Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 10:34 Quote
Doesn't the mojo fork just have a threaded bar down the headtube?

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 10:39 Quote
That's how mine is and also the intend. Long bolt that goes up thru the bottom crown and threads into top crown to give tension

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 11:05 Quote
The Maverick DUC32 also had no steer tube.
0 Maverick DUC32 Air Sprung Forks 34698

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 23:55 Quote
Not particularly weight related, but a light weight option would be good...

Just wondering what people’s recommended dropper posts are currently? Long term reverb user and looking to get something cable actuated, ideally it needs to clamp at the lever end. I don’t need a ridiculously long drop (150mm), just want something sensible, reliable and user serviceable that doesn’t cost a bomb!

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 0:21 Quote
wohwee wrote:

Just wondering what people’s recommended dropper posts are currently? Long term reverb user and looking to get something cable actuated, ideally it needs to clamp at the lever end. I don’t need a ridiculously long drop (150mm), just want something sensible, reliable and user serviceable that doesn’t cost a bomb!

Recently bought a SDG Tellis and it's been flawless so far. And I guess it meets all your criteria. I've been switching from Reverb too.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 0:21 Quote
Well all of them are cable actuated except for Reverb.
Everyone will praise the dropper they own, what's your budget is the better question. Also, internal or external routing, diameter, color?

Very happy with my BikeYoke Revive. If I were buying something now, I'd go OneUp and choose a lever I like from other brands.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 1:40 Quote
Pnw are pretty decent. Also the loam lever is the best I’ve felt

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 6:17 Quote
wohwee wrote:

I work for SDG so I’m obviously biased, but the Tellis easily ticks all your boxes. Easiest post out there to install as cable clamps at lever, so you pull cable through, tighten it and adjust tension to preference. It uses Trelleborg seals to keep contaminants out and now runs IGUS bushings so it’s smoother than ever. Most importantly though is how damn easy it is to service yourself. Basic tools are all that’s required to completely strip down the post. You can swap a cartridge in under 10 minutes including removing post from the bike. We sell them direct in the UK for £200 and it comes with a two year warranty so it should be a solid deal.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 6:30 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
wohwee wrote:

I work for SDG so I’m obviously biased, but the Tellis easily ticks all your boxes. Easiest post out there to install as cable clamps at lever, so you pull cable through, tighten it and adjust tension to preference. It uses Trelleborg seals to keep contaminants out and now runs IGUS bushings so it’s smoother than ever. Most importantly though is how damn easy it is to service yourself. Basic tools are all that’s required to completely strip down the post. You can swap a cartridge in under 10 minutes including removing post from the bike. We sell them direct in the UK for £200 and it comes with a two year warranty so it should be a solid deal.

Plus with Clap at the helm you know you will have excellent customer service. Wink

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 8:08 Quote
Thanks for the suggestions there guys!

I wasn't overly specific about my criteria because I'm looking to pick something up 2nd hand, so beggars can't really be choosing. I just want a few ideas of what's decent so I can look out for one rather than picking up some dogshit post.

It's 31.6 and internal routed I need, which most posts are offered in, so not an overly important detail. I like the idea of cable clamping at the lever for ease of setup, adjustment, cable length shortening etc etc.

Keep the recommendations coming and let me know why you rate them!

Off to look at the Tellis now..

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 8:19 Quote
wohwee wrote:

I wasn't overly specific about my criteria because I'm looking to pick something up 2nd hand, so beggars can't really be choosing. I just want a few ideas of what's decent so I can look out for one rather than picking up some dogshit post.

It's 31.6 and internal routed I need, which most posts are offered in, so not an overly important detail. I like the idea of cable clamping at the lever for ease of setup, adjustment, cable length shortening etc etc.

If you are considering used just look at the brand X posts on chain reaction they are cheap and work. I have been on mine for 6 months now with no issues except a little bit of play.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 9:03 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
wohwee wrote:

If you are considering used just look at the brand X posts on chain reaction they are cheap and work. I have been on mine for 6 months now with no issues except a little bit of play.

Are you able to obtain small parts for Trans-X? They seem like fine posts for the money, but the lack of small parts and ability to service seemed like an issue. The posts I've personally tried all felt exactly as you'd expect of a bargain post. Good for what they are, but you certainly get what you pay for.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 9:44 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
wohwee wrote:

Are you able to obtain small parts for Trans-X? They seem like fine posts for the money, but the lack of small parts and ability to service seemed like an issue. The posts I've personally tried all felt exactly as you'd expect of a bargain post. Good for what they are, but you certainly get what you pay for.

Yeah could be an issue. A buddy of mine was able to go the local bike shop and get a replacement cartridge (this after 2 years of zero maintenance) and I am currently using my post with Raceface lever or you can use a loam lever if you want as well.

My main reason for suggesting was he was looking for used and I would take new with a dropper over used any day.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 9:47 Quote
How has the longevity of the cartridge been for the Tellis?

My Command Post has gone 4 years of flawless performance, but the main seal is finally giving up the ghost. Won't hold air for more than a few rides. Rebuild kit is $30, but the "Bullet Tool" is required for a solid rebuild. I was thinking of rebuilding it then having a local shop put it back together with their bullet tool.

Some companies offer a $35-$70 cartridge that can be replaced with basic tools. Hard to beat that nowadays. While the Revive is probably the best hydraulic post on the market, eventually its seals will fails and it'll need torn apart to rebuild, and Revive has A LOT of seals, even if it can be done with basic tools and patience.

Cartridges are the way to go.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 9:59 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
wohwee wrote:

I'll announce my bias since I got a brodeal from clap on my Tellis, but my 170 has been hand down the best post I have owned and my favorite of all the posts I have seen come through the shop.. It's been my goto recommendation for customers.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022056
Mobile Version of Website