Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: May 8, 2019 at 17:01 Quote
Anyone have opinions on the 2019 banshee Rune?

I found a medium frame for $1k and am thinking about grabbing it to build a bike for the GF by swapping parts off my scout. She's a total beginner so I'm not too concerned about minutia like anti-squat and stuff. I'm just looking for something durable that rides reasonably well to see if she takes to it.

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 17:08 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Anyone have opinions on the 2019 banshee Rune?

I found a medium frame for $1k and am thinking about grabbing it to build a bike for the GF by swapping parts off my scout. She's a total beginner so I'm not too concerned about minutia like anti-squat and stuff. I'm just looking for something durable that rides reasonably well to see if she takes to it.

For a beginner, it's mostly about the fit. Steering geometry to a lesser extent.

Reach is short for a given size, but so is the seat tube. Fits about one size smaller than the nominal size, so size up, if possible.

Head angle is slack, so she'll get some wheel flop at low speeds, but it will be stable and safe on the descents.

Overall, you could do a lot worse.

P.S. Just because you told us to ignore kinematics, here's my take on the kinematics:

Leverage curve: Moderately progressive, designed for an air shock. I like it (with an air shock).
Anti-squat: Low, but not Knolly or Whyte low. Might bob a little, but nothing serious.

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 17:12 Quote
Banshee’s have a tendency to develop cracks so a close inspection would be wise.

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 18:49 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
Banshee’s have a tendency to develop cracks so a close inspection would be wise.
I've heard that from a few people.

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 19:23 Quote
wrote:
clapforcanadaa wrote:
Bel-Air hasn't changed in 10+ years as it's proven to be an comfortable shape for the majority of riders. You can check out the Bel-Air 2.0 which has the same base as the one you have, but in a much lighter package. However it doesn't have Kevlar sides, so won't hold up to crashes as well as the Bel-Air.

If you're comfortable on flat profile saddles, you should check out the Radar. It's essentially all of our years of saddle tech blended into one new profile. MEC stocks them as well so they're easy to get in the lower mainland.

Devyn?

Yooo!

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 19:53 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
Devyn?
Yooo!

Oh hey! Ryan here, formerly from Structure. Wish we could've worked together, but that company was such a mess and was more into buying new Mercedes than paying salaries.

Still laugh when I remember the Falcon you sent me in a Wheat Thins box, covered in mud and looking so fresh off a bike that I was worried it would still be warm! lol

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 22:25 Quote
Nobble wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:

I think they made some changes to the shock mount design where the old ones cracked, but it would be worth checking all the welds regardless

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 22:42 Quote
Nobble wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:

Yeah.... mine cracked in a couple spots... Still rode the hell out of it. I really liked how that bike rode though. Pedals good, sturdy when you ditch the bike in a crash etc. But the welds led to cracking. Inspect the frame closely if you can. Mine was cracked on upper link, seat tube pivot axle piece along the weld, and lower link bearing seat on rear triangle non driveside. Hope that helps. New frames might be better off idk.

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 5:42 Quote
nubbs wrote:
Nobble wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:

Yeah.... mine cracked in a couple spots... Still rode the hell out of it. I really liked how that bike rode though. Pedals good, sturdy when you ditch the bike in a crash etc. But the welds led to cracking. Inspect the frame closely if you can. Mine was cracked on upper link, seat tube pivot axle piece along the weld, and lower link bearing seat on rear triangle non driveside. Hope that helps. New frames might be better off idk.

Mine cracked near shock mount weld on DT.

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 6:42 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
clapforcanadaa wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
Devyn?
Yooo!

Oh hey! Ryan here, formerly from Structure. Wish we could've worked together, but that company was such a mess and was more into buying new Mercedes than paying salaries.

Still laugh when I remember the Falcon you sent me in a Wheat Thins box, covered in mud and looking so fresh off a bike that I was worried it would still be warm! lol

Hahaha, yeah I keep it real pro with my packaging!

Was bummed when you left, but definitely sounds like it was a needed change.

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 6:43 Quote
Is there a list out there for common trail/enduro parts weight ?

EDIT: Recent parts*

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 10:32 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
clapforcanadaa wrote:

Yooo!

Hahaha, yeah I keep it real pro with my packaging!

Was bummed when you left, but definitely sounds like it was a needed change.

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 10:38 Quote
whattheheel wrote:

Easy now, do we look like a dolphin and a unicorn?

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 10:44 Quote
Kind of. You damn canucks all look the same to us down here in freedom land.lol

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 13:54 Quote
So Saracen have refused to warranty my Ariel. They say it's impact damage from a hard hit. I know for sure this hasn't happened, and if it is from an impact it can only have been from small stones thrown up by my front tire as would happen on any normal ride.

But as I can't prove I haven't crashed it into something it looks like I'm shit out of luck. I can't believe they didn't spec a plastic down tube protector like every other carbon bike out there. I had taped some inner tube to the bike in an effort to protect the area. Phoned them up and they're taking a second look at it but I'm not getting my hopes up. Will update with how this goes. They're also looking into crash replacement but I simply don't have any more money. They have offered to find me a place that would repair it but again I'd have to pay for this. I'm lucky I still have my old frame.

Managed to ride it a grand total of 7 times, 98.1 miles. Can't say how gutted I am, three months wages down the shitter just because they can't be arsed to spec a 50p bit of plastic where it counts.

Don't buy a Saracen.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.033661
Mobile Version of Website