Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Author Message
Posted: May 13, 2019 at 15:53 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Ok so is anyone still using ETT to size bikes?

I have the ability to change my order on a new Guerrilla Gravity and the sizing is wacking me out. I previously rode their custom sized Extra Medium and fit like a glove. They told me that the Size 3 would mimic that bike, but on paper, that does not look like the case. The ETT is wayyy shorter, even if the reach is the same.

Without confirming the numbers, just going from what you stated:

You can turn the new geometry into the old geometry, if you want, by sliding your seat back on the rails and/or using an offset seatpost. A short ETT with rearward offset at the post and/or seat rails is the same as long ETT without offset: the only thing that matters is where your hips end up, not what combination of variables put them there.

That said, I vote for you to size up. Get a longer reach and steeper seat tube with a similar ETT. Obviously, I have no idea how you ride, where you ride of how your existing bike fits you; this is just my universal recommendation!

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 19:05 Quote
Circe wrote:
I saved exactly one lb switching from an XT 11 speed with KS post to new AXS X01 with E-Verb

whoa

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 20:11 Quote
Circe wrote:
seraph wrote:
So I definitely maybe ordered an X01 Eagle AXS kit for my Stumpjumper. Maybe.

I installed one on my bike last night (with the dropper) and my new One Up Bar/Stem. Bike is f*cking fresh!

Was pretty painless to install. Took less time than a cable setup....on topic, I saved exactly one lb switching from an XT 11 speed with KS post to new AXS X01 with E-Verb
Wow, that's impressive and quite a bit more than I would've guessed.

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 21:55 Quote
Yeah, it was a bit surprising. I didn't think of the e kit as being lighter....

XT 11 Speed Cassette is 440 g. X01 Cassette is 350. So big weight savings there. I don't know what the XT cranks weighed (my guess is ~600g), new X01 cranks (do we still make explosion jokes about these?) weigh 460. So, another big chunk.

Cables and housing weigh a surprising amount. Pretty stoked to go out for a rip tomorrow. Trying to decide if I go minion/ minion or minion/aggressor on this bike. Oh, and what width. I'm pretty sold on baby fat, e.i. 2.6/2.5 tires. Currently have DD Minion front and rear, but that's park spec. I can get away with EXO in Santa Cruz and save half a pound?

Hey, look at us! On topic.

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 22:53 Quote
Circe wrote:
Yeah, it was a bit surprising. I didn't think of the e kit as being lighter....

XT 11 Speed Cassette is 440 g. X01 Cassette is 350. So big weight savings there. I don't know what the XT cranks weighed (my guess is ~600g), new X01 cranks (do we still make explosion jokes about these?) weigh 460. So, another big chunk.

Cables and housing weigh a surprising amount. Pretty stoked to go out for a rip tomorrow. Trying to decide if I go minion/ minion or minion/aggressor on this bike. Oh, and what width. I'm pretty sold on baby fat, e.i. 2.6/2.5 tires. Currently have DD Minion front and rear, but that's park spec. I can get away with EXO in Santa Cruz and save half a pound?

Hey, look at us! On topic.

After all the years of granade jokes about XO cranks, I am amazed that I have never blown a pair up.. I have them on my DJ bike and I had a pair that bounced between my DH and enduro bikes.

I am 215lbs, ride like a retarded hippo and I have bent spindles on XT and Saint Cranks on my DJ and DH bikes, but haven't killed my carbon XO cranks.. So maybe they are not that bad? Or I am just lucky and now that the wife has life insurance on me, I'll blow a pair up?

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 23:00 Quote
Circe wrote:
Yeah, it was a bit surprising. I didn't think of the e kit as being lighter....

XT 11 Speed Cassette is 440 g. X01 Cassette is 350. So big weight savings there. I don't know what the XT cranks weighed (my guess is ~600g), new X01 cranks (do we still make explosion jokes about these?) weigh 460. So, another big chunk.

Cables and housing weigh a surprising amount. Pretty stoked to go out for a rip tomorrow. Trying to decide if I go minion/ minion or minion/aggressor on this bike. Oh, and what width. I'm pretty sold on baby fat, e.i. 2.6/2.5 tires. Currently have DD Minion front and rear, but that's park spec. I can get away with EXO in Santa Cruz and save half a pound?

Hey, look at us! On topic.

It's good that AXS isn't adding weight. Still, and e*thirteen cassette is 310 g, e*thirteen cranks of equally questionable strength are 384 g (claimed), and Jagwire XEX-SL housing would save about 60 g. That's about a pound saved. Of course the appeal of AXS goes far beyond weight, just saying it's not winning the weight wars among expensive parts. Impressive that it's even a contender, though.

Re: tires: Also a fan of tires in the 2.6" range, providing the rims are wide enough to support them. If you're concerned whether EXO will survive, consider the new EXO+, which adds an additional layer over the entire casing.

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 23:24 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Circe wrote:
Yeah, it was a bit surprising. I didn't think of the e kit as being lighter....

XT 11 Speed Cassette is 440 g. X01 Cassette is 350. So big weight savings there. I don't know what the XT cranks weighed (my guess is ~600g), new X01 cranks (do we still make explosion jokes about these?) weigh 460. So, another big chunk.

Cables and housing weigh a surprising amount. Pretty stoked to go out for a rip tomorrow. Trying to decide if I go minion/ minion or minion/aggressor on this bike. Oh, and what width. I'm pretty sold on baby fat, e.i. 2.6/2.5 tires. Currently have DD Minion front and rear, but that's park spec. I can get away with EXO in Santa Cruz and save half a pound?

Hey, look at us! On topic.

It's good that AXS isn't adding weight. Still, and e*thirteen cassette is 310 g, e*thirteen cranks of equally questionable strength are 384 g (claimed), and Jagwire XEX-SL housing would save about 60 g. That's about a pound saved. Of course the appeal of AXS goes far beyond weight, just saying it's not winning the weight wars among expensive parts. Impressive that it's even a contender, though.

Re: tires: Also a fan of tires in the 2.6" range, providing the rims are wide enough to support them. If you're concerned whether EXO will survive, consider the new EXO+, which adds an additional layer over the entire casing.

You could not pay me to ride an e13 cassette. I've heard some nightmares about their cranks but I've had good luck. Those XCX cranks you mentioned are rated for gravel, XC, light trail. Seems out of place on a 6" bike...I don't need them, but I do like the look of them Cane Creek titanium cranks.

EXO+ tires would save about 200g compared to DD. Full EXO would shave almost 400g. Maybe EXO front, EXO+ rear? Hmmm. Running Ibis 35mm inner rims.

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 0:01 Quote
Circe wrote:
You could not pay me to ride an e13 cassette. I've heard some nightmares about their cranks but I've had good luck. Those XCX cranks you mentioned are rated for gravel, XC, light trail. Seems out of place on a 6" bike...I don't need them, but I do like the look of them Cane Creek titanium cranks.

EXO+ tires would save about 200g compared to DD. Full EXO would shave almost 400g. Maybe EXO front, EXO+ rear? Hmmm. Running Ibis 35mm inner rims.

I've used several e*thirteen cassettes. The only issue has been the rate of wear of aluminum sprockets, so I purchase a spare with every cassette.

It's true, the XCX are rated for XC. No way of knowing how the strength compares to SRAM's XX. Substitute the 425 g TRS Race, if you like, and maybe that's a more fair comparison. Either way, it doesn't change the point: compared to top-end SRAM equipment, there exist options that cost less, weight less, and have equally questionable durability. (SRAM's cassettes are more durable, but, for the price, you could buy enough e*thirteen parts to last at least as long.)

EXO front and EXO+ rear sounds like a good plan. The Ibis rims will expose the sidewalls of a 2.5" tire. More important than the weight, though, is the reduced rolling resistance, compared to Double Down.

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 1:05 Quote
Circe wrote:
Trying to decide if I go minion/ minion or minion/aggressor on this bike. Oh, and what width. I'm pretty sold on baby fat, e.i. 2.6/2.5 tires. Currently have DD Minion front and rear, but that's park spec. I can get away with EXO in Santa Cruz and save half a pound?

I can give 2c about this since i'm using DHR2 and agressor as rears. Aggressor rolls stupidly fast and has adequate braking grip and side knobs. That being said, that's tire for hardpack and climbing. DHR2 is just plain better for everything else.

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 1:19 Quote
Circe wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
Circe wrote:
Yeah, it was a bit surprising. I didn't think of the e kit as being lighter....

XT 11 Speed Cassette is 440 g. X01 Cassette is 350. So big weight savings there. I don't know what the XT cranks weighed (my guess is ~600g), new X01 cranks (do we still make explosion jokes about these?) weigh 460. So, another big chunk.

Cables and housing weigh a surprising amount. Pretty stoked to go out for a rip tomorrow. Trying to decide if I go minion/ minion or minion/aggressor on this bike. Oh, and what width. I'm pretty sold on baby fat, e.i. 2.6/2.5 tires. Currently have DD Minion front and rear, but that's park spec. I can get away with EXO in Santa Cruz and save half a pound?

Hey, look at us! On topic.

It's good that AXS isn't adding weight. Still, and e*thirteen cassette is 310 g, e*thirteen cranks of equally questionable strength are 384 g (claimed), and Jagwire XEX-SL housing would save about 60 g. That's about a pound saved. Of course the appeal of AXS goes far beyond weight, just saying it's not winning the weight wars among expensive parts. Impressive that it's even a contender, though.

Re: tires: Also a fan of tires in the 2.6" range, providing the rims are wide enough to support them. If you're concerned whether EXO will survive, consider the new EXO+, which adds an additional layer over the entire casing.

You could not pay me to ride an e13 cassette. I've heard some nightmares about their cranks but I've had good luck. Those XCX cranks you mentioned are rated for gravel, XC, light trail. Seems out of place on a 6" bike...I don't need them, but I do like the look of them Cane Creek titanium cranks.

EXO+ tires would save about 200g compared to DD. Full EXO would shave almost 400g. Maybe EXO front, EXO+ rear? Hmmm. Running Ibis 35mm inner rims.

I've had really good luck with E.13 cassettes. We put them on customers' bikes all the time, and I ran their 11-speed 9-44 cassette on my gravel bike for about 6 months before switching to micro drive. No issues so far.

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 6:32 Quote
seraph wrote:
Circe wrote:
R-M-R wrote:


It's good that AXS isn't adding weight. Still, and e*thirteen cassette is 310 g, e*thirteen cranks of equally questionable strength are 384 g (claimed), and Jagwire XEX-SL housing would save about 60 g. That's about a pound saved. Of course the appeal of AXS goes far beyond weight, just saying it's not winning the weight wars among expensive parts. Impressive that it's even a contender, though.

Re: tires: Also a fan of tires in the 2.6" range, providing the rims are wide enough to support them. If you're concerned whether EXO will survive, consider the new EXO+, which adds an additional layer over the entire casing.

You could not pay me to ride an e13 cassette. I've heard some nightmares about their cranks but I've had good luck. Those XCX cranks you mentioned are rated for gravel, XC, light trail. Seems out of place on a 6" bike...I don't need them, but I do like the look of them Cane Creek titanium cranks.

EXO+ tires would save about 200g compared to DD. Full EXO would shave almost 400g. Maybe EXO front, EXO+ rear? Hmmm. Running Ibis 35mm inner rims.

I've had really good luck with E.13 cassettes. We put them on customers' bikes all the time, and I ran their 11-speed 9-44 cassette on my gravel bike for about 6 months before switching to micro drive. No issues so far.

I've been very happy with the wide range 11sp e13 cassettes.

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 8:12 Quote
Circe wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
Circe wrote:
Yeah, it was a bit surprising. I didn't think of the e kit as being lighter....

XT 11 Speed Cassette is 440 g. X01 Cassette is 350. So big weight savings there. I don't know what the XT cranks weighed (my guess is ~600g), new X01 cranks (do we still make explosion jokes about these?) weigh 460. So, another big chunk.

Cables and housing weigh a surprising amount. Pretty stoked to go out for a rip tomorrow. Trying to decide if I go minion/ minion or minion/aggressor on this bike. Oh, and what width. I'm pretty sold on baby fat, e.i. 2.6/2.5 tires. Currently have DD Minion front and rear, but that's park spec. I can get away with EXO in Santa Cruz and save half a pound?

Hey, look at us! On topic.

It's good that AXS isn't adding weight. Still, and e*thirteen cassette is 310 g, e*thirteen cranks of equally questionable strength are 384 g (claimed), and Jagwire XEX-SL housing would save about 60 g. That's about a pound saved. Of course the appeal of AXS goes far beyond weight, just saying it's not winning the weight wars among expensive parts. Impressive that it's even a contender, though.

Re: tires: Also a fan of tires in the 2.6" range, providing the rims are wide enough to support them. If you're concerned whether EXO will survive, consider the new EXO+, which adds an additional layer over the entire casing.

You could not pay me to ride an e13 cassette. I've heard some nightmares about their cranks but I've had good luck. Those XCX cranks you mentioned are rated for gravel, XC, light trail. Seems out of place on a 6" bike...I don't need them, but I do like the look of them Cane Creek titanium cranks.

EXO+ tires would save about 200g compared to DD. Full EXO would shave almost 400g. Maybe EXO front, EXO+ rear? Hmmm. Running Ibis 35mm inner rims.

What’s your issue with e13 cassettes? I’ve had nothing but great experience with the couple I’ve used so far. Great range, shift quality is on par with XT I’ve always used and silent. Good to have more options than the S’s.

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 8:13 Quote
shoshy wrote:
Circe wrote:
Trying to decide if I go minion/ minion or minion/aggressor on this bike. Oh, and what width. I'm pretty sold on baby fat, e.i. 2.6/2.5 tires. Currently have DD Minion front and rear, but that's park spec. I can get away with EXO in Santa Cruz and save half a pound?

I can give 2c about this since i'm using DHR2 and agressor as rears. Aggressor rolls stupidly fast and has adequate braking grip and side knobs. That being said, that's tire for hardpack and climbing. DHR2 is just plain better for everything else.

I use EXO tires in SC. Full disclosure, I had a torn sidewall at Wilder (Zane Grey) once, but since, no such issues out there. Suppose it depends on where you are going and what you are doing mostly. EXO+ is prob the safer bet if you are worried about it.

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 8:21 Quote
I don't like the maxxis 2.6 tires I find the pressure to be too difficult to get right but their 2.5 are spot on and easy to work with. I run just regular exo casing but my local terrain is not very sharp.

I like the aggressor as a rear tire but for all out performance it is lacking a bit in the cornering dept.

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 10:20 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
PHeller wrote:
Ok so is anyone still using ETT to size bikes?

I have the ability to change my order on a new Guerrilla Gravity and the sizing is wacking me out. I previously rode their custom sized Extra Medium and fit like a glove. They told me that the Size 3 would mimic that bike, but on paper, that does not look like the case. The ETT is wayyy shorter, even if the reach is the same.

Without confirming the numbers, just going from what you stated:

You can turn the new geometry into the old geometry, if you want, by sliding your seat back on the rails and/or using an offset seatpost. A short ETT with rearward offset at the post and/or seat rails is the same as long ETT without offset: the only thing that matters is where your hips end up, not what combination of variables put them there.

That said, I vote for you to size up. Get a longer reach and steeper seat tube with a similar ETT. Obviously, I have no idea how you ride, where you ride of how your existing bike fits you; this is just my universal recommendation!

Here's what I'm up against: Google Sheet Comparing Guerrilla Gravity Alloy Smash (Size XM) against Trail Pistol Size 3 Long.

I do run an offset post already though. On my XM Alloy Smash I ran the seat slammed forward and a 50mm stem, and I could have probably comfortable ran a 35mm stem.

Talking with some other folks who did a similar jump (Medium, Large, Extra-Medium to Revved Size 3) they say the new Revved Size 3 Long feels very similar to the XM. Not as big as an old Large, but not as short as old Medium.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.031300
Mobile Version of Website