Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 21:12 Quote
Agree... but it'll still be hard as hell to get digital levers to modulate well and locked up brakes are a shitty proposition for walking out of the trail.

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 22:08 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Agree... but it'll still be hard as hell to get digital levers to modulate well and locked up brakes are a shitty proposition for walking out of the trail.
Few points:
Servos are used to actuate the brakes on nitro rc cars, I was able to get pretty good modulation on my 1/8th scale buggy back in the day. I imagine getting lever feel to be somewhat like what we are used to would be doable but would present some challenges.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with the air brake system used on transports. The air pots used have to halves the first is the parking section this has a big f*ck off style spring that applies the brakes when no air is in the system, the second applies the brakes when air pressure is supplied to this chamber. If a vehicle needs to be towed and there's no air available to release the springs they can be released manually (caged) for towing purposes. For our hypothetical electronic mtb brake we could have a stem that releases the arm from the servo so the bike can roll later the battery dies.

All things considered hydraulic brakes work very well, the lever feel and modulation can be easily tuned. They're reliable for an entire season without much upkeep and most importantly dailies resulting in complete loss oof braking are very rare. I don't see a need for wireless braking in mountain biking.

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 22:47 Quote
Servos have really shit modulation compared to what we're accustomed to on mountain bike brakes, and we still bitch about what we've got now. And getting lever feel to coordinate with servo modulation and present any kind of reasonable feedback is a huge challenge.

Riding out of a trail with one gear is a doable if shitty option, riding out with locked brakes or no brakes really isn't.

Nobody said it was necessary... but then nobody said wireless shifting or droppers were necessary either. Realistically, it's coming given the current trend. Could be years of but eventually they'll take a shot at it.

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 23:56 Quote
Great idea, make SRAM brakes less reliable > more speed

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 6:37 Quote
SRAM have been beaten to the wireless brake game already guys, where have your heads been buried??

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 7:29 Quote
That concept could have been cool, but the cables spewing out the steerer tube are just as unsightly imo

I mean it is still pretty cool, but it could be a lot cooler

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 7:45 Quote
tom666 wrote:
That concept could have been cool, but the cables spewing out the steerer tube are just as unsightly imo

I mean it is still pretty cool, but it could be a lot cooler

I guess if you're going that way you could do it with an integrated bar and stem combo and have cables exit through the stem somewhere.

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 7:46 Quote
needs a small hole in the steerer tube for it to exit into the downtube

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 8:12 Quote
ktm87 wrote:
needs a small hole in the steerer tube for it to exit into the downtube

It would have to be a really wide hole in order to be able to turn and no slice all your hoses off, and a wide hole would take away a lot of the strength of the steerer tube.

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 8:17 Quote
it would depend on the frame. the carbon frames ive had have hard large holes where the downtube meets the headtube. if you have a system like a knock block to keep bars from turning all the way around it would be a problem. ive been working on a similar design for a frame im building that has the cable run thru the headtube into downtube but its for dual crown so i dont have to worry about having a steerer tube

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 9:01 Quote
ktm87 wrote:
ive been working on a similar design for a frame im building that has the cable run thru the headtube into downtube but its for dual crown so i dont have to worry about having a steerer tube

Dual crowns still use and rely on a steerer tube bud

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 9:17 Quote
tom666 wrote:
ktm87 wrote:
ive been working on a similar design for a frame im building that has the cable run thru the headtube into downtube but its for dual crown so i dont have to worry about having a steerer tube

This is going to be good ... Wink

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 9:18 Quote
tom666 wrote:
ktm87 wrote:

Maybe he’s going the Intend dual crown route

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 9:22 Quote
tom666 wrote:
ktm87 wrote:

not mine

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 9:35 Quote
Was waiting for that.. Lol.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.037648
Mobile Version of Website