Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 19:55 Quote
My old 2000 Bullit. I think im going to build it up for my grand son when I get some spare parts.

Speaking about old single pivot bikes, I’m thinking about building up my old Bullit for my grandson, but that’s along time away, so maybe an urban play bike or something until then.

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 10:00 Quote
Ok - another topic:

I have the opportunity to switch out my order for a 120 (or 130)mm trail bike for a 145mm sled. I could also short stroke the 145mm bike down to 140mm.

I could build them virtually the same weight.

The 145mm has 10mm longer chainstays. Otherwise geometry can be made nearly identical.

For those of you on shorter travel bikes, when do you miss the longer travel option? I feel like for 90% of my riding, I have no need for a longer travel bike. Especially since I'm planning on running a coil (at 130mm travel) on the shorter travel bike.

A guy a follow on the gram who rides daily and was thinking of giving up his bike due to back problems has noticed an incredible improvement riding a longer travel bike over his previous 135mm bike (he went Hightower to Carbine).

Thoughts?

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 10:13 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Ok - another topic:

I have the opportunity to switch out my order for a 120 (or 130)mm trail bike for a 145mm sled. I could also short stroke the 145mm bike down to 140mm.

The 145mm has 10mm longer chainstays. Otherwise geometry can be made nearly identical.

For those of you on shorter travel bikes, when do you miss the longer travel option? I feel like for 90% of my riding, I have no need for a longer travel bike. Especially since I'm planning on running a coil (at 130mm travel) on the shorter travel bike.

A guy a follow on the gram who rides daily and was thinking of giving up his bike due to back problems has noticed an incredible improvement riding a longer travel bike over his previous 135mm bike (he went Hightower to Carbine).

Thoughts?

There's only one network here that I consistently ride where I feel undergunned (Harper Mtn), but that's essentially a full on shuttle/DH area. Super fast and super rough. I can still hang on my 130/115mm Trance, but it f*cking hurts. I do keep eyeing up a bigger bike for Harper and Sun Peaks Bike Park, but can't make the argument for buying a 2nd bike when my Trance is so perfect for everything here and realistically I'd only ride the bigger bike for maybe 20 days a year.

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 10:29 Quote
Speaking of, the question of overbike vs underbike comes to mind. My next two frame options are looking at either 130/120 F/R or 150/140 F/R. Not sure what I'm leaning more towards right now. Definitely bottom my bike here and there, but it's already at a pretty idea travel for the area at 140/135.

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 10:34 Quote
wrote:

Thoughts?

Obviously were not talking optimized setups for efficiency but I’ve got some anecdotal experience. I spent the majority of my life skateboarding and my knees and ankles are not in good shape. I feel 100% that a mid/long travel bike adds to my comfort and ability to ride longer and rougher trails. I can only ride my hardtail for a couple of hours before the aches and pains show up. My 150mm bike keeps my knees and ankles pain free in comparison.

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 10:43 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
PHeller wrote:
Ok - another topic:

Thoughts?

There's only one network here that I consistently ride where I feel undergunned (Harper Mtn), but that's essentially a full on shuttle/DH area. Super fast and super rough. I can still hang on my 130/115mm Trance, but it f*cking hurts. I do keep eyeing up a bigger bike for Harper and Sun Peaks Bike Park, but can't make the argument for buying a 2nd bike when my Trance is so perfect for everything here and realistically I'd only ride the bigger bike for maybe 20 days a year.

Going through this same delema... At our local resort, I have more fun on a 160mm 29 Enduro bike than my DH bike. But I do ride Silver weekly, so probably 25-35 days of big descents a summer.

But litterally everywhere I ride, my Hardtail or a short travel 120/130mm FS would be just fine.

So do I buy a big enduro bike just for park riding and then HT it everywhere else or buy a Stumpy Evo to try and split the difference between park bike and trail bike? Hard to decide..

The more I play on 27.5 wheels on the DH bike and our Shops Stumpy Evo test bike, the more I realize that I won't be happy on anything but 29" moving forward.

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 10:55 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Ok - another topic:

Thoughts?

Well i just got rid of my v1 solo/5010 135mm with longer stroke shock and stripped down my Tracer 275a 160mm to
build up a new Knolly Delirium 170. Planning to have this as my do all bike with an X2 /DVO Diamond 170/170 for trail and longer stroke coil shock giving it 185mm with a dc fork 190-200mm for park days.

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 11:52 Quote
Really area/trail dependent. I have two trail systems where I live and one is fairly fast/flowy and the other is more chunky/fast. If I mainly road in the fast flowy area I would lean to less bike but I ride them equally so I put up with being slightly overbiked for my own comfort and bike longevity.

I use full travel and still get worked riding fast in the chunky area on my Warden.

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 12:19 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Speaking of, the question of overbike vs underbike comes to mind. My next two frame options are looking at either 130/120 F/R or 150/140 F/R. Not sure what I'm leaning more towards right now. Definitely bottom my bike here and there, but it's already at a pretty idea travel for the area at 140/135.

I went from a 5010 (130 back, 140 front) to a Stumpjumper (140 back, 150 front) and I like the extra 10mm travel on both ends. The bigger wheels and tires were also welcome. (27.5x2.35 vs 29x2.6).

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 13:05 Quote
Anyone actually had time on the new MRP Bartlett and Hazard with a progressive spring setup?

I have my carbon Euduro 29 frame that has a crack in the BB area.. Considering having Ruckus fix it and then buying that MRP suspension setup and making a dedicated park bike out of it.

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 14:02 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Ok - another topic:

Thoughts?

I just moved from a 2018 Tallboy to a 2019 HT LT. I don't miss the TB at all except for a couple flowy no elevation change trails. As soon as it turns downhill, I appreciate the extra give the LT gives me. I can comfortably push or go just as fast without feeling quite on the edge. Reminds me more of my moto days. At 50, I appreciate a little more give for my back and knees. I don't feel like I lost much pedaling efficiency, but gained a lot of performance for the downs. As efficient as these longer travel bikes are getting, we are not having to give up much, or settle in one area or another.

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 14:24 Quote
Does anyone know what the weight is on the Giant AM 27.5 30mm ID rims?

I'm planning on getting new hubs (Race Face Vault) with more engagement in the rear, and may upgrade to lighter rims in the process, but if I can't find anything lighter in my price range I may just rebuild with the stock rims. I just need to know how much those rims weigh before I can look for lighter ones. I want to build up my own rims as a fun project which is why I'm not buying a whole wheelset.

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 14:33 Quote
Furthermore, if all things are equal, what advantage is there to running a bike with less travel?

I mean, if I can run the 145mm bike at 140 with a 140mm fork, is it really that much different from a 130/140mm bike?

A shorter travel bike will have a more rapid progression of its LR, but in terms of efficiency you can run a longer travel bike at less sag for the same effect.

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 15:24 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Furthermore, if all things are equal, what advantage is there to running a bike with less travel?

I mean, if I can run the 145mm bike at 140 with a 140mm fork, is it really that much different from a 130/140mm bike?

A shorter travel bike will have a more rapid progression of its LR, but in terms of efficiency you can run a longer travel bike at less sag for the same effect.

You can also run a short travel bike with more sag to make it similar progression to a longer travel bike. Doesn't mean you should.

As someone else mentioned previously, it's pretty dependent on where you live. I find the shorter travel ideal for here as terrain is super fast with lots of pedaling, so it's beneficial to be on something more progressive.

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 15:28 Quote
PHeller wrote:

That is where I am. I was tuning the TB to be more compliant and this one to be a little more stiff. I always ride with the shock in the middle position, so I like a firmer setting to start, but I still use the travel thru the ride. I was also running less air pressure and realized that the harder I rode, I needed to run more pressure, but then got too stiff. The 150/150 HTLT is allowing me to run higher pressures and still have compliance.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.027310
Mobile Version of Website