Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 9:33 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Has anyone ever seen a single pivot (without linkage) with a shock mounted below the top tube, vs the common flat shock mounted to DT?

Santa Cruz Superlight?

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 9:38 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Has anyone ever seen a single pivot (without linkage) with a shock mounted below the top tube, vs the common flat shock mounted to DT?
like a first gen heckler/tasmon?

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 9:39 Quote
PHeller wrote:

How about between the ... "top" tubes?

To address your question from a theoretical perspective:

Without an idler, the main pivot has to be located in a small range to have sensible anti-squat. The top tube is a long way from that point, so the leverage ratio would be extremely low. This would require completely different shock internals to have acceptable damping - a simple re-shim probably won't suffice - and either the shock would be enormous to have sufficient stroke or the bike would have modest travel.

Another problem is the leverage will have a falling rate if the shock is not angled down at the front. To get a progressive rate, the front shock mount would hang quite low off the top tube ... essentially on the down-tube. A linear or falling rate could be countered by an air shock with a position-sensitive damper, so it's not insurmountable.

... or you could just use a fork leg.

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 9:42 Quote
Yeah, a lot of the original single pivot Santa Cruz bikes had shocks mounted under the top tube.

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 10:08 Quote
I always forget about the Superlight. That's probably the most modern iteration of what I'm looking for.

I dunno, I always get this idea to have Marino build a modern Superlight. Short travel, clearance for 29x2.6, modern geo, open triangle for a frame bag. Why? Such a bike could be folded smaller than a hardtail for travel. Low leverage ratio might be nice for bikepacking. I dunno, just dreamin and schemin.

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 10:40 Quote
A lot of the early 2000's Rocky Mountain full suspension bikes were linkage drive single pivot with the shock mounted to the top tube

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 10:57 Quote

I don't have this rear tire on it anymore, but still viable with a few updates, but I keep it now for nostalgia.

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 13:04 Quote
Not to mention all the companies that jumped on the design after SC went VPP.

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 18:04 Quote
MikeAzBS wrote:
Not to mention all the companies that jumped on the design after SC went VPP.

Ha! Just picked up a new Hightower LT. I wish SC would have updated the single pivot design like some other companies are doing. I probably would have gone that way. Always loved the simplicity in design.

Nice oldie BTW.

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 2:55 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Morewood Ndiza, Ndiza ST, Shova too iirc

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 10:30 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Club Roost xc4

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 10:44 Quote
A lot of the Chinese off-the-shelf bikes have been in that setup as well. I think maybe some Motobacons too.

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 12:14 Quote
Isn't Orange bikes using a similar single pivot design?

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 12:15 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Isn't Orange bikes using a similar single pivot design?

They usually attach the shock to the downtube, not the top tube.

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 12:51 Quote
lol, ok forgot that you guys were talking directly to that point and not the single pivot design as a whole.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.029223
Mobile Version of Website