Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
O+
Posted: May 27, 2018 at 17:11 Quote
Wooo in the series of a few pages we had a user who destroyed an Onyx hub and a Ohlims fork!

Maybe by the end of the weekend we can have someone break an Unno and destroy some other super-premuim thing?!?

Posted: May 27, 2018 at 17:15 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Wooo in the series of a few pages we had a user who destroyed an Onyx hub and a Ohlims fork!

Maybe by the end of the weekend we can have someone break an Unno and destroy some other super-premuim thing?!?

Most ohlins is made by SR Suntour!

Posted: May 27, 2018 at 17:34 Quote
chunter wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
So pretty sure my Ohlins Rfx air cartridge disassembled itself inside my fork mid road trip..

Got a lap in up Bellingham and it was making a little noise.. By the 4th lap up galbraith, it was really not happy. Going to see about doing a coil conversion on it once I get home.

If ohlins had a time machine, I wonder if they’d go back and never get into MTB? Or maybe just do it without specialED

If they had a time machine, the world would be a different place. But that goes for anyone with a time machine. How do we know someone doesn’t already have one and is messing with our minds (SuperBoost, 28.99 DUB, Pi isn’t exactly 3)?

O+
Posted: May 27, 2018 at 18:43 Quote
PHeller wrote:

This same trip My yeti dj frame just started making a scarry creaking noise.. More than the usual noise.. But it's a Yeti, so failure is expected. I am emotionally preparing myself for that since I actually kind of like that frame and was hoping it wouldn't 'suffer the same fate as the rest of my Yetis.

O+
Posted: May 27, 2018 at 20:46 Quote
Break it Yeti? Sooni.

Lol

O+
Posted: May 27, 2018 at 21:13 Quote
chunter wrote:
PHeller wrote:

Most ohlins is made by SR Suntour!

Source? Curious

O+
Posted: May 27, 2018 at 21:28 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Break it Yeti? Sooni.

Lol

Was only a matter of time. It's been litterally the only frame of theirs that I have hard that hasn't broke.. It's kind of my last straw of Yeti stoke..

O+
Posted: May 27, 2018 at 22:10 Quote
MrElFranko wrote:
i hate mountain biking. all of you need to fix your life. ban me i dare you

I like you.. Let's be friends

O+
Posted: May 27, 2018 at 23:03 Quote
Trying to win some weight game and keep the coil shock. So, what's the lightest kind of spring you can put on your shock? Titanium, SLS or is there something else?

Posted: May 28, 2018 at 4:45 Quote
shoshy wrote:
Trying to win some weight game and keep the coil shock. So, what's the lightest kind of spring you can put on your shock? Titanium, SLS or is there something else?

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/patmcc/blog/titanium-vs-performance-steel-coils.html

^^Thats a good read on the subject. However, I do remember PUSH dissing SLS springs as they have limited life span - 8 months use (for an average rider, whatever that means) or 500,000 cycles. Hence, they went with traditional springs on their 11/6. I am surprised this statement from PUSH never got traction or seems its been widely ignored.

O+
Posted: May 28, 2018 at 5:46 Quote
I've saw that article,It really is a good read. And a very good argument to avoid cheap titanium.

O+
Posted: May 28, 2018 at 6:53 Quote
I've run ti springs, lite spring, rcs, and the SAR enduro metric one. Ti springs I've only run the race ones and they felt accurate, same with RCS. RCS shipped the fastest of the ti ones, ti springs took a while since they generally have to make them to order. Lite spring took months, not sure they even make springs anymore, but it was super light, also felt a little undersprung, and that was also for the beta c one. Tried to order an obtanium one a while ago but couldn't get a hold of anyone at the shop or website to do so, it truly was unobtainable.

I think my favorite right now is the SAR enduro metric one since it shipped instantly, uses less material due to the wider spaced coils, feels accurate, and it's compatible with all shocks using POM spacers vs having to buy a new coil anytime you switch out your shock to one with a different ID. The anodized beta c race springs do look awesome though, will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

As far as ti being more supple than steel, might be the case on the exact same shock when comparing, but shock mount bearings make a much bigger difference than comparing ti vs steel.

O+
Posted: May 28, 2018 at 7:47 Quote
SAR doesnt list weights of the shorter spring + POM spacer. Is that setup really lighter than other options?

O+
Posted: May 28, 2018 at 8:16 Quote
On my newmad:
superdeluxe rct3 damper with bearings and no spring mounted 480g
stock rockshox 450lb spring 505g
SAR enduro 65mm 500lb spring 315g
Damper with shock mounted / spacer / shock collar ready to mount in frame: 860g

So the spacers and shock collars added about 65g.

With it being a 65mm or 2.559in stroke, comparing the 600lb rcs ti spring I have on my fox dhx2 in 8.5x2.5 that one the spring alone weighed 380g, and the ccdb rcs ti 600x2.5 spring I have weighs 430g. Interesting that the ID of fox springs being narrower actually does make a difference comparing the same spring weight / stroke across different shocks.

Also talking coil shocks a dhx2 has less breakaway force than a ccdb or superdeluxe RCT3, but the climbing circuit on the ccdb is more useful with also slowing down the rebound. Rockshox superdeluxe rct3 threshold lockout is better for general riding than the fox since it firms it up but still gives on bumps, the dhx2 climb lever just lets it sag in the travel and makes it really stiff, it's the worst climber of the three but the best descender IMHO, still useful for fireroads.

O+
Posted: May 28, 2018 at 8:24 Quote
Crisis averted.. It wasn't the fork..

Had 2 different things making noise. One of the backing nuts that go through the frame and hold the downtube skid plate on was loose and the sound reverberated up through the frame. Also I have a pump/co2 combo shoved way up the swat box and the c02 canister had a tiny bit of play inside the pump and on big hits, it would rattle slightly..

I feel dumb but it was pretty amazing where the source of the noise was and where you heard it coming from.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.041268
Mobile Version of Website