Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Apr 6, 2019 at 1:52 Quote
Nothing like measuring strength and stiffness using your eyes

Posted: Apr 6, 2019 at 3:18 Quote
iggzdaloc wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
It really is. My aluminum Bird AM9 is 6.6 lbs without shock and cost a third as much.

That frame looks laughably frail Beer

Aluminum bikes look thin after getting used to the profiles of carbon bikes. It's not the stiffest frame I've ridden, nor is it the most flexible.

The laterally "flattened" tube profiles are comparable to other aluminum bikes. Take the Mondraker Foxy, for example:

The carbon version looks especially frail from the side profile:

badbadleroybrown wrote:
Hard pass... that whole rear end looks weak and flexy as f*ck, some 1999 mtb design type shit going on there.

1999 was when bikes used more metal than a truck and still managed to crack:

Bird rear triangle dimensions are similar to a Guerrilla Gravity. I don't hear many comparisons to the '90s on Guerrilla Gravity frames:

Posted: Apr 6, 2019 at 7:46 Quote
iggzdaloc wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
It really is. My aluminum Bird AM9 is 6.6 lbs without shock and cost a third as much.

That frame looks laughably frail Beer

Haha says the guy with a Yeti. Who else is building bikes this expensive out of Vietnam? I just worked on a new Yeti and it was possible the worst bike I have ever worked. Tolerances are terrible on it.

Posted: Apr 6, 2019 at 10:36 Quote

Bird for reference. Looks pretty non controversial.

Posted: Apr 6, 2019 at 10:58 Quote
Circe wrote:

Looks like a Nukeproof.

Posted: Apr 6, 2019 at 11:10 Quote
Tsoxbhk wrote:
Tolerances are terrible on it.
Interesting... After taking mine apart I don't believe you.

Posted: Apr 6, 2019 at 12:21 Quote
iggzdaloc wrote:
Tsoxbhk wrote:
Tolerances are terrible on it.
Interesting... After taking mine apart I don't believe you.

It also sounds like Yeti has made some big improvements to their frame quality in recent years. You used to hear about them snapping all the time, but you don't hear that anymore. Could be because they've beefed up the frames (7.96lbs!)....Either way, it's cool they now offer a lifetime warranty.

Posted: Apr 6, 2019 at 13:42 Quote
seraph wrote:
Circe wrote:

Looks like a Nukeproof.

Did Nukeproof switch to Horst?

Edit. Looks like they did. Nice.

Posted: Apr 6, 2019 at 14:01 Quote
seraph wrote:
Circe wrote:
[giant photo of a rather nice AM9]

Looks like a Nukeproof.

One of my ride buds is on a Mega 29. It's true, our bikes look like siblings. Unfortunately, its rider looks ten years younger a lot fitter ...

Posted: Apr 7, 2019 at 11:49 Quote
For anyone who is curious about mixers, I popped a 27.5 rear wheel in my phantom and took some rough measurements.

Bottom bracket heights:
29 low setting ~330mm
29 high setting ~335mm
27.5 high setting ~325mm

Smaller wheel seemed to drop the bb by about 10mm, despite the 19mm change in radius. I thought I would need to upfork to 140mm to maintain a reasonable bb height, but 5mm lower than I was running it should be fine thanks to adjustable dropouts. Don’t want to slacken seat angle too much anyway.

Parking lot test says a bit more room for bunny hops, slight faster acceleration (not fair comparison though because 29 rim is alu and 27.5 is carbon), but not much difference otherwise. I suspect it will suffer on technical climbs, but can’t say yet.

Taking it for the maiden voyage on some flowy single track with a few jumps this afternoon, then on some techy (up + down) trails on the north shore tomorrow. Will report back!

Posted: Apr 7, 2019 at 19:08 Quote
Ran that setup a while ago just to dick around with it, it felt cool. Heeled into corners better and liked getting rowdier in general. I felt it detract significantly on the climbs though and all in all, I thought I accelerated faster (downhill) with both 29s. Ran dual 29s for a fontana race and never really switched back after that. Have a carbon 27.5 roval rear wheel just chilling in my garage.

Posted: Apr 8, 2019 at 12:31 Quote
me2menow wrote:
Anyone try out MRP progressive springs?

Just placed an order on one, we'll see how it turns out

Posted: Apr 8, 2019 at 15:39 Quote
shoshy wrote:
me2menow wrote:
Anyone try out MRP progressive springs?

Just placed an order on one, we'll see how it turns out
Please report. I’m keen to run a coil on my new Bronson but with the linear susp platform a progressive spring sounds like a good call.

Posted: Apr 9, 2019 at 12:58 Quote
ktm87 wrote:
What's everyone favorite fork of all time and why?

Unicorn Pike ruled!!!
 USMC You f cking rule buddy

Posted: Apr 9, 2019 at 13:05 Quote
me likey

weight related

With stainless hardware

first prototype with stainless hardware

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.093370
Mobile Version of Website