Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: May 8, 2018 at 5:54 Quote
Circe wrote:
Giladgu wrote:
looking for a 29er trail bike for next season. gonna be coaching and riding xc 4-5 days a week, so it needs to be a good pedaler, but also racing enduro on it on the weekend. So need it to be able to get rowdy as im a dher at heart.
The real zinger here is that im looking for a bike with longish chainstays (435+) which iv had a difficult time finding

the main bikes im looking at rn are the yeti 5.5 qnd 4.5, and ibis ripmo. However, i would preffer something a bit cheaper, and potentialy aluminum. But am struggling to find something i like with long enough cs.

anyone know of a bike that could fit the bill? would hate to drop 3k on a frame

I wouldn’t touch a Yeti. Everyone I know seems to have had bad luck with warranty.

I’m on a Ripmo now and stoked.

Clap seems amped on his Gravity Guerilla.

Yeah my GG Trail Pistol has been a great all around bike. Pedals just fine and it has no problem going fast downhill. CS are 429mm so close to what you're after. Reach is longer and nice steeper ST angle, so I haven't had any complaints.

If I was going carbon again though, I'd definitely get the Ripmo. That thing checks all the boxes for me.

Posted: May 8, 2018 at 7:01 Quote
Ripmo could be made into a 120mm travel trail bike with a 210x47.5 shock (which is what the Specialized Stumpy ST uses). Not sure how that would effect the suspension, but it'd probably be fine.

Downside of course is that without a taller lower headset cup you'd need to stay at 160mm travel in order to keep the bottom bracket high enough. Even with a huge 15mm lower cup you'd still be at 120/145.

I think 145mm/160mm would be a lot to tow around if coaching XC groms.

Posted: May 8, 2018 at 7:29 Quote
Circe wrote:
Giladgu wrote:
looking for a 29er trail bike for next season. gonna be coaching and riding xc 4-5 days a week, so it needs to be a good pedaler, but also racing enduro on it on the weekend. So need it to be able to get rowdy as im a dher at heart.
The real zinger here is that im looking for a bike with longish chainstays (435+) which iv had a difficult time finding

the main bikes im looking at rn are the yeti 5.5 qnd 4.5, and ibis ripmo. However, i would preffer something a bit cheaper, and potentialy aluminum. But am struggling to find something i like with long enough cs.

I wouldn’t touch a Yeti. Everyone I know seems to have had bad luck with warranty.

It's sad that I work at a Yeti dealer, was a huge fanboy for years, and I agree with this..

Posted: May 8, 2018 at 7:51 Quote
Giladgu wrote:

YT Jeffsy 29er? 435 cs and the price if right. Definitely a versatile bike.

Posted: May 8, 2018 at 9:15 Quote
I think the Jeffsy is about as cheap as you can get for a 29er carbon bike.

Posted: May 8, 2018 at 9:17 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Ripmo could be made into a 120mm travel trail bike with a 210x47.5 shock (which is what the Specialized Stumpy ST uses). Not sure how that would effect the suspension, but it'd probably be fine.

Downside of course is that without a taller lower headset cup you'd need to stay at 160mm travel in order to keep the bottom bracket high enough. Even with a huge 15mm lower cup you'd still be at 120/145.

I think 145mm/160mm would be a lot to tow around if coaching XC groms.

The frame is stupid light I think it’s 6 lbs. My build is 30 lbs with heavy tires and GX but i’ve seen one at just over 26.

I bet with a 34mm 150mm fork, inline shock, and weight weenie tires, it would do work on XC trails.

Posted: May 8, 2018 at 9:20 Quote
Circe wrote:
34mm 150mm fork

Don't think the 34 29 is offered in 150. Wish it was...

Posted: May 8, 2018 at 9:21 Quote
It is, I’ve owned two

Posted: May 8, 2018 at 9:23 Quote
Giladgu wrote:

YT Jeffsy 29. Budget means you can drop more cash on making it more DH capable. Super good at pedaling and a hoot on the down. Long stays too- 435 on medium and 440 on large and XL.

Posted: May 8, 2018 at 9:23 Quote
They at least come oem still, stumpys are coming with them iirc

Posted: May 8, 2018 at 9:24 Quote
My vote is on the jeffsy for this one, pretty sweet bikes

Posted: May 8, 2018 at 9:24 Quote
Stayslacking wrote:

Will look into it then. Wanted one for gf's Switchblade 29 build. She is small and doesn't need the 36. It's alot of bike for her (weight wise)...

Posted: May 8, 2018 at 10:35 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
Stayslacking wrote:

Will look into it then. Wanted one for gf's Switchblade 29 build. She is small and doesn't need the 36. It's alot of bike for her (weight wise)...

I honestly don’t know why anyone would buy a 34. Sure, you may not need it, but the weight penalty is minimal and you have more damper options

Posted: May 8, 2018 at 10:38 Quote
Over a pound in weight savings off the front end is significant for a 120 lbs girl.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022462
Mobile Version of Website