Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Aug 18, 2019 at 1:37 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Arnoodles wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

Yep.. 6'2 and 6'5 arm span.. Anything under 800 is almost unridable to me.
You both realize that the calculation puts your bar width at over 800mm right? That would but Ajax at about 805 and swan at 827.

I agree the calculation is a bit weird, but if you take into account his recommendation is between that .44xheight number and 5% less than that then it's not too bad. That would make it:

Ajax: 764-805
Swan: 786-827

Again I think the calculation oversimplifies it and I don't agree with the method, but keep in mind it doesn't contradict the numbers you just gave, especially if it's treated only as a starting point.
Lee McCormack is a boob in general.

According to him I should be on an 840mm bar... lol

And don't even get me started on RipRow. I can't believe people are dumb enough to buy that thing.
I hadn't seen that before but it looks hilarious lol

Posted: Aug 18, 2019 at 1:56 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
ninjatarian wrote:
So I swapped my 750mm bars from my old bike to my new bike, and they suddenly feel slightly narrow. Anyone else feel the need to run wider bars with a 29er?

According to Lee McCormacks calculation, 750mm is correct for my height.
Yea f*ck that calculation, i think arm length and shoulder width matter far more then your height. I'm about 6' tall but my arm spam is closer to 6"3' I find anything under 780 feels narrow and uncomfortable.

Really quite uncommon to have an armspan 3" larger than your height.

If only you did a sport like Boxing where it would be advantageous, where as for MTB it probably just makes sizing a pain in the ass.

Posted: Aug 18, 2019 at 2:38 Quote
tom666 wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

Yea f*ck that calculation, i think arm length and shoulder width matter far more then your height. I'm about 6' tall but my arm spam is closer to 6"3' I find anything under 780 feels narrow and uncomfortable.

If only you did a sport like Boxing where it would be advantageous, where as for MTB it probably just makes sizing a pain in the ass.
Not sure it's that uncommon. I'm about the same.

Posted: Aug 18, 2019 at 3:20 Quote
Arnoodles wrote:
tom666 wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

It's fairly uncommon among the general population, for whatever reason tall cyclists tend to have a longer wing span

Posted: Aug 18, 2019 at 3:31 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Arnoodles wrote:
tom666 wrote:

It's fairly uncommon among the general population, for whatever reason tall cyclists tend to have a longer wing span
Why would tall cyclists be different from tall anyone else?

Edit: based on some 13000 measurements, looks like an ape index over 1, and for many people much higher, isn't that uncommon.

Kind of interesting though that Caucasians seem to be quite low seeing as they make up the majority of mountain bikers.

Posted: Aug 18, 2019 at 7:56 Quote
I have a wingspan of 6' at 5'10". Great for rock climbing, not sure theres any real advantage on a bike..

Posted: Aug 18, 2019 at 10:46 Quote
B650wagon wrote:
Just watched this. It does look a bit funny:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtv6HBfYjLg

lol

Posted: Aug 18, 2019 at 12:47 Quote
Arnoodles wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
Arnoodles wrote:

Why would tall cyclists be different from tall anyone else?

Edit: based on some 13000 measurements, looks like an ape index over 1, and for many people much higher, isn't that uncommon.

Kind of interesting though that Caucasians seem to be quite low seeing as they make up the majority of mountain bikers.
I live in a very white area, a local college did a study and going that well over 80% of the people they had studied had an appointment indeed of 1. Fitting bikes in the same area I observed that most casual riders and new riders feel in line with this. However there was a uncanny amount of tall more hardcore riders in both road and mountain riders with long arms.

I always assumed the lanky kids where never popular so we opted for solo sports like cycling and suck with them.

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 6:48 Quote
The new Tallboy has a 65.5 HA?? Damn.

Also, I still haven’t warmed up to Santa Cruz’s Lower shock setup. It’ll be a sad day for me when the 5010 goes that direction.

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 8:12 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/product/Santa-Cruz-Bicycles/Tallboy-CC-X01-RSV/

Been bumped up a bit to 130 front, 120 rear

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 8:40 Quote
Why does the seat-tube seam to slack and gangly to me?

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 9:13 Quote
Circe wrote:

So much space for a big frame bag in that front triangle, could be great for bikepacking.

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 9:37 Quote
Not to mention with the super low standover it might be possible run a pretty big bag on the top tube as well.

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 9:38 Quote
Looks pretty sweet. One thing I notice is how slimmed down the tubes are. They definitely tried to make it lighter than the other frames of that design. I'm guessing that the top end build comes in around 26.9lbs.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.033335
Mobile Version of Website