Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 21:06 Quote
PHeller wrote:

5lbs 15oz would be rad.

Lmao basically 6 lbs

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 4:25 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
Any other recommendations?

Looking for a something 760mm bar w/ 35mm clamp, ~15mm rise

Stem- I want to try 60mm. After being blown away by the climbing ability of the Pivot Mach 4 SL with 75mm stem, I want to try something a little longer than the 40mm & 50mm I’ve been running.

After trying 35mm bars for a few years I went back to 31.8. 35 is a bit too stiff especially with alum bars

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 5:03 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
Sweet. I just wanted to make sure they won’t go snappy on me or something dumb.

Edit: 130g for the 70mm version. Damn.

How would you feel about Newmen or Syntace?

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 5:06 Quote
Spank vibrocore bar, Oozy stem. Comfy, strong. New graphics are clean.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 6:51 Quote
Just went to look at the width on the Haven 35 carbon bar and saw Easton quit making mountain components?? When did that happen?

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 6:51 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
ninjatarian wrote:

Syntace makes great shit, surprised they don't get more love.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 6:57 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Just went to look at the width on the Haven 35 carbon bar and saw Easton quit making mountain components?? When did that happen?

Wasn’t it when Raceface bought them? Easton for road and raceface for mountain?

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 6:57 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:

Several years ago after RF bought them. Didn’t make sense when RF already had a larger global reputation for mountain components. Plus (most importantly) Easton wheels had a really bad reputation. Their road wheels were finally starting to pick up traction (because they’re f’n awesome) so it made more sense to let RF focus on mountain and Easton focus on road/gravel/CX. The Easton engineers still help(d) on the RF side so there’s plenty of shared technology between brands.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 6:59 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Feel like I saw something about it last year - thought it was more of a brand positioning thing, with Easton focussing on road/gravel and Raceface doing MTB?

Edit: beaten to it lol

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 7:25 Quote
Wow, don't know how I missed that. Makes sense for brand separation but a bit of a bummer, Easton was the first to really bring carbon bars to the dirt with solid strength and durability and they're always the first name I think of for carbon bars.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 8:18 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Wow, don't know how I missed that. Makes sense for brand separation but a bit of a bummer, Easton was the first to really bring carbon bars to the dirt with solid strength and durability and they're always the first name I think of for carbon bars.

Yeah for sure. Their EC90 road stuff still crushes it. In California Easton was definitely the first name for most when it comes to mountain cockpit or wheels. However, outside of that they didn't have a ton of popularity. In fact, attempting to sell Easton in Texas was the only time I was told to "get the f*** out of my shop" in my entire sales career. I had booked a meeting with the buyer, but I'm pretty sure he only took it so he could tell an Easton employee how they really felt to their face!

It's ultimately for the best that they got out of the MTB game. Focusing on road has helped them crush it with their road products.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 8:29 Quote
Tallboy 4 - top level $8000 build - 28.3lbs

Considering I know guys who built their 7lbs Trail Pistol to 27lbs I'm guessing the frame is somewhere in the mid-sixes for frame+shock weight.

Does that make it a fail? No way. Still a rad bike, and they'll sell gobs of them. Does it make it a Ripley competitor? Eh...I still think the Ripley is the best option for an XC rider who likes to get rad.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 8:33 Quote
PHeller wrote:

Considering I know guys who built their 7lbs Trail Pistol to 27lbs I'm guessing the frame is somewhere in the mid-sixes for frame+shock weight.

Does that make it a fail? No way. Still a rad bike, and they'll sell gobs of them. Does it make it a Ripley competitor? Eh...I still think the Ripley is the best option for an XC rider who likes to get rad.

That wasn't the top level build. That's with X01.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 8:34 Quote
PHeller wrote:

I actually think it looks pretty good. The industrial design has improved alot since the Nomad! Too bad about that pea soup yellow.

What do you guys think of the new Intense?

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 8:54 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
ninjatarian wrote:

Can't remember if ninjatarian already bought a syntace for a previous build?

Maybe too costly for 60mm?

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.027392
Mobile Version of Website