Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 16:34 Quote
Sintered Metallic all the things

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 16:40 Quote
I've got the Swiss Stop finned pads on my Guide RS brakes and I really like them, for whatever that's worth.

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 18:25 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:

+1

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 20:30 Quote
scjeremy wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
Totally off topic..

Dad and I are finishing up a new shop and we are trying to figure out bike storage solution that doesn't use up floor space and keeps bikes out of harms way (we weld/grind/automotive work daily) We have 15ish bikes to store and I was hoping to lift them up 10ft+ since we put 18ft rafters in.

I was thinking about a beam with hooks for tires and a pulley system with an electric winch that raises and lowers the entire assembly down to floor level and then back up to the rafters..

Anyone ever seen a similar setup or have any other suggestions?
I was actually thinking about this more seriously. I love designing and building stuff like this. I would look into building a large scale aluminum tray rack setup with alternating bike directions. You could rig it to a chain and hand crank pully system. Down side would be youd need a large area of the shop cleared out to lower it.

Looking at the layout of the shop, I will have a spot where the floor should always be open to allow the use of the car lift.

Basically my idea is to build a T frame with hooks on the ends of the T and a 4x8' sheet of plywood in the center. That way you could have 4-5 bikes on either side of the plywood and then hoist the entire assembly upto 15' with a 800lb electric cable hoist with the controller mounted on the wall. That way wife, sister and mom can load and unload bikes without dad or I.

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 20:55 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:

+1

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 23:24 Quote
sosburn wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:

+1

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 12:31 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
sosburn wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:

+1

Disagree

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 14:38 Quote
Yeah I usually run organic pads.

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 15:19 Quote
seraph wrote:
Yeah I usually run organic pads.

I prefer organic as well. They have better initial bite especially in cold weather. Metallic don’t work well until they get some heat in them. They are also noisier than organic.

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 16:44 Quote
Probably a wet weather thing, I find they work well in the wet,last, and resist fading the most. The fade on long steep descents with organic can be pretty bad.

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 19:29 Quote
Yeah, I like top to bottom 5 km dh runs...I find organic pads aren't working very well when I'm 2/3 the way down. Metallics always have a nice bite (imo) and the noise doesn't really bother me.

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 21:44 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
Probably a wet weather thing, I find they work well in the wet,last, and resist fading the most. The fade on long steep descents with organic can be pretty bad.

That's why I run the Swisstop Disc 31 finned pads on my Guide RS brakes. No more brake fade, but super quiet braking too.

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 22:38 Quote
seraph wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:

That's why I run the Swisstop Disc 31 finned pads on my Guide RS brakes. No more brake fade, but super quiet braking too.

Nerd.

But yeah organic for the win. If you live in bend Oregon where is dusty and flat trails haha.

Posted: Sep 22, 2019 at 8:20 Quote
I have Hope brakes and the only time I ever got brake fade with organic pads was when I used Ashima light weight rotors on long fast descents. When I switched back to the Hope rotors, No more fade. Those Swiss Stop pads look pretty cool though. I didn’t see any for Hope on their website though. Bummer.

Posted: Sep 22, 2019 at 8:30 Quote
I've run a few different compounds and cooling fins vs no cooling fins. Never found it makes much difference.

Perhaps it's because you go from a super worn set of pads to a new set which are a tonne thicker (change in lever feel) and are not bedded in yet so always feel a bit shit. By the time they've bedded in I've forgot what the last ones were like and this is now the new normal.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021390
Mobile Version of Website