Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 14:02 Quote
Is the summer camp in Surrey, perchance? Razz

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 15:04 Quote
OneBanana wrote:
Is the summer camp in Surrey, perchance? Razz

It's in Oxford and the students are from all over the world.

Got that Surrey vibe tho

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 17:17 Quote
rtclark wrote:
Race face vault

Talk about heavy. The Vault is about 50g heavier than the 350 I'm currently running.

Maybe I'll do Hydras on Reserve 30s...

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 20:00 Quote
seraph wrote:
rtclark wrote:
Race face vault

Talk about heavy. The Vault is about 50g heavier than the 350 I'm currently running.

Why not a 240?

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 20:17 Quote
seraph wrote:
rtclark wrote:
Race face vault

Sorry was not responding to your question. Someone else asked about a hub with big flanges...

To answer yours though. I have a set of onyx laced to ex511s and have noticed no float in the engagement that others have mentioned. Amazing hubs, but wheelset is around 2200g. Though I am about to lace some i9 hydras to reserve rims, was also looking for a weight conscience wheelset. estimtating 1630g when finished.

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 21:31 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
Despite pining after hopes hubs for years I'm now sick of loud hubs. Any quiet options that aren't too expensive? Wider flanges would be nice too.

After riding chainless a little I'm actually blown away by how much better the bike feels. Take your mech, cassette and chain off and do a couple of runs. Half a kilo off unsprung weight makes everything so smooth, quiet and it's so easy to pick up the back wheel and put it where you want. Maybe a low engagement hub would help in this respect? Really really want to try a gearbox bike with all the weight round the BB and away from the axle.

Agree with you on all points.

Loud vs. quiet: Quiet all the way. Love the silence on the climbs and the dull impacts of tires on trail when descending.

Unsprung mass: The effect is real. Hubs don't contribute a lot, by themselves, but the difference between a heavy rear wheel (including all attached components) and a super light one (especially without cassette and derailleur) can be a couple of kilograms.

Engagement: First, I have to say I think the effects of pedal kickback on suspension performance are minimal, especially when descending. Whether you agree or not, these effects can be nearly eliminated when descending with a low engagement hub. It really is that simple. I can get into some math (filled with dodgy assumptions) if anyone wants. Better yet, low engagement hubs tend to be more robust, especially when we're talking about axial drivers (DT style).

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 21:39 Quote
DT 240 still holds the crown in my book. Engagement is overrated

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 22:11 Quote
There's probably going to be an update to the 240 sooner than later since the star ratchet patent expired and they updated the 180 this year.

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 23:16 Quote
seraph wrote:
rtclark wrote:
Race face vault

That's what I've been running a bit. They are rather awesome! Love the easy end cap removal for freehub lube job.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 2:20 Quote
iggzdaloc wrote:
With the 54t upgrade there is more then enough engagement

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 6:33 Quote
bicyclerider wrote:
OneBanana wrote:
I forgot about them - think the Piccola is Trickstuff's weight weenie model at a claimed 158g each end.
But they cost €850/set Eek

And unfortunately they're pretty much impossible to get hold of at the moment. I think they're dropping an updated version soon, but it'll probably be quite long until you can get a set.
However, they're by far the best lightweight option out there with more power than some competitors 4-pot brakes. Direttissima's and Maxima's are quite heavy but you could almost put them on a motorcycle.

While not as good as Trickstuff I gotta say I'm still quite happy with the latest version of the XTR Race, especially the way stiffer lever feel thanks to the new design.

Sounds like I should save my pennies and wait then. Thanks for the input gents.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 9:10 Quote
iggzdaloc wrote:

THIS! DT don't need much tlc, and run for decades.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 10:58 Quote
I have a hard time every time I need to build a set of wheels.. I want something fancy, but I have 3 sets of DT350 hubs with 54t ratchets in them.. And pretty much every time I need to build a set of wheels, one of my other wheel sets is ready to be torn apart..

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 11:03 Quote
lifted-d wrote:
iggzdaloc wrote:

THIS! DT don't need much tlc, and run for decades.

Agreed.....No reason for exotic

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 11:57 Quote
dchill wrote:
iggzdaloc wrote:
With the 54t upgrade there is more then enough engagement

My 350 came stock with the 54t ratchets. Not sure I could go back to anything less.

I would 240 but I have them on my road bike and I kinda want to try something different. So far historically I've had 240s, 350s, King, I9 Torch, SRAM 900, E.13 TRSr, Hope Pro 3, Project 321, and Tune. Maybe I'll check out the X0 hubs while they're still available.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024412
Mobile Version of Website