Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 22:40 Quote
Here is one that's going to polarize... Speaking of big huge bikes...

I am going to sell my 2018 Enduro 29 and my next bike is probably going to be a Specialized Knevo...

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 22:45 Quote
swan3609 wrote:

I am going to sell my 2018 Enduro 29 and my next bike is probably going to be a Specialized Knevo...
Do it, ebikes are super fun, you get the same work out and cover 2x as much ground. They're also great for older dudes who can make a bike move but don't have the endurance to climb all day anymore...

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 22:52 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

Do it, ebikes are super fun, you get the same work out and cover 2x as much ground. They're also great for older dudes who can make a bike move but don't have the endurance to climb all day anymore...

We have a few Levo test bikes at the shop and I have a few hundred miles on them.. They are a hoot.. Our trails are all moto trails around here and so access is not an issue.. But there are some awesome backcountry descents that would be 8k+ and 30+ mile days. I could death March a trail bike that far with a few XC buddies, but the ability for my dad to come out and do that with me would be awesome..

It's really just keeping me from buying a KTM for 1 more year.. Haha

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 23:02 Quote
I would say "do it" but we've had almost every single Levo that we've sold come back with some sort of motor-based issue. From new wiring harnesses to straight up motor replacements. In one scenario they didn't have a new motor so they got the customer a new bike. I won't be jumping on the e-bike bandwagon until long after they've sorted out all the core issues with their designs.

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 23:07 Quote
seraph wrote:
I would say "do it" but we've had almost every single Levo that we've sold come back with some sort of motor-based issue. From new wiring harnesses to straight up motor replacements. In one scenario they didn't have a new motor so they got the customer a new bike. I won't be jumping on the e-bike bandwagon until long after they've sorted out all the core issues with their designs.

I'd say we are at about 50% return rate right now.. Seems like batteries are dieing like mad. Being a shop homeboy, I am fine jumping on the bandwagon because I know I'll be flipping it in the next year, or whenever the battery and motor warranty are up.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 1:38 Quote
Circe wrote:
I rode a new Ripley, which is a short travel trail bike with modern geo....about died. That whole category of bike lets you get going stupid fast and then suddenly, you're in over your head with no margin of squish. Still fun AF.

That's the concern, which is why I'm thinking it's best to keep the travel to a minimum to avoid the isolation provided by more travel, which tempts you get rowdier than the geometry is ready to handle. Trying to find the right balance between modern geometry and travel.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 1:39 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
I feel the multi use thing swan. There's two large trail networks in my area, the one is mostly dh trails but with the Advent of Enduro bikes one of the downs had become a primary climb to for accessing one side of the mountain, it's now impossible to open up on that thing...

Yeah, but who really wants to descend Family Guy, anyway? Wink

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 3:55 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Circe wrote:
I rode a new Ripley, which is a short travel trail bike with modern geo....about died. That whole category of bike lets you get going stupid fast and then suddenly, you're in over your head with no margin of squish. Still fun AF.

That's the concern, which is why I'm thinking it's best to keep the travel to a minimum to avoid the isolation provided by more travel, which tempts you get rowdier than the geometry is ready to handle. Trying to find the right balance between modern geometry and travel.

Think skillset also needs mentioning here right?

Hugely overlooked on the whole - just chucking it into the mix. I know you all know, but for those who don't, it's the only wise thing I got to offer

I for one like less travel, but my skills are not up to the job as yet. Looking at buying a current geometry full-suss: max 150 front, 130/140 rear. Hidden behind 160 too long, scary isn't fun when your almost 49 lol

Any frame only options?

Evil .. Ibis .. ?? Anything else?

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 4:43 Quote
Soupherb wrote:

Hugely overlooked on the whole - just chucking it into the mix. I know you all know, but for those who don't, it's the only wise thing I got to offer

I for one like less travel, but my skills are not up to the job as yet. Looking at buying a current geometry full-suss: max 150 front, 130/140 rear. Hidden behind 160 too long, scary isn't fun when your almost 49 lol

Any frame only options?

Steve at Vorsprung did a couple of great videos on the subject:

How Much Travel Do You Really Want?
How Much Travel Do You Really Need?

There are plenty of great bikes in that travel range. Any other features or characteristics that could help narrow the search?

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 5:12 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Soupherb wrote:

Any frame only options?

Steve at Vorsprung did a couple of great videos on the subject:

How Much Travel Do You Really Want?
How Much Travel Do You Really Need?

There are plenty of great bikes in that travel range. Any other features or characteristics that could help narrow the search?

Hey thanks!!! About to watch now

Easy to manual haha joking not joking

Stable, low standover - that new Kona Process 134 ?

Anyone ridden one yet?

Edit:

Just watched the first vid - makes sense to me, thank you tup bought a luftkappe for my 2018 Pike in 2017, made more of difference than I thought it would. TF tuned fitted & tuned, all set up sweet

Bike is for Bike Park Wales & such , taking hardtail too,mix things up

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 6:14 Quote
supposedly a prototype banshee

prototype banshee

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 6:55 Quote
scotteh wrote:
Circe wrote:
Yup, this is my exact experience with my Banshee Phantom as well. RMR, it’s pretty much exactly what you are thinking about - 105mm rear/120mm front, reasonably long top tube in XL for a 6 footer, steeper HA, short enough seat tube for a 150-175mm dropper.

An absolute BLAST on the right trail. Routinely find myself feeling undergunned for our local terrain, but it is an amazingly balanced and capable bike in certain circumstances. Fatal flaw is the chainstay length (445) IMO though. They are great for cornering and climbing, but not very playful. Lop 10-15mm off them and it would be a hoot and worth the sacrifice. Can’t go that fast on a bike like this anyway.

Phantom is still one of the most fun bikes I've owned. Maybe slightly undergunned for Squamish riding, but was the first 29'r I'd ridden that was actually fun and didn't feel like it had jank geo. Banshee was ahead of the game with the Phantom!

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 8:25 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
Easy to manual haha joking not joking

Stable, low standover - that new Kona Process 134 ?

Anyone ridden one yet?

You'll be disappointed to learn no bikes offer skills as an upgrade. I even tried buying a BMX; still no skills.

Short chainstays, long reach, and a slack head angle will hit your targets, but may produce an imbalanced feel due to the rearward weight bias. Can't have everything in a single package, unfortunately.

Haven't been on the new Process 134, but I've simulated the kinematics. Mildly progressive, anti-squat is somewhat low on the 27.5" (but higher than Konas prior to 2017) and slightly below average on the 29". Pretty straightforward on the suspension.

Geometry is spot-on average for 131 mm - 140 mm rear travel models introduced in 2018 and 2019.

It pretty much defines the current "average" for the category, with slightly soft pedaling characteristics and shorter than average chainstays.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 8:52 Quote
Any thoughts on the new Mezzer?

I really don't want to go coil, but finding a cheap low offset 36 Performance and dropping in a Avalanche Hybrid would probably be an end-all fork.

The Mezzer seems it would be a great fork for long term viability. 140mm on this bike, 180mm later, if necessary.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 8:53 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
Circe wrote:

Any frame only options?

Building a Ripley. Going to try 150mm front to see how it feels, but also have the 140mm spring for the 36 to lower it if I want.

Reason for the Ripley is I loved my Thunderbolt, and basically wanted to build the same idea, but in a 29”.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.048929
Mobile Version of Website