Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Aug 29, 2019 at 15:53 Quote
I have a big container of Belray 5WT fork oil I use in my lyrik, Pike and have used it to add to my DHX2 aircan to keep things running smoothly between services.

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 at 16:04 Quote
Motorex Supergliss

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 at 16:17 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Maxima fluids is where it's at
yes

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 at 17:37 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:

they make good grease too

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 at 20:02 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Not for grip damper forks. The Teflon infused fluid is critical.

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 at 20:18 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
That's what they say but I call BS... there's really no reason that I can conceive of that would make that necessary and Teflon doesn't really "infuse" in oil. Marketing hype imo.

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 at 21:31 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
That's what they say but I call BS... there's really no reason that I can conceive of that would make that necessary and Teflon doesn't really "infuse" in oil. Marketing hype imo.
I mean before I left the shop I saw a number of failed grip dampers, all had been rebuilt without said Teflon oil. I would use it myself...

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 at 22:19 Quote
Any idea what about it would require special fluid?

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 at 23:28 Quote
MrMiyagi wrote:
I'm about to service my fox 36 grip 2 lowers and airside. Can I just use rockshox oil for that since I have a bunch of it? It seems kinda silly to buy two new oils from fox when I have the rockshox stuff. Really all the oil in the lowers does is lube the seals right?

Cheers

I'm not aware of any suspension manufacturer making their own fluid and few, if any, even use a custom spec. Typically, just find something with similar viscosity. The "weight" rating is a rough guide for viscosity; if you can find a spec such as "XX cSt @ 40°C", that's a much better measurement, though it's fine to not be exactly at the original spec.

The conversation between ajax-ripper and badbadleroybrown is interesting. I'm also skeptical about GRIP2 dampers - or any product - needing a special fluid, but I'm not sufficiently certain to recommend you ignore the spec.

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 0:13 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
The Teflon infused fluid is critical.

That's a load of shit, bud.

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 0:21 Quote
I know a buddy was out of float fluid and needed his shock the next day... So in Rockshox gold went... Shock went back for damper service a few weeks later and they denied warranty because of the "use of improper lubrication fluid"

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 1:07 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
I know a buddy was out of float fluid and needed his shock the next day... So in Rockshox gold went... Shock went back for damper service a few weeks later and they denied warranty because of the "use of improper lubrication fluid"
That's cos they are dicks

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 4:01 Quote
So I am pretty confident so use rockshox oil in the lowers. If it can lubricate a Lyrik it can lubricate a 36. Just the thing with the grip 2 damper side that worries me. Especially since ayax was very specific about it. Think I'll get some of the Teflon oil.

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 4:52 Quote
The grip 2 purges slight amounts of oil in and out of the damper through use. So that’s why it needs to be the same in the bath and the damper.
You’ve got a $1500 fork and you don’t want to spend $20 on fluid?

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 4:53 Quote
I don’t say much here, but I can add a little to this conversation. I spoke to one suspension engineer and he pointed out that certain oil additives are used. These additives sometimes intentionally contribute to seal swelling or reduce it. He said plenty of thought goes into the oil choice. To me that may be the biggest concern. That said, I am no saint when it comes to oil recommendations and was the reason I was scolded.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.026015
Mobile Version of Website