Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 13:53 Quote
B650wagon wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:
B650wagon wrote:
before switching to coil for better small bump chatter performance...consider going to Cushcore first.

Tried some other inserts and....meh. An extra pounds of rolling weight per wheel is very noticeable. My last flat was a could years when I completely sheared a side knob on an already worn tire. The dampening is noticable though.

Definitely worth it in a gravity bike, still not sold on a trail bike.

Try actual Cushcore, others aren't the same. Weight isn't an issue with lighter tires, I run Snakeskin Magic Mary and Hans Dampf 2 with Cushcore, weighs about the same as Supergravity, Double Down, WTB...

Check out this (independent lab) test:
https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-release/Shootout-Tire-Inserts-Tested-by-Independent-Lab,2899

Cush core folks.... It's cool but an actual dh casing tire is more robust for racing or thrashing on trail rides... If you're looking for small bump on the fork...

Have you ever done a lower service and air spring service? damper service? Thats way cheaper than buying shiny kool bits. I service fork lowers often and it feels f*cking smooth eh. 4 times a year usually on the main bike in the fleet...

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 14:02 Quote
I'd still go Supergravity/Double Down... with Cushcore before DH casing. Many racers do the same and a bunch of pro DH racers win on DH casing with Cushcore.

I'm sure many will be racing with Cushcore regardless of sponsorship, no Sharpie needed.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 14:17 Quote
OneBanana wrote:
sherbet wrote:
OneBanana wrote:
In the UK the contract of sale is between the consumer and the retailer, and thus it is the retailer that is responsible for addressing any faults.

That is insane levels of fucked up. The shop literally has no power when it comes to warranty. Not disputing the law, just awestruck if this actually is the case.
Ha, I was just thinking the exact same thing about the situation on your side of the Atlantic - seems weird that it's decided by a business who wasn't a party with direct involvement in the original contract of sale lol

It’s not quite as clear cut as all this here in the U.K. so your contract in the U.K. is with the shop or sales agent, however your warranty is not held by them. It’s with the manufacturer, so basically your stator rights under the sales of good act is held with the shop, but a warranty claim is owned and underwritten by the OEM. Basically the shop will have to sell something that’s fit for purpose, however the warranty say so is with the OEM with the shop acting as their agent or dealer.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 15:18 Quote
nubbs wrote:
B650wagon wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:

Tried some other inserts and....meh. An extra pounds of rolling weight per wheel is very noticeable. My last flat was a could years when I completely sheared a side knob on an already worn tire. The dampening is noticable though.

Definitely worth it in a gravity bike, still not sold on a trail bike.

Try actual Cushcore, others aren't the same. Weight isn't an issue with lighter tires, I run Snakeskin Magic Mary and Hans Dampf 2 with Cushcore, weighs about the same as Supergravity, Double Down, WTB...

Check out this (independent lab) test:
https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-release/Shootout-Tire-Inserts-Tested-by-Independent-Lab,2899

Cush core folks.... It's cool but an actual dh casing tire is more robust for racing or thrashing on trail rides... If you're looking for small bump on the fork...

Have you ever done a lower service and air spring service? damper service? Thats way cheaper than buying shiny kool bits. I service fork lowers often and it feels f*cking smooth eh. 4 times a year usually on the main bike in the fleet...

I service the lowers a few times a year and have the damper bled once a year. I'm not after comfort, I'm after more front end grip and better tracking.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 15:57 Quote
Hightower sold. Gunna miss that one, rode soooooo well.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 16:13 Quote
Whatre ya moving on to?

Or shall I say, what are the EeeEeEeeEwings moving to?

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 16:43 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Whatre ya moving on to?

Or shall I say, what are the EeeEeEeeEwings moving to?

NDA. Sorry.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 16:53 Quote
Testing the new We Are One bike ?

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 16:53 Quote
Uhhhh, nope. You've piqued my interest though.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 16:56 Quote
Common sense logic says it's in the works. All I know.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 16:59 Quote
All I can say is that there were spy shots on MTBR and they have been taken down. That's more than enough of a hint for a few of you.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 9:57 Quote
sherbet wrote:
All I can say is that there were spy shots on MTBR and they have been taken down. That's more than enough of a hint for a few of you.

Yeah babe, she's gonna be a real treat!

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 10:07 Quote
Yeah yeah, we all know. New hightower is coming out. Lower link style. From MTBR, Sounds like they may go 150mm front, up from 140mm. Frame price goes upto $3,299. That's the Trump Tarriff in action. They own a factory in China.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 10:23 Quote
Yowza.

It'll be interesting to see if Santa Cruz can dial down the weight a bit, especially on a Tallboy V2. You'd hope if the Megatower is 33-31lbs, the Hightower should be 31-29, and the Tallboy 27-25.

The new suspension coupled with a lighter bike might win people over who gasp at that $3300 frame only pricetag. Then again, a Ripley V4 is $2800.

I hear good things about Santa Cruz's new lower link design. "Peak VPP" as they call it, haha. How long before Intense tries something similar?

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 10:27 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Yowza.

It'll be interesting to see if Santa Cruz can dial down the weight a bit, especially on a Tallboy V2. You'd hope if the Megatower is 33-31lbs, the Hightower should be 31-29, and the Tallboy 27-25.

The new suspension coupled with a lighter bike might win people over who gasp at that $3300 frame only pricetag. Then again, a Ripley V4 is $2800.

I hear good things about Santa Cruz's new lower link design. "Peak VPP" as they call it, haha. How long before Intense tries something similar?

Frame weights aren't going to come down with current manufacturing and layup methods. Across the board, most have gone up and you're seeing less and less failures every year. Trail/enduro bikes are stronger than ever, and having broken more frames than not under my ownership, I'll take an extra pound of frame weight over thin walls and fragile links.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.030779
Mobile Version of Website