Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 13:18 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Shimano has a bitchin warranty though. I warrantied two SLX levers and a Zee Caliper, got two XT levers and a Saint caliper.

Yeah no, their warranty is ass. "oh they rode that so it may not be a defect." Have had nothing but problems.

Sram has been almost no questions asked on almost everything.

I'm not stating everyone out there has had issues with Shimano, but I will say I see as many Shimano brakes needing to be serviced/warrantied as I do Sram, yet Guides and Levels seem to have a vastly worse reputation regardless of that. I dislike both company's brakes, so no bias, just annoyance with rhetoric.

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 13:22 Quote
sherbet wrote:
PHeller wrote:
Shimano has a bitchin warranty though. I warrantied two SLX levers and a Zee Caliper, got two XT levers and a Saint caliper.

Yeah no, their warranty is ass. "oh they rode that so it may not be a defect." Have had nothing but problems.

Sram has been almost no questions asked on almost everything.

I'm not stating everyone out there has had issues with Shimano, but I will say I see as many Shimano brakes needing to be serviced/warrantied as I do Sram, yet Guides and Levels seem to have a vastly worse reputation regardless of that. I dislike both company's brakes, so no bias, just annoyance with rhetoric.
When I left the shop I warrantied about 3 Shimano brakes for every 1 sram brake (we sold more sram equipped bikes and this was in the middle of sticky lever hell). Almost every Shimano claim was denied (this includes several brakes that where f*cked out of the box) where as every sram claim was approved regardless of what caused the failure. f*ck Shimano.

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 13:24 Quote
I'm starting to get the feeling front page gets a lot of shills, and it's changing the conversations. The amount of users you see that comment literally only on Shimano/Sram releases, no photos of their bikes, no details on where they live, nothing ever sold, just hate on Sram. Honestly starting to make me wonder.

I will never claim to be anything more than a shop tech in these conversations, but we see so damned many Shimano issues, but all people on front page talk about is Sram issues. There is some shit going on here.

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 13:59 Quote
sherbet wrote:
I'm starting to get the feeling front page gets a lot of shills, and it's changing the conversations. The amount of users you see that comment literally only on Shimano/Sram releases, no photos of their bikes, no details on where they live, nothing ever sold, just hate on Sram. Honestly starting to make me wonder.

I will never claim to be anything more than a shop tech in these conversations, but we see so damned many Shimano issues, but all people on front page talk about is Sram issues. There is some shit going on here.

I have a theory for that T,

Shimano is a household name for non-cyclists and sram is not. People who are new to the sport know shimano is good they do not know shit about sram, this is important for my next point.

Imagine this, you've been riding for a couple of years your first bike an entry level hard tail like a trek X-cal or the like. Your bike came equipped with the least expensive shimano brake available and a deore/slx type drivetrain. You've ridden the thing for 3 or so years and you are ready to buy your first full suspension MTB and you want to try this 1x drivetrain stuff. You go back to the shop you purchased your first bike from and you find that ALL your options have a sram drivetrain, after the sales guy spends hours assuring you that the sram stuff is good you decide to pull the trigger. You don't like the more mechanical feel of the 12 speed sram compared to your 9/10 speed shimano but its livable, a few months go by and on a hot summer day the brakes that you already don't like (because you don't know what modulation is) stop returning ruining your ride. You go to the internet and vent your frustration not knowing that the current iteration of shimano products are WORSE then what you just experienced.

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 14:56 Quote
What have I gotten myself into
Wining the weight game

Wining the weight game. lol

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 15:44 Quote
I haven't had many issues with my Shimano parts in the past but I also had many issue with my Sram stuff either so. My only gripe with the SLX Pulley wheels not seeming to stand up overtime and developing a bit of play so shifting off the 46th tooth can be delayed.

My Codes and my DB5's have been pretty much maintenance free other than pads and brake fluid.

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 15:59 Quote
I won't touch brakes from either company. I'm fine with either drivetrain.

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 16:38 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
sherbet wrote:

I have a theory for that T,

Shimano is a household name for non-cyclists and sram is not. People who are new to the sport know shimano is good they do not know shit about sram, this is important for my next point.

Imagine this, you've been riding for a couple of years your first bike an entry level hard tail like a trek X-cal or the like. Your bike came equipped with the least expensive shimano brake available and a deore/slx type drivetrain. You've ridden the thing for 3 or so years and you are ready to buy your first full suspension MTB and you want to try this 1x drivetrain stuff. You go back to the shop you purchased your first bike from and you find that ALL your options have a sram drivetrain, after the sales guy spends hours assuring you that the sram stuff is good you decide to pull the trigger. You don't like the more mechanical feel of the 12 speed sram compared to your 9/10 speed shimano but its livable, a few months go by and on a hot summer day the brakes that you already don't like (because you don't know what modulation is) stop returning ruining your ride. You go to the internet and vent your frustration not knowing that the current iteration of shimano products are WORSE then what you just experienced.

Another issue is due to sales volume. SRAM has been huge, lately, but Shimano still has a massive market share, especially at the lower end of the price range. Even if Shimano has a lower failure rate, there may be a greater number of failures, thus a greater number of people citing their experiences with Shimano failures.

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 16:41 Quote
rtclark wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Third party for brakes.

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 16:43 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Another issue is due to sales volume. SRAM has been huge, lately, but Shimano still has a massive market share, especially at the lower end of the price range. Even if Shimano has a lower failure rate, there may be a greater number of failures, thus a greater number of people citing their experiences with Shimano failures.

At the 2k+ pricepoints, our shop at the very least has vastly more Sram on the floor than Shimano. Probably 3 times as many.

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 17:11 Quote
sherbet wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

At the 2k+ pricepoints, our shop at the very least has vastly more Sram on the floor than Shimano. Probably 3 times as many.

That's changed considerably in the past few years.

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 17:21 Quote
Experiences differ, but I've had so many SRAM warranties over the years I just don't even bother. Their warranty process is quicker, but that's no good when you've had to walk out again.

When I worked wrenching for road, mtb and cx pro teams we did everything we could to avoid SRAM (to the point I turned down contracts with teams riding SRAM if there was a Shimano or Campagnolo offer). The sheer number of 'running changes' made to sram stuff as issues appear meant I would rebuild bikes multiple times a season to replace levers, cranks, etc.

I'm on the new XTR now and it's so much better than the Eagle I've ridden and owned I can't wait to see XT /SLX dominate.

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 22:08 Quote
sherbet wrote:
rtclark wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Third party for brakes.

My G2 RSCs have been great. Probably going to stick with either Codes or G2s on all future bikes. And like you said, SRAM's warranty process is bitchin'. For me it's usually "oh, you've got a messed up ____? Cool, sending a new one now." No guff, no complaining. Hell, my co-worker went to warranty his 1st-gen eTap derailleur and they were like "you wanna just send back both front and rear and we'll replace them anyway?"

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 23:45 Quote
sherbet wrote:

SRAM sucks.

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 0:08 Quote
Axxe wrote:
SRAM sucks.

Lol, grom

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.040248
Mobile Version of Website