) do you guys think there will be another revamp of brakes or it's just the drivetrain? Also, isn't Saint due for a remodel, the 820 brakes have been on the market for years now without updating?

yes and yes, I wouldn't be surprised if they did zee as well. maybe similar to the new wide range deore? improved 10 speed, maybe 7?

Shanaynay also released those xt quad piston brakes, I wouldnt be surprised if they released zee or said on a similar platform, beefed up of course

Posted: Feb 26, 2018 at 9:10 Quote
I realize the name of this thread means you guys are into the latest and lightest gizmos for your bike , but , do you ever feel durability is compromised by all the weight shaving ? Honest question , no insults intended , I ride an endure bike as my trail bike so I definitely have similar aspirations . When I bomb a descent I don't want any worries , but getting to the good stuff I want it easy as possible . Tires are the best example , rear tire is always DH casing for performance and also durability , when I ride my bike I dare it to break and if the component fails I go to the closest to DH component I can get .I really come to the conclusion I need stronger legs vs lighter bike . please comment and know that I mean no injustice to your thread

O+
Posted: Feb 26, 2018 at 9:25 Quote
theminsta wrote:
I've been turned off from ever buying another I-beam saddle because of how uncomfortable the Atlas I-Beam saddle + Sixc I-Beam seat post is. It feels like I'm trying to sit on a steel top tube with a thin sponge on top. Can I-Beam saddles be comfortable? Do any of them have flex built in?

I-Fly (Atlas) is pure competition race saddle, so it's built to be light, stiff and strong. Considering there's no flex channel, it's obviously not going to be forgiving at all. But if you're looking for the lightest DH strength level combo out there, there's no better setup than I-Fly + Carbon I-Beam post.

For a short period of time we started offering the Duster saddle in I-Beam configuration, but built in a flex channel so it offers the same compliance as a railed saddle. However, you get gobs more range of adjustment, much more simple install (single bolt) and a stronger configuration. Considering it came out around the time that droppers were becoming imperative on trail bikes it never took off since there wasn't a popular I-Beam compatible dropper. Hopefully it makes a comeback as here's no more simple install than I-Beam and there's a laundry list of benefits that give it merit to implement in a trail bike application.

O+
Posted: Feb 26, 2018 at 9:25 Quote
Axxe wrote:
I beam - I don’t.

Go on?

O+
Posted: Feb 26, 2018 at 11:47 Quote
chickendog wrote:
I realize the name of this thread means you guys are into the latest and lightest gizmos for your bike , but , do you ever feel durability is compromised by all the weight shaving ? Honest question , no insults intended , I ride an endure bike as my trail bike so I definitely have similar aspirations . When I bomb a descent I don't want any worries , but getting to the good stuff I want it easy as possible . Tires are the best example , rear tire is always DH casing for performance and also durability , when I ride my bike I dare it to break and if the component fails I go to the closest to DH component I can get .I really come to the conclusion I need stronger legs vs lighter bike . please comment and know that I mean no injustice to your thread
It’s about saving grams at your drive train, cockpit, wheels, seat, allowing to run heavier tires and a coil shock and still come in around 30 lbs. Tough parts where you need them light parts where durability is not as important.

O+
Posted: Feb 26, 2018 at 11:56 Quote
Tires yes.. Coil no.. I don't think coil shocks are as needed as they used to be. Air stuff has gotten really good at a much lighter weight..

O+
Posted: Feb 26, 2018 at 12:28 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
Tires yes.. Coil no.. I don't think coil shocks are as needed as they used to be. Air stuff has gotten really good at a much lighter weight..

a lot of bikes these days pedal uphill well enough that the coil argument has become valid again though. my next shock will most likely be a coil, as not having to maintain it nearly as much is worth more than weight savings to me.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.058001
Mobile Version of Website