Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 11:29 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
Depends on the situation, but on the DH bike, I just ride it out.. The cushcore rides like the tire has 2-3 psi in it. Not ideal, but better than walking.

If you know the tricks of installing cushcore, it can be done with most tires without a tire iron.. Only the gnarliest dh tires I actually have to use a iron on...... But I have also probably done 50 cush core installs at this point... Ha

Makes sense on the DH bike where you just need to get to the bottom of the hill. But out on a big trail ride it doesn't make sense to ride it out for miles at the equivalent of 2-3 psi, especially at the risk of damaging carbon rims. Tube would need to go in. I'd probably be able to get the tire off out on the trail as I'm not using DH tires on the trail bike, but have no idea where I'd put the cushcore to ride out. Only thing stopping me from moving up to cushcore from huck norris...

Rambo style.

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 11:38 Quote
Didn't realize cushcore was flexible enough to be folded up and stuffed in a bib pocket. That's what I've done with huck norris, so if that's possible then it'll be my next insert. I figured Rambo style as suggested was the only way...

And huck norris has been useful to me. Although you're right, it does get damaged with each hit, so doesn't last long. And obviously doesn't offer the same level of protection. But at least it's something. Decided an insert in the back wheel is necessary after exploding a carbon rim in Moab a few months ago. No issues since.

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 11:46 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
Didn't realize cushcore was flexible enough to be folded up and stuffed in a bib pocket. That's what I've done with huck norris, so if that's possible then it'll be my next insert. I figured Rambo style as suggested was the only way...

And huck norris has been useful to me. Although you're right, it does get damaged with each hit, so doesn't last long. And obviously doesn't offer the same level of protection. But at least it's something. Decided an insert in the back wheel is necessary after exploding a carbon rim in Moab a few months ago. No issues since.

Even with inserts its still easy to blow up carbon rims in moab. I run alloy rims there now.

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 13:22 Quote
Kitejumping wrote:
Anyone go back to tubes with sealant in them after getting sick of burping tubeless tires or running heavy insert systems?
Just run more pressure... diminishes some benefit of tubeless but you're going to need to run more pressure in tubes regardless so it's not really a tradeoff if that's your alternative. I'll never go back to running tubes in the dirt.

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 13:24 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
Makes sense on the DH bike where you just need to get to the bottom of the hill. But out on a big trail ride it doesn't make sense to ride it out for miles at the equivalent of 2-3 psi, especially at the risk of damaging carbon rims. Tube would need to go in. I'd probably be able to get the tire off out on the trail as I'm not using DH tires on the trail bike, but have no idea where I'd put the cushcore to ride out. Only thing stopping me from moving up to cushcore from huck norris...
Wear that shit like a bandolier... that's what I always ended up doing with flat tubes.

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 13:40 Quote
Haven't carried a tube since getting Cushcore, hope i don't regret it one day Smile

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 13:44 Quote
sherbet wrote:
sosburn wrote:
Axxe wrote:
I tried pumping Stan’s into a tube one time. And it did not seal a simple thorn, Stan leaked between tube and tire. And it was both the weight of tube and sealant. I rather spend that weight on meatier tire. YMMV obviously.

Slime makes a sealant filled tube. works pretty güd

Just finished removing one from a tire about 5 minutes ago. Microscopic grain of glass was enough to puncture it in a way it couldn't seal. We see a lot of them as the local walmart pushes them. They're awful.

that sucks. i had one in an aluminum rear wheel and had 0 problems with it sealing although i have pinch flatted about 4-5 times with it

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 14:09 Quote
freerider11 wrote:

Cushcore is plenty flexible but definitely more bulky than a huck norrise, It might be a stretch to fit it in the back of bibs now that i think about it.

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 16:51 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
[ ... ] no idea where I'd put the cushcore to ride out. Only thing stopping me from moving up to cushcore from huck norris...

We've come full circle.

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 17:02 Quote
theweaz wrote:
freerider11 wrote:

Cushcore is plenty flexible but definitely more bulky than a huck norrise, It might be a stretch to fit it in the back of bibs now that i think about it.

I've seen others strap it to the frame where the tube was with the tubes strap.. I haven't had to yet because I havent had a single flat since installing cushcore over two years ago Big Grin

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 18:56 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
freerider11 wrote:
[ ... ] no idea where I'd put the cushcore to ride out. Only thing stopping me from moving up to cushcore from huck norris...

We've come full circle.

lol

This is still how I carry flat tubes on road rides

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 23:43 Quote
What's a flat tube? The only tubes I carry on road rides are spares.

Posted: Sep 6, 2019 at 0:05 Quote
Where I ride most of the time don't need inserts or big casing tires at all - we don't have any rocks.

Straight forward EXO casings no inserts go months without issues.

Then when we go to the Alps or a Welsh bike park though suddenly tires are blowing up all over the place. I can imagine the struggle being pretty real for people who ride rocky shit all the time.

Posted: Sep 6, 2019 at 0:35 Quote
tom666 wrote:
Straight forward EXO casings no inserts go months without issues.

Same here. Although i do get fair share of rocks through the year, local trails are soil and roots.
I'm either lucky enough or slow enough Big Grin

Posted: Sep 6, 2019 at 0:44 Quote
seraph wrote:
What's a flat tube? The only tubes I carry on road rides are spares.

Think they meant a tube that you've had to replace due to a flat.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025542
Mobile Version of Website