Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 12:40 Quote
rtclark wrote:
Nobble wrote:
Anyone tried a wax bath style of lube for their chain, like the molten speed wax stuff?

It sounds like it lasts crazy long. It would be cool if I could have a clean chain and only lube it a few times a season instead of basically every ride.

Yes, I've done it. Bought an ultrasonic cleaner off craigslist and used molten speed wax in a tiny crock pot. I really like the ultrasonic cleaner for the cassette and chain. Pretty simple process all together and you don't get as much grime build up in the drivetrain.
how did you like the wax lube?

How long did it last before you had to reapply it?

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 14:43 Quote
I've used a full wax immersion before. I ran it for 7 months without having to repeat the process. By far the smoothest and quietest "lube" I've ever used.

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 14:49 Quote
If you can afford it, ultrasonic cleaning and baths are awesome!

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 14:56 Quote
seraph wrote:
I've used a full wax immersion before. I ran it for 7 months without having to repeat the process. By far the smoothest and quietest "lube" I've ever used.
on or offroad?

Its looking like a pretty solid option so far.

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 15:19 Quote
Nobble wrote:
seraph wrote:
on or offroad?

Its looking like a pretty solid option so far.

I had it on my on/off/road+/gravel bike. Fair amount of dirt and dust ridden upon. I highly recommend it.

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 16:36 Quote
Anyone ever hear of this company: http://www.m-suspensiontech.com/federgabel/rock-shox-yari/

That Yari damper upgrade looks pretty good for $250.

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 16:38 Quote
Did wax over winter, and when I say they salt the roads here I really really really mean it. Wax was definitely the best choice.

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 17:48 Quote
Nobble wrote:
rtclark wrote:
Nobble wrote:
Anyone tried a wax bath style of lube for their chain, like the molten speed wax stuff?

It sounds like it lasts crazy long. It would be cool if I could have a clean chain and only lube it a few times a season instead of basically every ride.

Yes, I've done it. Bought an ultrasonic cleaner off craigslist and used molten speed wax in a tiny crock pot. I really like the ultrasonic cleaner for the cassette and chain. Pretty simple process all together and you don't get as much grime build up in the drivetrain.
how did you like the wax lube?

How long did it last before you had to reapply it?

I had it on for a few months, but it could pry go 4 months, depends on your mileage. I think molten speed has some recommendations on their site. I switched the drivetrain to a different bike and cleaned and re-waxed. The bag of wax goes pretty far if your chain is super clean before dipping it. all the dirt will come off the chain and remain in the excess wax, so, getting the chain really clean will leave less debris for future use. I just keep the left over in the crockpot.

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 20:37 Quote
Nobble wrote:

Been doing this on my road bikes for years... ultrasonic jewelry cleaner to get all the packing grease out of the chain (be warned, it'll mar the dlc if you use a dlc chain) and then soak in wax on low heat overnight (slow cooker works great)... haven't tried on dirt but got nearly 1000 miles on my last road chain waxing before I felt like doing it again, honestly could've probably gone longer too.

On the mountain bike, I just use rock n roll gold after a ride... drip it on, wipe it down, and it's ready for the next ride. Adds like 90 seconds to post ride routine and I always know it's ready to roll.

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 2:12 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Nobble wrote:

Been doing this on my road bikes for years... ultrasonic jewelry cleaner to get all the packing grease out of the chain (be warned, it'll mar the dlc if you use a dlc chain) and then soak in wax on low heat overnight (slow cooker works great)... haven't tried on dirt but got nearly 1000 miles on my last road chain waxing before I felt like doing it again, honestly could've probably gone longer too.

On the mountain bike, I just use rock n roll gold after a ride... drip it on, wipe it down, and it's ready for the next ride. Adds like 90 seconds to post ride routine and I always know it's ready to roll.

Soaking the chain in wax overnight is overkill. All you need to do is let it sit in there until the air bubbles stop. And I've never had an ultrasonic damage a DLC chain. I used a mixture of Miracle Red and water, about 1/4 ratio, in a 30L ultrasonic cleaner and it worked great on an XX1 Eagle DLC chain.

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 6:59 Quote
I have done the molten speed wax. Not a fan. Did it before a big gravel tour. Second day in my chain sounded like shit. That was a 100 miles in.

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 9:00 Quote
seraph wrote:
Soaking the chain in wax overnight is overkill. All you need to do is let it sit in there until the air bubbles stop. And I've never had an ultrasonic damage a DLC chain. I used a mixture of Miracle Red and water, about 1/4 ratio, in a 30L ultrasonic cleaner and it worked great on an XX1 Eagle DLC chain.
If you clean it sufficiently to get all the packing grease out, you've gotta soak at least a couple hours to get the wax fully penetrated, overnight is just easier. I use a much smaller cleaner and everywhere the chain touched itself the DLC was scratched. Not a big deal for me, still worked great just made the chain look a little beat up.

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 4:59 Quote
Anyone here ridden the Specialized eliminator blck dmnd? Trying to figure out a new rear tyre for damp to dry trails and I like the look of the new Specialized stuff. Was pretty set on a maxxis aggressor wt but not sure it’ll have enough bite.

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 7:47 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
Anyone here ridden the Specialized eliminator blck dmnd? Trying to figure out a new rear tyre for damp to dry trails and I like the look of the new Specialized stuff. Was pretty set on a maxxis aggressor wt but not sure it’ll have enough bite.

Haven't tried the Eliminator yet, but the wide trail Aggressor does have some pretty tall knobs. It's not as meaty as a DHR2, which I think is absolutely incredible as a rear tire, but it still holds it's own while still rolling fairly quickly.

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 13:20 Quote
I have the Eliminator Black Diamond in a 29x2.6 on my hardtail. Been a great tire compared to my usual Butcher/Butcher combo.. The Hardtail is kind of a hard bike to really give a proper tire review. I end up running pressure up around 30psi to keep the carbon rims safe when I pinball that bike through rocks and off jumps.. But it definitely rolls faster than the butcher did and still offers real cornering traction.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.035873
Mobile Version of Website