Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 16:59 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
Sharing knowledge without coming off like BBLB... Love you Badbad!! lol

bigquotesThe “competitive exclusion principle” (CEP), usually attributed to Gause (1934), states: “Two species with identical niches (and compete for a single resource) cannot coexist together indefinitely.”

"Opinionated jerk" had already been called, so I had to settle for being informative.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 17:01 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
whattheheel wrote:
lol Hey, being an a*shole is part of my charm!

What happened to SoCalMX... now that you mention it, that dude hasn't been around in ages, where'd he run off to?

He passed away too young, leaving behind a wife and toddler.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 17:03 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
Has anyone here used either a Pike Ultimate or Cane Creek Helm Works? Looking for feedback on durability and ease of tuneability. Most likely building a new bike in the near future and want to try something new...

Fox 36, Grip2, Smashpot.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 17:06 Quote
Circe wrote:
Holy shit... that's awful, he was a good dude.

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 17:13 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
clapforcanadaa wrote:
Has anyone here used either a Pike Ultimate or Cane Creek Helm Works? Looking for feedback on durability and ease of tuneability. Most likely building a new bike in the near future and want to try something new...

Fox 36, Grip2, Smashpot.

Not doing Fox. Better options out there.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 17:55 Quote
Grip2 is great. I like it a lot. But I wouldn't necessarily buy one if I was getting a new fork. Would probably get a Pike Ultimate.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 18:36 Quote
What about that New Manitou Mezzer?

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 18:49 Quote
Circe wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
whattheheel wrote:
lol Hey, being an a*shole is part of my charm!

What happened to SoCalMX... now that you mention it, that dude hasn't been around in ages, where'd he run off to?

No shit? That's terrible to hear.. He and I were pretty serious Yeti bros since we both had the ASR7 builds..

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 19:05 Quote
dchill wrote:
What about that New Manitou Mezzer?

Mezzer looks cool. Would run one fer sho. Somehow a 36 ended up being much cheaper on my last build though.

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 20:19 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
clapforcanadaa wrote:

Fox 36, Grip2, Smashpot.

I ran a Helm for a while, had it replaced under warranty (whole fork) once. It was really good, easy to set up and stiff, but the DLOCK axle was a ballache.

I'm on a Grip2 36 and it's as good. If I was doing it again I'd just go DVO, my Sapphire34 shits all over my 36 for small bump comfort and tuneability. As soon as the Onyx SC 29 180 is out (September) I'll be looking to swap it in.

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 21:14 Quote
heinous wrote:
clapforcanadaa wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

Fox 36, Grip2, Smashpot.

I ran a Helm for a while, had it replaced under warranty (whole fork) once. It was really good, easy to set up and stiff, but the DLOCK axle was a ballache.

I'm on a Grip2 36 and it's as good. If I was doing it again I'd just go DVO, my Sapphire34 shits all over my 36 for small bump comfort and tuneability. As soon as the Onyx SC 29 180 is out (September) I'll be looking to swap it in.

Good to know! I’m on Sapphire now and it’s definitely a much more supple fork off the top than the 34/36 I’d always used prior was. It could be my setup, but I’ll randomly blow through the travel on flat landing jumps and drops. Has amazing mid and end stroke control, but those random times where it seems to catch the fork off guard and it completely blows through travel put me off a bit.

What happened with your Helm?

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 21:20 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
clapforcanadaa wrote:

Fox 36, Grip2, Smashpot.

I never liked the FIT4 damper, but the GRIP2 is the best I've used. The air spring still has too short of a negative spring, so a Smashpot could make the GRIP2 36 the clear leader (not having tried a Mezzer yet).

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 22:16 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
clapforcanadaa wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

Fox 36, Grip2, Smashpot.

I never liked the FIT4 damper, but the GRIP2 is the best I've used. The air spring still has too short of a negative spring, so a Smashpot could make the GRIP2 36 the clear leader (not having tried a Mezzer yet).
Doesn't the Luftkappe increase the negative spring?

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 22:20 Quote
A Luftkappe could also address the negative spring.

My Helm failed pretty catastrophically early on. It turned out it had shipped without the lower bushes in the legs installed. Bizarre. Anyway, there was enough flex in the air piston that when landing in off a gap on a DH course here it ingested a load of air from the positive to the negative, very fast. Basically sucked violently down to full bottom and didn’t return. I managed to avoid going over the bars.
@clapforcanadaa
I’ve not had the issue you mention with my DVO. I assume it’s tuneable - have you asked DVO about it?

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 22:26 Quote
Granted I've been out of the game for a bit but the Lyrik Ultimate is unquestionably the best fork I've ever ridden thus far. I imagine the Pike with the Debonair and 2.1 RC2 friggin' rules. Fox hype is whack.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.051602
Mobile Version of Website