Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 0:26 Quote
I wonder what percent of the total market is GX. Seems like the best bang for your buck. The new XT looks rad and I think it could steal some market share from SRAM.

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 1:14 Quote
I've had pretty much only Shimano stuff for brakes/drivetrain (all Saint and 10speed) the last few years, but after hearing how many issues my mates have had with 11 speed Shimano , I'll probably be going for Hope brakes and GX when it's time to buy new stuff. Unless 12-speed XT turns out to be something really special...

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 1:49 Quote
iggzdaloc wrote:
Axxe wrote:
SRAM sucks.
Lol, grom

:/

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 2:01 Quote
I will reserve critical judgement on any new Shimano 12-speed drivetrain until I have a chance to play with it in person. So far though, it seems like that may not come any time soon, as almost all new 2020 Specialized bikes are coming with SRAM drivetrains (for 12-speed anyway), and the same seems to go for Santa Cruz.

O+
Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 2:16 Quote
Circe wrote:
I wonder what percent of the total market is GX. Seems like the best bang for your buck. The new XT looks rad and I think it could steal some market share from SRAM.

The number of GX derailleurs replaced for warranty is probably 2-3 times the nimber of GX derailleurs ever sold. It's ridiculous. They basically just shit themselves spontaneously at the sight of heavy mud or any other stress. They don't even require OEM's to do warranty processes, they just send out huge boxes of them for them to use.

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 7:46 Quote
heinous wrote:
Circe wrote:

The number of GX derailleurs replaced for warranty is probably 2-3 times the nimber of GX derailleurs ever sold. It's ridiculous. They basically just shit themselves spontaneously at the sight of heavy mud or any other stress. They don't even require OEM's to do warranty processes, they just send out huge boxes of them for them to use.

No

O+
Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 8:54 Quote
heinous wrote:
Circe wrote:

ive only blown up one gx derailleur and it was literally smashed into a rock

O+
Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 9:42 Quote
seraph wrote:
I will reserve critical judgement on any new Shimano 12-speed drivetrain until I have a chance to play with it in person. So far though, it seems like that may not come any time soon, as almost all new 2020 Specialized bikes are coming with SRAM drivetrains (for 12-speed anyway), and the same seems to go for Santa Cruz.

Both the 12sp xtr n xt shift good. Done a few builds so far.. the shifting under load is pretty freaking rad. The new chain for it has crazy a symetrical plate shapes on it for that system. Probably wears out super fast like their 11 speed xtr still...

I've definitely been impressed with it. However. No one is going to do full oem Shimano with their cute microspline shit. Their wheels are lame sauce. Shimano needs to not be a bunch of bitches and let everyone use it. Chris King has freehubs designed and running already I'm sure among others.Shimano won't let them sell em. Silly Japanese... And they are also behind on the di2 12 speed! Jeepers.

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 9:45 Quote
nubbs wrote:
seraph wrote:

Both the 12sp xtr n xt shift good. Done a few builds so far.. the shifting under load is pretty freaking rad. The new chain for it has crazy a symetrical plate shapes on it for that system. Probably wears out super fast like their 11 speed xtr still...

I've definitely been impressed with it. However. No one is going to do full oem Shimano with their cute microspline shit. Their wheels are lame sauce. Shimano needs to not be a bunch of bitches and let everyone use it. Chris King has freehubs designed and running already I'm sure among others.Shimano won't let them sell em. Silly Japanese... And they are also behind on the di2 12 speed! Jeepers.

This really makes no sense on Shimanos part. I'd be keen to try it but I'm not swapping hubs for it and I'm sure that's the case for most people.

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 9:58 Quote
I don't know if its our regional biases or personal biases shining through, but if I were to listen to this thread, I wouldn't buy anything. Everything sucks.

O+
Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 10:18 Quote
Circe wrote:
I don't know if its our regional biases or personal biases shining through, but if I were to listen to this thread, I wouldn't buy anything. Everything sucks.

I will still buy an e bike though! #Boschboi #Turboerrdayallday

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 11:10 Quote
I honestly think that elevation and humidity play a huge role in how long the shimano brake levers last before getting the dreaded changing bite point and leaky levers.

Back home on the east coast where it’s pretty humid I had great luck with shimanos and would never think of running a sram brake, now that I basically live in a high alpine desert around 6000 feet is the base of our trails, shimanos last maybe a couple weeks before having issues.

I still hate bleeding srams though so I choose third party brakes, right now trps, but I want to try the new hayes brake next.

O+
Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 11:25 Quote
theweaz wrote:
I honestly think that elevation and humidity play a huge role in how long the shimano brake levers last before getting the dreaded changing bite point and leaky levers.

Back home on the east coast where it’s pretty humid I had great luck with shimanos and would never think of running a sram brake, now that I basically live in a high alpine desert around 6000 feet is the base of our trails, shimanos last maybe a couple weeks before having issues.

I still hate bleeding srams though so I choose third party brakes, right now trps, but I want to try the new hayes brake next.

how do trp feel compared to shimano tho? i heard they were kinda spongey and definitely not as powerful

Im thinking that im gonna take my current hightower build and put it on my megatower frame, and build the hightower with a trust fork when i can afford one, hence the new brakes and other parts

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 12:57 Quote
Circe wrote:
I'm consistently amazed by how much better everything is than say ten or so years ago, yet everybody constantly bitches about how shitty everything is. I honestly have a pretty tough time hating any equipment these days and most failures I see come down to user errors wrecking shit.

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 13:08 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Circe wrote:
I'm consistently amazed by how much better everything is than say ten or so years ago, yet everybody constantly bitches about how shitty everything is. I honestly have a pretty tough time hating any equipment these days and most failures I see come down to user errors wrecking shit.

THIS!!!!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.073767
Mobile Version of Website