Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 0:38 Quote
me2menow wrote:
riish wrote:
Got a few multi-day rides planned next month, and wanting to give myself easier gears to push, given the extra weight of camping gear.

Does anyone know if it's possible to fit a 64bcd ring to a V3 Nomad, so I can just change the chain over by hand? Have a SLX 2x crankset.
literally the most un weight game thing I have ever read on here. Mods, banish him

Hey, the crankset is 2x but I'm running a 1x10 setup.
Also, adding a 24t inner ring is likely lighter than a larger cassette, so it's not all bad news on the weight front.

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 0:43 Quote
That 24 ring works a treat especially with an 11-42

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 0:57 Quote
Riyadh wrote:

lol lol

Running an 11-34 cassette, the saint mech won't take more than 11-36.

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 1:23 Quote
riish wrote:
Riyadh wrote:

lol lol

Give it a oneup rad cage and a sunrace 11-42 cassette! My zee works well with that combo.

Ps: 32t front, i rarely have to push.

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 3:17 Quote
riish wrote:
Got a few multi-day rides planned next month, and wanting to give myself easier gears to push, given the extra weight of camping gear.

Does anyone know if it's possible to fit a 64bcd ring to a V3 Nomad, so I can just change the chain over by hand? Have a SLX 2x crankset.

if there is room for the small chainring, take a look, you only need maybe 10mm. giver.

I have a granny ring on both my Reign and Nomad. rarely use them but some climbs go forever, great when out of juice.

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 4:41 Quote
lifted-d wrote:
riish wrote:

if there is room for the small chainring, take a look, you only need maybe 10mm. giver.

I have a granny ring on both my Reign and Nomad. rarely use them but some climbs go forever, great when out of juice.

It's just for bikepacking trips that I want the extra gears. At some point I'll probably switch over to an 11-speed setup completely, hopefully soon.

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 5:09 Quote
riish wrote:
Riyadh wrote:

lol lol

I'm on a 12-36 purely cos that's what I have and I haven't had any issues with it lol . Grow legs not cassettes tup

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 8:29 Quote
If you use narrow wide rings you should be alright. Actually kind of a neat idea for bikepacking. No need to run a front derailleur, but allows the use of a 11-36t cassette while still getting good gear range.

Ramped rings will likely want to pull the chain off due to the chainline. It might be fine most of the time, but I'd expect more dropped chains when the going gets rough.

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 8:44 Quote
I used to run a granny ring and put into the granny ring by hand for long climbs before I switched to 11sp wide range.

No front derailleur required although it may be tight between the chain and frame when in the low gear on the nomad. But rings are cheap so it wouldn't cost much to find out.

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 12:05 Quote
What're ya'll thoughts on integrated droppers?

At first, I thought they were a cool way of lightening droppers. Then KS tells us that nope, not any lighter. Oh but of course it must be longer? Nope, not any longer, either.

What the hell is the point?

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 12:06 Quote
PHeller wrote:

At first, I thought they were a cool way of lightening droppers. Then KS tells us that nope, not any lighter. Oh but of course it must be longer? Nope, not any longer, either.

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 12:17 Quote
Where is the overly large image saying "because we want to lock you into buying our product and only our product."

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 12:26 Quote
RyanWensley wrote:
PHeller wrote:

Eek. That color.

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 13:35 Quote
PHeller wrote:

very much my thoughts also.

they're suggesting stiffness improvements due to larger stanchion diameters...can't say i've ever thought my dropper was too flexy and i'm not a light guy.

eightpins marketed it better for sure, but still not overly convinced.

feels like droppers still have a way to go.

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 13:54 Quote
I just want to press a button for my dropper to go down. Why are we still using our butts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.038318
Mobile Version of Website