Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: May 4, 2018 at 9:50 Quote
Circe wrote:
theminsta wrote:
dingus wrote:

Would be interesting to see a test of the De-boner vs. the Luftkappe. Then a combo of both at the end.

I've always been amazed at the sheer incompetence and lack of sense by Cane Creek engineers and frankly everyone else. Why did it take all the big companies all this time to realize that you need a larger negative chamber volume and pressure at rest to counter the seal friction/drag/stiction and have a smooth stroke? How many people rode the Dual Air Spring system by rockshox and a few others? How many people knew that running a higher negative pressure gave the fork a "coil-like" top response? Why the f*ck do we have Boost and 15x100mm? Why is the debonair spring not available in NA until June/July?

Because you have to slowly trickle out innovation? Give consumers a reason to upgrade each year.

Posted: May 4, 2018 at 10:05 Quote
Custom Scott Genius

Did we talk about how long this would take? I'm interested in painting a carbon frame. I figure if I'm spraying it, I don't have to get super gnarly with prep. Just enough to get the paint to stick.

Posted: May 4, 2018 at 10:10 Quote
Circe wrote:
Custom Scott Genius

Did we talk about how long this would take? I'm interested in painting a carbon frame. I figure if I'm spraying it, I don't have to get super gnarly with prep. Just enough to get the paint to stick.

That dude is a lunatic!

I started following him on instagram to watch the progress of this thing.

O+
Posted: May 4, 2018 at 10:13 Quote
tangaroo wrote:
Circe wrote:
snip

That dude is a lunatic!

I had to stop following when he started shaving Next SLs. I have to look away when I see the train about to hit the car stuck on the tracks.

Posted: May 4, 2018 at 10:15 Quote
Winning the lunatic weight game

Posted: May 4, 2018 at 10:48 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
tangaroo wrote:
Circe wrote:
snip

That dude is a lunatic!

I had to stop following when he started shaving Next SLs. I have to look away when I see the train about to hit the car stuck on the tracks.

I grab popcorn!

Posted: May 4, 2018 at 12:10 Quote
He 10000% represents the spirit of the weight game. A Demi God among normies.

O+
Posted: May 4, 2018 at 14:28 Quote
Willing to put his life on the line in name of weight savings.

Posted: May 4, 2018 at 16:17 Quote
Circe wrote:

Stripping a full frame is a lot of work if you want to do it carefully, as in easily 20-25h work probably. The more concave spots (like the lower shock mount on the Genius) the more you're going to curse.
But if you're just repainting it you really should just sand it down a bit, since if you're using rattlecans or something, your new paint will stick way better to that than to raw carbon.

clapforcanadaa wrote:

As with a lot of things with this build, it's not even that much about the weight but more about looks and just building a really unique bike. I think there was like 3-4g of clear coat on the Next's I stripped last year, so it's not like that's what holds them together haha. Some UV protection and they're good to go, and if I one day find one of my pedals 20 meters behind me with the pedal insert attached it's not like it was because of the shaving.
I was actually going for "heavy" Intend aluminium cranks for a while but unfortunately they won't be available in time.

Believe it or not I actually try my best not to die. For example I'll have the Di2 routed through the steerer and into the frame, but unlike the other examples of this I've seen I'm actually having the steerer carbon reinforced. Should have some pics up of that soon. Custom CNC'd remote/shifter is still some weeks away, along with some other things.

Either way, thanks for keeping up with my good/bad ideas! I frequent here all the time, it's just that I'm bad at updating other places than Instagram.

O+
Posted: May 4, 2018 at 16:26 Quote
What is your Instagram?

O+
Posted: May 4, 2018 at 20:28 Quote
Beware the leopard print tights. Clearly cheating.

Posted: May 6, 2018 at 2:50 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Here ya go:

From Singletrack: "Speaking of the Zee brakes, we can now confirm that the new XT 4-piston calliper is different to the Saint/Zee callipers – something that wasn’t actually that clear with Shimano’s earlier press release. Whereas the new XT 4-piston calliper uses 15/17mm diameter pistons, the Saint and Zee callipers use bigger 16/18mm diameter pistons. As such, we’re expecting these brakes to have more power than the regular 2-piston XT brakes, but not quite as much gut-churning power as the Saint/Zee brakes."

"In terms of weight, our sample set of brakes came in at 301g for the front brake and 317g for the rear. Expect that weight to come down a little once we’ve chopped the hoses to a less lasso-like length. To put that weight into context, that’s about 40-50g heavier per end compared to the current XT 2-piston brakes. The Zee brakes we tested recently were 310g (front) and 326g (rear)."

This is great to know. I'll just get Zees then in time. Not paying all that extra to save 20-30g. The £/g isn't there on that one.

O+
Posted: May 6, 2018 at 9:07 Quote
This is weight game thread how could you desecrate this holy place with such words.

Posted: May 6, 2018 at 12:36 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
This is weight game thread how could you desecrate this holy place with such words.

This. Weight game license revoked.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.283585
Mobile Version of Website