Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: May 22, 2019 at 12:21 Quote
seraph wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
I would absolutely spend a silly ammount of money on one of those frames if he branded those frames "Suck Bike Co. "

That's a simple decal change tho.

I only want it if it's OG to all this drama and Marino does it on its own..

It's like me and my Yellow retro fox moto kit that looks like Nekos that looks like Kovariks... It's cool, but I am trying way to hard still..

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 12:29 Quote
seraph wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
I would absolutely spend a silly ammount of money on one of those frames if he branded those frames "Suck Bike Co. "

That's a simple decal change tho.

SICK is cnc'd into the chainstay yoke

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 12:41 Quote
PHeller wrote:
as someone else mentioned: Sick Bicycles spent what remaining money they had left on some hackers...

Article link?

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 13:51 Quote
and we're back!

Anyone got a SRAM GX, X9, similar crankset they want to sell cheap? Can be BB30 or GXP.

Need something for a beater and want to keep the garage GXP Direct-Mount chainrings.

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 14:16 Quote
PHeller wrote:
and we're back!

Anyone got a SRAM GX, X9, similar crankset they want to sell cheap? Can be BB30 or GXP.

Need something for a beater and want to keep the garage GXP Direct-Mount chainrings.

I've got a few that need to be Helicoiled if you want. Pay shipping.

Edit: might not be GXP direct mount. But one is Cinch direct mount.

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 14:17 Quote
Looking for the direct mount variants in GXP. Not interested in anything else (because I don't have rings for anything else).

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 14:22 Quote
I have a full XT kit I need to get rid off, now that I've gone AXS. But, that's neither here not there. No selling in forums?

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 14:30 Quote
Direct Mount GXP/SRAM stuff under $50 is pretty challenging. There is a lot of DUB stuff out there, and the Truvativ Descendent line, but those are heavier.

The GX1400 or X9 crankset arms were fairly light for a cheaper crankset - lighter than most every other direct mount option made of metal, and lighter than the M9000 XT crankset.

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 23:14 Quote
Question about Maxxis tires:
I purchased a 29x2.5 Minion DHF for my wife. It was supposed to be DHF 29x2.5 EXO/TR/3CMaxxGrip. It says all those things on the side but also indicates DH casing. It weighs in at 1200g. I thought I purchased the lightest version of the 2.5x29 minion (advertised as 1005g). Did they send me the wrong one?

Thanks.

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 23:38 Quote
reedholden wrote:
Did they send me the wrong one?

Yes.

The weight is less of a concern than the rolling resistance. Various single-casing tires with comparable construction and rubber result in no more than one "gear" of difference (i.e. the sprocket combination that feels appropriate) on a given trail - and heavier tires sometimes roll faster than lighter ones. When I use double-casing DH tires, my gearing is about four lower than normal on fast, flat terrain.

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 23:45 Quote
Does Mavic still use those stupid proprietary spokes? Those died with UST rims? When did UST rims die?

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 23:52 Quote
Circe wrote:
Does Mavic still use those stupid proprietary spokes? Those died with UST rims? When did UST rims die?

Spokes: Mavic is moving away from aluminum spokes. They're still used on several mountain wheels.

UST: The standard became outdated. Few rims and almost no tires fully conform to the standard. Many tires use the bead shape, but that's about it. There's currently an effort to create an ISO standard that should be announced this year.

Posted: May 23, 2019 at 0:02 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
reedholden wrote:

Yes.

The weight is less of a concern than the rolling resistance. Various single-casing tires with comparable construction and rubber result in no more than one "gear" of difference (i.e. the sprocket combination that feels appropriate) on a given trail - and heavier tires sometimes roll faster than lighter ones. When I use double-casing DH tires, my gearing is about four lower than normal on fast, flat terrain.

I like your idea of rating rolling resistance by gear difference.

Posted: May 23, 2019 at 0:19 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Circe wrote:

Spokes: Mavic is moving away from aluminum spokes. They're still used on several mountain wheels.

UST: The standard became outdated. Few rims and almost no tires fully conform to the standard. Many tires use the bead shape, but that's about it. There's currently an effort to create an ISO standard that should be announced this year.

UST bead shape FTW. Stan’s hack not needed.

Posted: May 23, 2019 at 0:33 Quote
riish wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
reedholden wrote:

Yes.

I like your idea of rating rolling resistance by gear difference.

It's not the best method, but it's more familiar than stating the difference in watts.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.036325
Mobile Version of Website