Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
O+
Posted: May 6, 2018 at 13:28 Quote
Opinions on clipless pedals? Running Issi flash 2's off my gravel bike for the time being on my fire chicken. Looking at Xt's, Saints, and nukeproof horizons. Nukeproof horizon pricepoint/weight/features are ticking my boxes atm. Anyone have ride time?

Posted: May 6, 2018 at 13:59 Quote
Clipless pedals are 20th century technology. Go with the time and ride flats. Same weight pedals, lighter, more comfortable shoes.

O+
Posted: May 6, 2018 at 14:14 Quote
Axxe wrote:
Clipless pedals are 20th century technology. Go with the time and ride flats. Same weight pedals, lighter, more comfortable shoes.

Got flats too smart ass, anyone who's not ancient and most likely slow got a positive opinion?

O+
Posted: May 6, 2018 at 14:32 Quote
sherbet wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
This is weight game thread how could you desecrate this holy place with such words.

This. Weight game license revoked.

Disagree.

If better performances comes in a slightly heavier package which allows more savings else-where, it's more like the "value oriented weight game".

O+
Posted: May 6, 2018 at 15:21 Quote
Been using crank bros candies for 5 years, finally blew up the bearing on one. Picked up a set if mallet e this time.

Ohlins now has a light weight coil spring available for the ttx, noticeable difference. No scale to verify the actual numbers.

O+
Posted: May 6, 2018 at 15:37 Quote
Stayslacking wrote:
Opinions on clipless pedals? Running Issi flash 2's off my gravel bike for the time being on my fire chicken. Looking at Xt's, Saints, and nukeproof horizons. Nukeproof horizon pricepoint/weight/features are ticking my boxes atm. Anyone have ride time?

XT/XTR Trail pedals.. Thousands and thousands of miles on mine, 4 seasons of Cyclocross racing, various DH races, tons of resort and shuttle days. Once a year you adjust the bearings and squirt fresh grease into them..

Posted: May 6, 2018 at 16:34 Quote
Stayslacking wrote:
Axxe wrote:

Got flats too smart ass, anyone who's not ancient and most likely slow got a positive opinion?

I have a set of M530's that feel identical to my friends XT's. Had them 2 years, been very solid.

O+
Posted: May 6, 2018 at 16:48 Quote
Xt trails two years in no issues. A buddy of mine has the regular xt clipless and has done literally nothing to them for 4 years and he is going to replace them.

O+
Posted: May 6, 2018 at 17:41 Quote
Thanks guys, general consensus I"ve been hearing all over the place has been XT's or XTR's it seems like, may snag a set of those. In the meantime I ordered some nukeproof horizon CL pedals to try out, they seem to be getting good reviews as a new product, and they certainly don't break the bank by any means.

Posted: May 6, 2018 at 19:49 Quote
Had the opportunity to weigh 2 complete brake sets off the same bike with identical hose lengths and rotor sizes. Here's what I found -

Guide RSC F&R, 2x centreline 180, 1x PM 160 to 180 adaptor, all bolts - 870g
Hope E4 F&R, 2x floating rotors 180, 1xPM 160 to 180 adaptor, all bolts - 872g

Pleasantly surprised, assumed Hope would be a bit heavier. As for performance, streets ahead.

Posted: May 7, 2018 at 7:24 Quote
riish wrote:
Stayslacking wrote:
Axxe wrote:

I have a set of M530's that feel identical to my friends XT's. Had them 2 years, been very solid.

Same no reason to go xt unless you want chromo spindle.

Posted: May 7, 2018 at 8:32 Quote
Second XT Trails. Mine look beat to hell but I've not opened them up once since I owned them. 10/10.

That said I've been trying to use my flats more recently to top up my skills after relying on clips for too long. Recommendations for cheapish pedals that aren't shit?

O+
Posted: May 7, 2018 at 8:37 Quote
So when you have an enduro superbike that weighs hardly anything 160mm+ travel that is 95% as quick as a trail/xc bike on the climbs, at what point does an XC bike make sense other than for strava hunting and XC racing?

Posted: May 7, 2018 at 8:44 Quote
At the point where you realise that your enduro superbike is a shitload of money invested in something that never actually climbs as good as a trail/xc bike no matter what the marketing departments of said enduro superbike manufacturers claim.

O+
Posted: May 7, 2018 at 8:49 Quote
I've been riding cheap plastic pedals now for about a year, and I actually prefer them to my prior experiences with Xpedo Spry pedals. The Spry were very lightweight, but easily bent.

The plastic "Scudgood" cheapos look exactly like the Diety Compound, with adjustable/replacable metal pins, but are much more resistant to damage than cheaper metal platforms.

I was out with a new rider the other day who despite not being the fastest guy, managed to bend a spindle on a set of $70 Crank Bros Stamp.

I, on the other hand, have bashed my plastic pedals into things at high speed and not had any issues.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.049743
Mobile Version of Website