Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Nov 9, 2018 at 17:31 Quote
Circe wrote:
I've only ridden the regular Stumpy. I wasn't that impressed. At 5'8, I actually hopped on the Large to get the reach I was looking for. STA wasn't steep enough, stock aluminum wheels were flexy, and I wasn't pumped on the skinny tires. I'm pretty sold on 2.5" -2.6" and low air pressure for everything short of XC riding.

The regular stumpys come with 2.6’s.....

Posted: Nov 9, 2018 at 18:28 Quote
kev1n wrote:

Have any of you ridden the new stumpjumper evo? The geometry on that bike is so rad. On paper it seems extreme but on the trail, it just works so well.

The new Evo frickin' rocks. Pedals up very well despite the numbers. Downhill is a given. Only complaint is it's very vulnerable to pedal strikes and maybe a little heavy - stock.

Posted: Nov 9, 2018 at 18:41 Quote
kwapik wrote:
kev1n wrote:

Have any of you ridden the new stumpjumper evo? The geometry on that bike is so rad. On paper it seems extreme but on the trail, it just works so well.

The new Evo frickin' rocks. Pedals up very well despite the numbers. Downhill is a given. Only complaint is it's very vulnerable to pedal strikes and maybe a little heavy - stock.

It’s a Sentinel/Patrol knockoff, of course it’s sick. Probably lighter, too

Posted: Nov 9, 2018 at 18:45 Quote
I think we'll see this kind of geometry on all future mtbs.

Posted: Nov 9, 2018 at 18:47 Quote
kwapik wrote:
I think we'll see these kinds of numbers on all future mtbs.

Let’s hope so! Just had to get my daily Spesh diss in for the day

Posted: Nov 9, 2018 at 18:55 Quote
Haha...I'm not a big fan of Specialized either.

By the way, they're about the same weight. An S3 is 34 lbs 5 oz without pedals.

Posted: Nov 9, 2018 at 19:07 Quote
Carbon evo is coming out real soon too

Posted: Nov 9, 2018 at 19:14 Quote
iggzdaloc wrote:
Carbon evo is coming out real soon too

I’ve definitely seen the mule around. Curious to see what they do with the Enduro, that’s almost become a forgotten bike

Posted: Nov 9, 2018 at 19:43 Quote
I just checked out pics and video of the new Pole Stamina built up and ridden on their website, looks cool. Look forward to a toned down version with 160ish travel too

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 11:58 Quote
Funny story from today weight game people might find amusing.

My buddy lined up a gap jump today. It was a double with a 15ft gap, step down. Really intimidating jump with a hard run in and hard, rocky ground. I definitely wasn't hitting it on my 140mm trail bike (I'd think twice about hitting it on any bike).

My buddy who's on a 2013 Pheonix Firebird fancies it. He's got a heavy-ass build on it. 26" wheels with 655g Mavic 823 rims and DH casing minions. 180mm Fox 36 forks.

I tried to talk him out of it because the consequences of coming up short looked to be pretty horrendous.

He's ignored me and come in fast but not fast enough and cased it badly with an all mighty crunch and a ping.

36 has bottomed out, shock bottomed out, he's hit his chin on the stem, both ankles and both wrists killing him.

Once we work out his jaw isn't broken and he's alright I go to check his bike - assuming he's destroyed the back wheel and we're going to have to walk back.

There's a spoke blown out and flat spot in the rear wheel. I pick it up to spin it and it's completely true lol still holding pressure tubeless lol

I honestly think when a Nuclear war breaks out and everything is destroyed those 655g 26" Mavic 823s will be the only thing left.

He's not winning the weight game but jeez

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 12:39 Quote
Mavic is the real deal, no fluff my old mavic xmax st and deemax show no signs of problems at over 10 and 9 yrs old!!

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 12:55 Quote
Mavic rims are the proper job when it comes to tubeless.

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 13:24 Quote
My 729s were bomber as well! Ran the same set for a few years on a few different bikes. Don't think I ever touched them outside of swapping tires.

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 18:12 Quote
nubbs wrote:
Kitejumping wrote:
chunter wrote:

Not that bad for a rear wheel at all, especially if it holds up!

Did a quick test on these tubeless to see if I still need to run procore. Bead lock anti burp doesn't work, third parking lot cuttie and it burped a ton of air and sealant out. 34 psi minion ss exo. They do seem slightly more burp resistant than most rims though.

Vid or it didnt happen! Exo casing minion ss is sooo weak sauce with no tire insert things. Lasted one ride for me...

Two days of rock smashing on it in Moab and it already has a flat spot. Bead lip is fine so I guess procore works for that at least, didnt bottom out the tire but had a few landings on rock edges lol.

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 19:49 Quote
Kitejumping wrote:
nubbs wrote:
Kitejumping wrote:

Did a quick test on these tubeless to see if I still need to run procore. Bead lock anti burp doesn't work, third parking lot cuttie and it burped a ton of air and sealant out. 34 psi minion ss exo. They do seem slightly more burp resistant than most rims though.

Vid or it didnt happen! Exo casing minion ss is sooo weak sauce with no tire insert things. Lasted one ride for me...

Two days of rock smashing on it in Moab and it already has a flat spot. Bead lip is fine so I guess procore works for that at least, didnt bottom out the tire but had a few landings on rock edges lol.

Sounds like you should get reserve rim/wheelset and see how disposable they are.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.030375
Mobile Version of Website