Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 8:54 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
ninjatarian wrote:
Sweet. I just wanted to make sure they won’t go snappy on me or something dumb.

Edit: 130g for the 70mm version. Damn.

How would you feel about Newmen or Syntace?

Can't remember if ninjatarian already bought a syntace for a previous build?

Maybe too costly for 60mm?

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 8:55 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Wow, don't know how I missed that. Makes sense for brand separation but a bit of a bummer, Easton was the first to really bring carbon bars to the dirt with solid strength and durability and they're always the first name I think of for carbon bars.

Still running Havoc bar/stem combo (31.8mm) on one of my bikes

Probably the most influential bar in the game back then? Or maybe one of the only good carbon bars back then!

DH strength but lightweight

Edit: influential bad wording, versatile better

O+
Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 9:04 Quote
Juliana with medium frame still hit 28lbs with similar cost. Might not be top end, but going AXS or 9100 wont shed too much weight, although different tires certainly would, so lets say min weight is probably still 27lbs, or high 26s.

I still feel the Ripley fits into a more classic trail bike category than these “downcountry” short travel brawlers. Its easier to hit lighter weights.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 9:20 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Juliana with medium frame still hit 28lbs with similar cost. Might not be top end, but going AXS or 9100 wont shed too much weight, although different tires certainly would, so lets say min weight is probably still 27lbs, or high 26s.

I still feel the Ripley fits into a more classic trail bike category than these “downcountry” short travel brawlers. Its easier to hit lighter weights.

Why is the Ripley perceived as a more classic trail bike, versus a "downcountry" brawler? Geo's seem similar enough. TB4 is slacker, but geo is otherwise similar.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 9:26 Quote
PHeller wrote:

Must say, all this Tallboy talk has made me look much much closer at the Ripley with possible purchase in mind. A very accomplished ride. Didn't know SC could help Ibis sales! Anyway, both extremely good bikes it seems

Not easily swayed here on overall weights, they change come upgrade time. Once I've shat,had a drink, taken a piss eaten some food .. bike covered in mud .. hear you though

Notice 2lbs overall weight difference, not much below that really ..'for me' anyhow

O+
Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 9:32 Quote
Reviewers and others have mentioned the Ripley isn't as confidence inspiring as other 120-130mm bikes on rough descents, but it climbs far better than anything else out there aside from more true XC bikes.

EDIT:

"How does it compare?

Ever heard of Trek's Fuel EX? You know, the one that was released only a few days ago. The one that I've been riding back-to-back against the Tallboy for the last month or so. Yeah, that one. We've got a video comparison of the two bikes (don't call it a shootout) coming out soon in which Kazimer and I actually agree on most of the talking points, but the bottom line is that the Tallboy and Fuel EX couldn't be more different.

With both bike's suspension left open, the Tallboy feels more than just marginally more efficient. Firmed up, the Fuel EX has plenty of jump to it, but you'll need to use that lever. No opinion there, just fact. The Fuel is a bit quicker in the steering department, and that'd make it my choice if the ride were full of awkward, mid-speed stuff instead of fast, rough, or steep trails - those places are where the Tallboy is more at home. Yes, both bikes are capable and adaptable, but it's also pretty neat that two companies ended up with such different solutions to the same purpose.

Given it has the same intentions and rear-wheel travel, the other bike we have to talk about is the new Ripley. The Ibis is the bike I'd choose if my rides were long and my climbs were hard, but the Tallboy feels more capable in the rough and steep."

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 9:42 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Wow, don't know how I missed that. Makes sense for brand separation but a bit of a bummer, Easton was the first to really bring carbon bars to the dirt with solid strength and durability and they're always the first name I think of for carbon bars.

Probably the most influential bar in the game back then? Or maybe one of the only good carbon bars back then!

Nuff people cracked the shit out of their Havoc stem. I was pretty into the details and specs but but four cracks after three rides left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 10:07 Quote
crs-one wrote:
Soupherb wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

Nuff people cracked the shit out of their Havoc stem. I was pretty into the details and specs but but four cracks after three rides left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

Design flaw / fitted improperly or sheer abuse?
Had no idea they had issues

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 10:19 Quote
Recommend a good 31.8 carbon bar, takes out the vibrations, way more than aluminum, even "vibrocore" doesn't even come close. One of my favorite upgrades.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 10:24 Quote
Enve still makes a nice 31.8 bar.

O+
Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 10:25 Quote
for a 760mm 31.8 bar, the deity Tmo is really good.

O+
Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 10:26 Quote
SQLab 30x is 780mm with a 12º sweep if you want something a little different.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 10:40 Quote
Anyone considering buying a Lapierre E Zesty mountain bike think twice, waited 2 months for it to arrive then after a mind blowing 10kms NOT It had to be taken to shop to have new cranks fitted as Lapierre had fitted wrong cranks to it, after eventually losing a months riding, finally get it back and the dropper post fails so 2 months 2 tiny rides for £5500 not bad avoid at all cost its clear Lapierre have released these without properly testing.

O+
Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 10:45 Quote
motofox250 wrote:
Anyone considering buying a Lapierre E Zesty mountain bike think twice, waited 2 months for it to arrive then after a mind blowing 10kms NOT It had to be taken to shop to have new cranks fitted as Lapierre had fitted wrong cranks to it, after eventually losing a months riding, finally get it back and the dropper post fails so 2 months 2 tiny rides for £5500 not bad avoid at all cost its clear Lapierre have released these without properly testing.

What was wrong about the cranks they had it built with?

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 10:48 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
crs-one wrote:
Soupherb wrote:

Design flaw / fitted improperly or sheer abuse?
Had no idea they had issues
Instructions say zero gap on top bolts only

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.051908
Mobile Version of Website