Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 9:26 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Circe wrote:
You notice the Megatower , Hightower, and Tallboy 4 all have almost exactly the same head tube angle? Discuss.

Was talking to my rep about this. The idea was that you base your needs on travel alone, with the geo figures being beside the point. I'm not really sure it was the correct rhetoric, but hey.

Yeah I don't really agree with that. With more travel and a bike designed for more high speed, big hit riding I want a slacker head tube angle. It would be one thing if the flip chip made a significant difference in the geometry, but it really doesn't.

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 9:30 Quote
The linkage flipchip is moreso about changing the suspension dynamics. Changes it from linear to progressive to some degree, with a very slight variation in geo while it does.

I'm torn, as I really do think 65.5 is a bit too slack for around here, but it's got me very curious at the very least. Have ridden more than a few Smugglers and they were pretty fun, but a bit much on a lot of the stuff around here. Plus they just climb so poorly. If the Tallboy can pony up hill, it's going to be dumb fun everywhere else.

It's less of a trail bike and more of a short travel enduro bike.

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 9:37 Quote
sherbet wrote:
The linkage flipchip is moreso about changing the suspension dynamics. Changes it from linear to progressive to some degree, with a very slight variation in geo while it does.

I'm torn, as I really do think 65.5 is a bit too slack for around here, but it's got me very curious at the very least. Have ridden more than a few Smugglers and they were pretty fun, but a bit much on a lot of the stuff around here. Plus they just climb so poorly. If the Tallboy can pony up hill, it's going to be dumb fun everywhere else.

It's less of a trail bike and more of a short travel enduro bike.

You ever considered under forking it?

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 9:39 Quote
Don't want to steepen the seat angle. It's already over 76, which is plenty steep enough.

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 9:47 Quote
It's no where near an actual 76

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 9:48 Quote
iggzdaloc wrote:
It's no where near an actual 76

Steeper? Slacker? Don't have one in hand yet. Have yah ridden one?

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 9:51 Quote
Classic bs with seat angle measuring from BB. 76.6? Not a chance! At full extension on the dropper your ass is halfway between the BB and rear axle hahah

Rode one, was pretty, "meh" about it. Heavy for what it is. Lots of potential I'm just not a fan of the SA

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 9:55 Quote
Was the angle too steep or too slack for your tastes? Super interested in anything you have to say, honestly.

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 10:30 Quote
seraph wrote:
sherbet wrote:
Circe wrote:
You notice the Megatower , Hightower, and Tallboy 4 all have almost exactly the same head tube angle? Discuss.

Was talking to my rep about this. The idea was that you base your needs on travel alone, with the geo figures being beside the point. I'm not really sure it was the correct rhetoric, but hey.

Yeah I don't really agree with that. With more travel and a bike designed for more high speed, big hit riding I want a slacker head tube angle. It would be one thing if the flip chip made a significant difference in the geometry, but it really doesn't.

naw that's the furthest from the truth, with modern trail and enduro bikes, they can all descend and ascend fairly well, the travel is almost irrelevant. sure, more travel makes the ride more comfortable but rider position and bike geo are really what define a bikes characteristics

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 10:52 Quote
Circe wrote:

Well the Mega goes as slack as 64.7 and the Tall boy is 65.5. So it is almost a degree of difference really.

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 11:54 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
Circe wrote:

Well the Mega goes as slack as 64.7 and the Tall boy is 65.5. So it is almost a degree of difference really.
I put a -1 angle set on an older Bronson. It was noticeable for one ride at most then felt normal. I don’t think 1 degree is really that consequential on mixed terrain rides. If your zone is 90% mega steeps you’d probably appreciate it but otherwise it’s just not going to offer significant performance benefits on its own.

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 14:29 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
PHeller wrote:
Ok now where there is the person to chime and tell us that they could never get it to feel right?
So of the mrp suspension I've ridden has been amazing. I did about 1500km on a stage and about 250 on a ribbon both where great.

This.

I have an MRP Loop SL on my hardtail that trumps the Factory 32 Stepcast pretty hard when it comes to damping. Love that fork.

MRP is one of the only fork manufacturers utilizing a twin tube damper. It’s heavier, but it’s fantastic.

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 15:40 Quote
When I read that the Tallboy isn't compatible with coil shocks, it makes me want to try a coil shock on there. There's a 190x45 DB Coil Inline available.

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 16:03 Quote
Never cared for coil under 150mm of travel.

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 16:14 Quote
seraph wrote:
When I read that the Tallboy isn't compatible with coil shocks, it makes me want to try a coil shock on there. There's a 190x45 DB Coil Inline available.

but how would it fit

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.069120
Mobile Version of Website