Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 13:18 Quote
$1000 for cranks is too much. I would rather get XTR

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 13:47 Quote
Axxe wrote:
$1000 for cranks is too much. I would rather get XTR

Problem is.. I have XTR cranks on my hardtail and it's not even looked as kinda cool because they are not eewings.. You can't even get an entrance ticket to the sexy hardtail group without them. Haha

If you don't have eewings, you have no epeen.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 14:46 Quote
With the takeover of single front direct mount rings, I’m really surprised I don’t see more people just running 3 piece style cranks.

I remember Deity pushing 3 piece for mountain bikes with their Vendetta cranks years ago

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 14:53 Quote
What would be the advantage? Seems like they'd just be less durable but otherwise pretty much the same as current 1x cranks.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 14:58 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
What would be the advantage? Seems like they'd just be less durable but otherwise pretty much the same as current 1x cranks.

Highly adjustable due to being able to completely swap or upgrade the axle, very durable & impact resistant, but most of all - CHEAP. A set of BMX cranks is like, $50? That’s a fraction of the price of even budget aluminum mountain cranks like RaceFace Aeffect.

I tend to think they look slicker too- similar profile to eewings

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 15:32 Quote
Axxe wrote:
seraph wrote:
sherbet wrote:
Ti always looks good. I've never looked at a high zoot carbon bike and said to myself "wow those ti cages look out of place."

Oh, I have. Carbon bike, carbon cages.

Carbon bolts?

I've run carbon bolts in the past actually.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 20:07 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:

Highly adjustable due to being able to completely swap or upgrade the axle, very durable & impact resistant, but most of all - CHEAP. A set of BMX cranks is like, $50? That’s a fraction of the price of even budget aluminum mountain cranks like RaceFace Aeffect.

I tend to think they look slicker too- similar profile to eewings

The race face cinch style cranks are essentially 3 piece, you can take the spindle out of both crank arms and replace it if you wanted.

Other brands are similar, I think fsa and ethirteen? Whichever ones have marketing that says “future proof” or similar language.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 21:06 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
I've seen dudes do things do BMX cranks that would kill the most burly of mtb things.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 21:16 Quote

Been sending tons of bikepark laps on them xx1 cranks and they're solid.
In bike park mode here. 33lb 5oz, cushcore rear wheel, xl frame, heavy ass tires.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 21:19 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
I've seen dudes do things do BMX cranks that would kill the most burly of mtb things.

This^^

bmx guys are nutz

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 22:16 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Do they stack up in terms of weight though? I honestly know nothing about BMX but mountain bikers are nearly as weight conscious as roadies at this point and it seems like that's the source of more fragility in components than anything else.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 22:38 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Do they stack up in terms of weight though? I honestly know nothing about BMX but mountain bikers are nearly as weight conscious as roadies at this point and it seems like that's the source of more fragility in components than anything else.

My BMX cranks been heavy.

I think a bigger issue is that they are designed for 25t chainwheel. Larger ones would be flex with their attachment.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 22:42 Quote
Axxe wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

I think a bigger issue is that they are designed for 25t chainwheel. Larger ones would be flex with their attachment.
The mounting mechanism was originally used on race bikes that usually use a 40+ tooth chain ring. This is not an issue. The big thing would be weight, unless you get spendy the spindles are usually very thick chromo which adds a fair bit of heft.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 23:39 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Axxe wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

The mounting mechanism was originally used on race bikes that usually use a 40+ tooth chain ring. This is not an issue. The big thing would be weight, unless you get spendy the spindles are usually very thick chromo which adds a fair bit of heft.

Was going to say.. My splined profile BMX cranks have a 46t Chainring and I guarantee that top bmx pros put out more power than 95% of mtb riders out there..

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 23:43 Quote
Also, spline drive.....
pretty much solved the crappy one bolt wonky chainring issue with bmx cranks

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024453
Mobile Version of Website