Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 10:04 Quote
PHeller wrote:
How has the longevity of the cartridge been for the Tellis?

My Command Post has gone 4 years of flawless performance, but the main seal is finally giving up the ghost. Won't hold air for more than a few rides. Rebuild kit is $30, but the "Bullet Tool" is required for a solid rebuild. I was thinking of rebuilding it then having a local shop put it back together with their bullet tool.

Some companies offer a $35-$70 cartridge that can be replaced with basic tools. Hard to beat that nowadays. While the Revive is probably the best hydraulic post on the market, eventually its seals will fails and it'll need torn apart to rebuild, and Revive has A LOT of seals, even if it can be done with basic tools and patience.

Cartridges are the way to go.

I have 50+ rides on my Tellis in cold and shit rain conditions and have no adverse effects..

And I rebuild a few command posts a week and have started to loath doing them.. Even with the bullet tool and the spacers, sometimes the quad seal still will chunk out.. It's super annoying.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 10:23 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
PHeller wrote:
My Command Post has gone 4 years of flawless performance, but the main seal is finally giving up the ghost. Won't hold air for more than a few rides. Rebuild kit is $30, but the "Bullet Tool" is required for a solid rebuild. I was thinking of rebuilding it then having a local shop put it back together with their bullet tool.

And I rebuild a few command posts a week and have started to loath doing them.. Even with the bullet tool and the spacers, sometimes the quad seal still will chunk out.. It's super annoying.

Is the Quad Seal the one that does most of the work?

What does your shop charge to rebuild?

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 10:26 Quote
PHeller wrote:

Some companies offer a $35-$70 cartridge that can be replaced with basic tools. Hard to beat that nowadays. While the Revive is probably the best hydraulic post on the market, eventually its seals will fails and it'll need torn apart to rebuild, and Revive has A LOT of seals, even if it can be done with basic tools and patience.

My cartridge just failed last week after 3+ years as being the test mule. Best part? I put a new cartridge in within 10 minutes and just used a 2.5mm & 10mm hex. Didn't even have to remove the saddle.

There's only one specialized tool for the Tellis which is required to remove the lock nut in the actuator, but we include that tool with the cartridge kit or the actuator kit. Replacement cartridges are just $45 as well, so they're cheap as chips to buy if it's out of warranty or you just want a spare to save yourself downtime.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 10:27 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
PHeller wrote:

My cartridge just failed last week after 3+ years as being the test mule. Best part? I put a new cartridge in within 10 minutes and just used a 2.5mm & 10mm hex. Didn't even have to remove the saddle.

There's only one specialized tool for the Tellis which is required to remove the lock nut in the actuator, but we include that tool with the cartridge kit or the actuator kit. Replacement cartridges are just $45 as well, so they're cheap as chips to buy if it's out of warranty or you just want a spare to save yourself downtime.

Niiiiice

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 10:31 Quote
PHeller wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
PHeller wrote:

Is the Quad Seal the one that does most of the work?

What does your shop charge to rebuild?

Yes.. The old versions just used a big o ring and now all the rebuild kits use the quad seal. We charge $45 labor for the over haul and the seal kit is 35 or 39 if I remember correctly.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 10:31 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
clapforcanadaa wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:

If you are considering used just look at the brand X posts on chain reaction they are cheap and work. I have been on mine for 6 months now with no issues except a little bit of play.

Are you able to obtain small parts for Trans-X? They seem like fine posts for the money, but the lack of small parts and ability to service seemed like an issue. The posts I've personally tried all felt exactly as you'd expect of a bargain post. Good for what they are, but you certainly get what you pay for.

Yeah could be an issue. A buddy of mine was able to go the local bike shop and get a replacement cartridge (this after 2 years of zero maintenance) and I am currently using my post with Raceface lever or you can use a loam lever if you want as well.

My main reason for suggesting was he was looking for used and I would take new with a dropper over used any day.

That is a good thing about Trans-X is that it's the exact same off the shelf post that the majority of OEM's and essentially the same as Race Face Aeffect or PNW. Although still not easy to source small parts at least several brands re-brand the same model so you can obtain parts for it fairly easily.

Re: lever feel, I was more referring to the force required to compress the lever and how much stiction those posts have. Bit of an ounder-rated advantage of the Tellis is how minimal of force is required to compress the lever. Newest Tellis with IGUS bushing has so little stiction that they're becoming rather popular on kids builds. ~50lb riders are actuating the lever and dropping the post with zero qualms.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 10:37 Quote
Can I use the Tellis with my Specialized SRL lever?

I'm still hesitant to give up my 15mm setback.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 10:40 Quote
PHeller wrote:

No.. The tellis has the cable head at the post vs at the lever for the command post.. The tellis lever is really nice and has a super light action as clap mentioned. I didn't miss my SRL levers moving to the tellis.

Clap.. Send me some all dressed chips and poutine..been craving it lately..

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 11:18 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
PHeller wrote:

No.. The tellis has the cable head at the post vs at the lever for the command post.. The tellis lever is really nice and has a super light action as clap mentioned. I didn't miss my SRL levers moving to the tellis.

Yeah they stopped selling the all dressed chips here in the States. Those are the best chips ever.

You can use the Wolftooth LA remote or the cane creek if you want adjustable levers. Switched my Tellis to the WT remote.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 11:36 Quote
dchill wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
PHeller wrote:

Yeah they stopped selling the all dressed chips here in the States. Those are the best chips ever.

You can use the Wolftooth LA remote or the cane creek if you want adjustable levers. Switched my Tellis to the WT remote.

Literally, just wondering if I can switch mine (WT)

Ideal

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 11:42 Quote
dchill wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
PHeller wrote:

I'd agree that the stock lever is OK for one that's included, but definitely lacks any adjustment or interchangeable mounts. Sure would be cool if there was a new version coming in early 2020 that had something like 30 degree reach adjustment, 10mm lateral adjustment and interchangeable mounts. A boy can dream...Wink

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 11:56 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
dchill wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

I'd agree that the stock lever is OK for one that's included, but definitely lacks any adjustment or interchangeable mounts. Sure would be cool if there was a new version coming in early 2020 that had something like 30 degree reach adjustment, 10mm lateral adjustment and interchangeable mounts. A boy can dream...Wink

Do I find this next to the all dressed chips? Because both sound amazing.

I do enjoy the nubs.. Brings pleasure to the thumb.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 12:08 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
clapforcanadaa wrote:
dchill wrote:

I really want more of those chips....Swan now i have to see how to smuggle the all dressed chips into the
states.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 12:19 Quote
dchill wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
clapforcanadaa wrote:

I really want more of those chips....Swan now i have to see how to smuggle the all dressed chips into the
states.

Next time I head to canadaland to go ride, I am smuggling some back..

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 12:21 Quote
Try Hardbite Ghost Pepper

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.026282
Mobile Version of Website